SMTP help please again

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
oakhearted
Name: Cheyne Mayfield

SMTP help please again

Post by oakhearted »

So this is what it says for me:
smtp1.PNG
How do I convert that into the ACP email settings
like is this correct or do I have to change it, if so what do i change it to?
omgss.PNG
Error i get:
okerror.PNG
More images regarding this here:
https://imgur.com/a/lQvSblk
Tried mass emailing and it still doesn't work! same exact error!
Last edited by oakhearted on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
EA117

Re: SMTP help please again

Post by EA117 »

The "ssl://mail.hostedemail.com" port 465 and "mail.hostedemail.com" port 8025 configurations you tried look correctly configured to me, too.

The additional one to go ahead and try is their TLS configuration. You may have already done that, and it's just not one of the errors which happened to be listed. But it would be again with "mail.hostedemail.com" (no prefix needed) and port 587 this time.

If that simply receives the same error as the other attempts, then those errors and the fact that their "Backtrace" only shows the "Connecting..." attempt before a lack of response was determined makes it seem like the mail services' SMTP server truly isn't talking back to your phpBB server. If the issue was "unable to resolve this DNS name" or "unable to make the requested TCP connection", I would have expected to see different errors there.

Like maybe their SMTP services are just broken right now. But you can rule this out by testing with your own mail client (Outlook or any other POP & SMTP client) using the same information, to prove that their SMTP server will actually respond when "it's not coming from your phpBB server." If it doesn't work for you with an SMTP client from your home computer, then you would need to talk to the email service about what's wrong.

It could be that your hosting service (where you're running phpBB) simply doesn't allow outbound SMTP connections. i.e. You're getting "no response" because your hosting provider is blocking these STMP connection attempts to an external mail service. (Though I really would have expected more of a "connection failure" error in this case, rather than "unable to get response codes.") But that's something you would have to confirm and discuss with the hosting provider, to determine whether it's happening and what you could do about it.

The least likely possibility is that for some reason, the email service considers your web hosting service "an IP address we choose not to reply to", and either the inbound or outbound communication is being blocked at the email service's end. Which is something you could really only confirm with the email service, whether they would even do something like that.
oakhearted

Post by oakhearted »

EA117 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:33 pm The "ssl://mail.hostedemail.com" port 465 and "mail.hostedemail.com" port 8025 configurations you tried look correctly configured to me, too.

The additional one to go ahead and try is their TLS configuration. You may have already done that, and it's just not one of the errors which happened to be listed. But it would be again with "mail.hostedemail.com" (no prefix needed) and port 587 this time.

If that simply receives the same error as the other attempts, then those errors and the fact that their "Backtrace" only shows the "Connecting..." attempt before a lack of response was determined makes it seem like the mail services' SMTP server truly isn't talking back to your phpBB server. If the issue was "unable to resolve this DNS name" or "unable to make the requested TCP connection", I would have expected to see different errors there.

Like maybe their SMTP services are just broken right now. But you can rule this out by testing with your own mail client (Outlook or any other POP & SMTP client) using the same information, to prove that their SMTP server will actually respond when "it's not coming from your phpBB server." If it doesn't work for you with an SMTP client from your home computer, then you would need to talk to the email service about what's wrong.

It could be that your hosting service (where you're running phpBB) simply doesn't allow outbound SMTP connections. i.e. You're getting "no response" because your hosting provider is blocking these STMP connection attempts to an external mail service. (Though I really would have expected more of a "connection failure" error in this case, rather than "unable to get response codes.") But that's something you would have to confirm and discuss with the hosting provider, to determine whether it's happening and what you could do about it.

The least likely possibility is that for some reason, the email service considers your web hosting service "an IP address we choose not to reply to", and either the inbound or outbound communication is being blocked at the email service's end. Which is something you could really only confirm with the email service, whether they would even do something like that.
Would it best for me to ask my hosting provider about this or?
But yeah, Gmail/Outlook etc works fine just this doesnt.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

oakhearted wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 am Would it best for me to ask my hosting provider about this or?
If you are saying that configuring Gmail or Outlook with this same SMTP information is able to pick up email for the hewan.org email account successfully, then this rules out that the mail.hostedemail.com SMTP services were just down or "not responding to anyone".

I still think testing with "mail.hostedemail.com" (no prefix needed) and port 587 is still worth while, in case outbound connections for the other ports were being blocked, but maybe the outbound connection on port 587 will be allowed.

If using port 587 fails just like all the other attempts, then yes I agree that talking to your phpBB server hosting provider would be the next logical step.

To determine whether they have any restrictions on PHP applications on your server being able to send email, and whether they have any specific instructions for how you would be able to use the SMTP details you have to send email from a PHP application such as phpBB.
oakhearted

Post by oakhearted »

EA117 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:36 pm
oakhearted wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:58 am Would it best for me to ask my hosting provider about this or?
If you are saying that configuring Gmail or Outlook with this same SMTP information is able to pick up email for the hewan.org email account successfully, then this rules out that the mail.hostedemail.com SMTP services were just down or "not responding to anyone".

I still think testing with "mail.hostedemail.com" (no prefix needed) and port 587 is still worth while, in case outbound connections for the other ports were being blocked, but maybe the outbound connection on port 587 will be allowed.

If using port 587 fails just like all the other attempts, then yes I agree that talking to your phpBB server hosting provider would be the next logical step.

To determine whether they have any restrictions on PHP applications on your server being able to send email, and whether they have any specific instructions for how you would be able to use the SMTP details you have to send email from a PHP application such as phpBB.
I am trying Zoho mail this time, hoping it will work.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Please use the quote function only when it is needed to make your reply clear and only quote the parts necessary not the whole post every time. Excessive quoting (especially of long messages and/or multiple images) makes reading the post extremely difficult.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”