Upgrading from 3.0.11 to 3.2.x

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BoarX

Upgrading from 3.0.11 to 3.2.x

Post by BoarX »

Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade our forum from 3.0.11 to 3.2.x - yes, we are that outdated and are in danger of loosing support for our old PHP version. We are with BlueHost. I am following to the letter the upgrade instructions provided a while ago by Robert (Lumpy) here:
viewtopic.php?p=15360546#p15360546

So far no luck and my biggest suspect is PHP version problem. With BlueHost we are limited to either "PHP 5.2 (eig-php52)" - this is what our phpBB 3.0.11 runs with - or PHP 7.0 (ea-php70) and above. I have downloaded phpBB version 3.1 and FTPed it into our home directory on BlueHost, retaining old config.php and /images /files/ and /store folders. According to Robert, for the upgrade our PHP version should have been "at least PHP 5.4 and less than PHP 7". Well, when I attempt .../install/database_update.php via the browser with PHP 5.2 active, I get Error 500. When I switch us to PHP 7.0 I get something more intelligent, yet not the expected:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
mysql_connect function does not exist, is mysql extension installed? []
BACKTRACE
FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

and more of the same.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as BlueHost does not offer required "5.4 but less than 7" version of PHP.

Question: should we try different version sequence along the upgrade path and what PHP versions would that require? BlueHost offers every single one from 7.0 through 7.4 . I don't have high hopes of them supplying us with anything between 5.2 and 7.0.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Upgrading from 3.0.11 to 3.2.x

Post by Brf »

BoarX wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:30 pm
mysql_connect function does not exist, is mysql extension installed? []
In config.php, change "mysql" to "mysqli"
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Thanks Brf, looks like it worked!

I only wish I could understand how the data base version is related to PHPO - if at all, but this is a question for someplace else.

One minor thing: postings in the newly updated forum do not show moderator - they did in the old one. Is it necessary to re-assign the moderator now? And what other administrating jobs need to be performed?

Thanks again!
Alex
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

BoarX wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:33 pm I only wish I could understand how the data base version is related to PHPO - if at all, but this is a question for someplace else.
It isn't the database version -- it is the connector. The PHP mysql_connector was obsoleted with PHP 7.0, so you need to use the mysqli one.
One minor thing: postings in the newly updated forum do not show moderator - they did in the old one. Is it necessary to re-assign the moderator now?
I am not sure what you mean by "show moderator". Do you mean the moderator's name does not show on the forumlist, or that you expect the user's post to need moderation?
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Thanks again Brf! I am learning slowly throughout this ordeal.
Brf wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:09 pm I am not sure what you mean by "show moderator". Do you mean the moderator's name does not show on the forumlist, or that you expect the user's post to need moderation?
The former - unlike in the old forum, where every sub-forum in the Board Index was shown with moderator's name, in the new one this space is blank.
Hence my question about the additional administrative tasks needed to be performed after the forum upgrade - if any.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Near the bottom of the ACP front page there is a link to Load Settings. In there is a setting to display moderators on the forumlist.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Hi Brf, thanks again, all clear!

Just performed the main database upgrade, so we are now running phpBB version 3.1 - phew! The forum and sub forums open just fine, I can post, however when I click on "submit" a post I am getting a screen with the following message:

Information
The specified search backend doesn’t exist.

With the old 3.0 forum I used to get a posting confirmation. The message gets posted alright, so is this some known glitch?

Thanks,
Alex
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Is the search setting enabled in ACP General?
Enable search facilities:
Enables user facing search functionality including member search.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Hmm, trying to reach ACP results in:

General Error
Cannot find module ./../includes/acp/main.php

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 571
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/adm/index.php
LINE: 81
CALL: p_master->load_active()

The folder ...includes/acp/ does not, in fact contain main.php, but acp_main.php instead. All files in includes/acp/ folder have acp_ prefix - just like on the old phpBB version 3.0.11.

Should those prefixes be removed maybe?

Thanks,
Alex
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Dang, my issue seems to be exactly the same as described in this old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2285986

and doesn't seem to be ever resolved :( The forum works in general, but ACP, UCP, Private messages links result in a crash similar to the one posted in the previous message. Reinstalled all files, made sure my config.php is correct per this:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... gphp-file/

cleaned cache, still no luck :(

Somehow the issue appears to be with files in /includes subfolder, which are used to run ACP, UCP and other stuff. All these files have acp_ , ucp_ , etc. prefixes, but the system wants to see the version of these files without prefixes. Are these files supposed to be created on the fly?

Baffled,
Alex
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

both of you are having these problems because you did not completely remove all the old MOD files and database entries for them.

doing that is part of the required steps in the instructions on how to upgrade from 3.0

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Robert,

I have followed your previous instructions to the letter and I have installed the support toolkit and ran the database cleaner prior to the upgrade. What additional cleanup steps do I need to do?

Alex
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

BoarX wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:27 pm Robert,

I have followed your previous instructions to the letter and I have installed the support toolkit and ran the database cleaner prior to the upgrade. What additional cleanup steps do I need to do?

Alex
Run all tests, then test your 3.0.11 and if everything works as expected, you can safely upgrade to 3.2.x (latest version preferably) using php 7.1.3 or higher but lower than php 7.3) (following Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.2).
That php version will also allow running phpBB3.3.x
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Thanks warmweer, just to be sure, what exactly do you refer to as "run all tests"? Sorry for being persnickety, hope you understand.
Alex
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

BoarX wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:28 pm Thanks warmweer, just to be sure, what exactly do you refer to as "run all tests"? Sorry for being persnickety, hope you understand.
Alex
All tests available in the Support Toolkit, and then use your 3.0.x to ascertain that the basic functions work.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”