Can't login or access admin page

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
seanlancaster

Can't login or access admin page

Post by seanlancaster »

I think I last used this forum about 2 years ago to teach a class. I can't remember if I moved away because of the error or just found it now. I have other domains I have been using more recently. Anyway, this site has nearly 25,000 posts on this forum from years of teaching. There are 1,536 topics in the forums (but only visible to members, so nothing shows on the main screen to outsiders). I hate to lose it all. I am not sure which version of phpbb I have and I can't access it since I can't login it. The only links are for guests. Am I screwed? I try to stay on top of upgrading (I typically do it a few weeks after a class ends; never in the middle of a semester).
The text at the top is:

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 583: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 639: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4516: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3262)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4516: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3262)
Thanks for any tips that can possibly save my site.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.05.22 AM.png
-sean
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Can't login or access admin page

Post by Brf »

Your host upgraded their version of PHP. You need to upgrade your phpBB to a newer version which supports your host PHP version.
seanlancaster

Post by seanlancaster »

I suspected something like that (Bluehost).

Can I upgrade without logging in and setting the board to the mode where it is being worked on? And:
Deactivate all styles except for prosilver

Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.3. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.
-sean
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Based on their documentation they are using Cpanel and you may be able to select lower version.

Go into Cpanel ,under software heading find the multi php manager icon and you can try reverting it to older version there. If it's not listed you'll need to see if host will temporarily revert it. If you can revert it don't hesitate upgrading phpBB because at some point down the road you are going to be in same boat again and won't have option to revert it.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
seanlancaster

Post by seanlancaster »

I didn't see that in time. I've been following the update directions here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/

Though, I just tried to update and get the following error. Sigh.
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 2.57.12 PM.png
-sean
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Actually, the instructions on that link tell you to use the "Full Package" and do the Database Update. You would not be running the File Updater portion.
seanlancaster

Post by seanlancaster »

I have gone in and changed my php version to 7.3 instead of 7.4. I need to see if I have back up so I can restore the directory that contained the previous forum software this morning.
-sean
seanlancaster

Post by seanlancaster »

Brf wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:10 pm Actually, the instructions on that link tell you to use the "Full Package" and do the Database Update. You would not be running the File Updater portion.
Download the phpBB 3.3 Full Package archive . . . I clicked that and downloaded the full package as a zip file. I opened it and followed the next steps.

Extract the contents of the archive to your computer and open the phpBB3 directory

Delete the following files from the package:

The config.php file

The images/ directory

The files/ directory

The store/ directory

On your website, delete all files from your board EXCEPT for:

The config.php file

The ext/ directory

The images/ directory

The files/ directory

The store/ directory

Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from your computer to your forum's directory. You may be prompted to overwrite the remaining files. If prompted to merge or overwrite directories, choose to merge them.

I have no idea how I screwed that up, if I did.
-sean
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It doesn't look like you updated database and didnlt remove any files like extensions. You should be able to just upload phpBB files and be right back where you started. If you need older versions of phpBB files they can be found here:

https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/

Just follow the directions like you are upgrading accept you do not want to upload install folder. Proceed to ACP to prepare for upgrading....
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

seanlancaster

Post by seanlancaster »

I cannot login to my forum. I have added all of the full update files noted for 3.3.4. I didn't upload the install folder and my forum looks fine. But to do this:
Update the database:

Tip
For large boards, you may wish to update via the command line instead of using a web browser. From your board's root, execute the following command: php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode

Using your web browser, visit install/ in your board's root. (e.g. http://www.example.com/yourforum/install)

Click the Update tab

Click the Update button

Select "Update database only" and click Submit
I seem to need the install folder. Though, when I add that folder, I do not get the option to update the database only. If I remove the install folder, I can see my board and no longer see errors everywhere, so that's good. I think that was going back to version 7.3 of php. But I also no longer have a link to login. I'd need to login to get to the administration pages (ACP) to continue, I think.
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 4.51.12 PM.png
-sean
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

seanlancaster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 pm I seem to need the install folder.
Back up a second.... I'm presuming you have not tried to install 3.3.X which would of run database update. Download the files for your current version from here:

https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/

Follow the directions just as if you were updating but do not upload install folder. You should now have normal functioning forum at this point running the version you had before all this started. With the lower php version the errors shoul no longer be present and you can get into ACP to disable extensions or whatever else you need to do in ACP before upgrading to 3.3.X.

From there follow the directions for upgrading to 3.3.X.

seanlancaster

Post by seanlancaster »

I last used the forum in 2017 (December). I found out I am teaching the class that I taught back then so I returned to this forum to find the errors that started this topic. I couldn't login. How do I figure out which version I need to be using?

I can restore all of the files that were in the directory yesterday. I think I'll go do that, which should ensure that the "current" version in Dec. 2017 are restored. Then perhaps I can login since I changed the php version. If so, I can find the version and do the correct updates safely . . . If that works. ;-)

Thanks for staying with me.
-sean
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

seanlancaster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 pm How do I figure out which version I need to be using?
Go into hosting contol panel and find phpMyadmin and open it. Find the table phpbb_config. "phpbb_" is prefix and yours could be different but all phpBB tables will have same prefix.

The entry for "version" is the version.
I can restore all of the files that were in the directory yesterday.

That is easier thing to do if you have that ability. Once you do that if you encounter any errors using FTP delete the entire contents of cache folder accept the .htaccess file and index.htm.

seanlancaster

Post by seanlancaster »

thecoalman wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:20 pm
seanlancaster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 pm How do I figure out which version I need to be using?
Go into hosting contol panel and find phpMyadmin and open it. Find the table phpbb_config. "phpbb_" is prefix and yours could be different but all phpBB tables will have same prefix.

The entry for "version" is the version.
I can restore all of the files that were in the directory yesterday.

That is easier thing to do if you have that ability. Once you do that if you encounter any errors using FTP delete the entire contents of cache folder accept the .htaccess file and index.htm.
Okay, boy . . . I have really done a number. I must have upgraded at some point because this is showing my version as 3.0.5.

But I restored and now when I load my site, I just get a blank white screen. If there's a way for me to screw up, I'll find it. Doh.
-sean
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

seanlancaster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 pm Okay, boy . . . I have really done a number. I must have upgraded at some point because this is showing my version as 3.0.5.

Can you confirm 3.0.5 is accurate? Assuming 3.0.5 is accurate that is very old version dating back ohhhhhhh,.... 12 years or so. Just to add there would be no extensions installed and it will not run under php 7 anything.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”