Starting Basics Advice

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
theqentity

Starting Basics Advice

Post by theqentity »

Hi,

I used to do a forum, but it was 'so' long ago I've forgotten most everything.

My end game is to have forum hosted on my domain.

1) I'm considering using Godaddy, who provide databases and domains as part of the package. Can phpBB be 'installed' on my domain?
2) if they can, is that advisable?
3) I have no idea 'how' to install it on the godaddy ... and I'd wanna know it can be, before I sign up to them - hence I don't know their UI right now etc.

Any advice on how best to proceed please?

Thanks

G
david63

Re: Starting Basics Advice

Post by david63 »

theqentity wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:21 am
Can phpBB be 'installed' on my domain?
Yes
theqentity wrote:
if they can, is that advisable?
That is a question that only you can answer.

If you look around this board you will find many topics where there are problems with phpBB boards hosted on GoDaddy
theqentity wrote:
I have no idea 'how' to install it on the godaddy
See https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/ug/
theqentity wrote:
using Godaddy, who provide databases and domains as part of the package
A word of caution. I, and many others, would not advise having both domain and hosting with the same provider as a problem with one may impact on the other. For example many years ago I had a domain and hosting with the same provider and when their server was hacked over the Easter holidays and I wanted to move hosts they refused to transfer the domain. Since then I have had my domains held totally separate from any hosting meaning that I can move hosts at a moments notice if needed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
theqentity

Post by theqentity »

Thanks for that, very useful.

This is going to be a community forum, not a business, and low-traffic, and not the end of the world if it goes down. So I'm up for the easiet option.

I can't see a way (yet) to get only domain with GoDaddy, and common issues with php have put me off that now.

Bluehost seems an option for Domain or Hosting. Host Monster seems only Host&Domain combo (like GoDaddy), but not keen on them for Hosting as clearly US orientated.

I'm open for recommendations on a Host or Domain to pair with Bluehost and still enable php?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

go to godaddy and register your new domain name. that is what godaddy has been for years, a good domain name registrar.
they added hosting later and do NOT have a good rep for hosting things like phpBB etc.

then, go to bluehost and get a standard shared hosting account.

once you have done that you then go back to godaddy and go to your domain name account and point your domain to the DNS that bluehost will give you in your signup email.

then, you go to your bluehost account cpanel and create a blank database for phpBB to use. make note of the database name, database user name and database password.

then, you come back here and download the full package of phpBB
then, using your ftp program like filezilla , you connect to your bluehost account using the ftp info in that signup email from bluehost and upload the phpBB files/folders to your new hosting account.

then you follow the install instructions for phpBB

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”