Upgrade 3.2.2 to 3.3.4 PHP question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
lavalamp213

Upgrade 3.2.2 to 3.3.4 PHP question

Post by lavalamp213 »

Hello-
I have set up a test forum with XAMPP of my live board and would like to test out my upgrade there before I do it on my live board.

I am currently running v. 3.2.2 and want to upgrade to the current v. 3.3.4

I am currently running php v. 5.6.3

My host server needs me to get to php 7.4 (they don't want to keep supporting the older versions)
When I do the real board upgrade operation I will have my host server do the upgrade of php.

3 questions:

1. Can I upgrade directly from v. 3.2.2 to 3.3.4 or do I need to go in steps?
2. For the test, will I need to upgrade my test board php or will v. 3.3.4 work with one I currently have? (FYI- I am using a XAMPP version for php 5.6.36 to accommodate my current live board situation)
3. For the real upgrade, should I have my host server upgrade my php BEFORE I do the upgrade or after?

a little extra info, recently my hosting service upgraded the php on my board to 7.4. My board continued to work but there was a big block of strange text at the top of the homepage. I'm sorry I don't recall what it was exactly, (I will try to dig that up) but restoring the old version of php made it go away.

Thanks so much for your help.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Re: Upgrade 3.2.2 to 3.3.4 PHP question

Post by ssl »

Hi
For a 3.2.x version the maximum version of php is 7.1, so yes it is certain that your forum will encounter problems.
In this case, migrate from 3.2.x to 3.3.x, having made a backup of your database and the files and folders of your current forum.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

lavalamp213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am Hello-
I have set up a test forum with XAMPP of my live board and would like to test out my upgrade there before I do it on my live board.

I am currently running v. 3.2.2 and want to upgrade to the current v. 3.3.4

I am currently running php v. 5.6.3

My host server needs me to get to php 7.4 (they don't want to keep supporting the older versions)
When I do the real board upgrade operation I will have my host server do the upgrade of php.

3 questions:

1. Can I upgrade directly from v. 3.2.2 to 3.3.4 or do I need to go in steps?
2. For the test, will I need to upgrade my test board php or will v. 3.3.4 work with one I currently have? (FYI- I am using a XAMPP version for php 5.6.36 to accommodate my current live board situation)
3. For the real upgrade, should I have my host server upgrade my php BEFORE I do the upgrade or after?

a little extra info, recently my hosting service upgraded the php on my board to 7.4. My board continued to work but there was a big block of strange text at the top of the homepage. I'm sorry I don't recall what it was exactly, (I will try to dig that up) but restoring the old version of php made it go away.

Thanks so much for your help.
For upgrading from 3.2.x to 3.3.x follow the instructions from https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade32/ but use only the FullPackage or the Changed files Package.
1. It can be done directly to 3.3.4
2. upgrading your testboard will ... upgrade your testboard and only that. You need to upgrade your live board. Having said this, it's never a bad idea to do a testrun on your testboard first
3.the php version has to be upgraded before starting the board upgrade

extra info: make sure that the language packs, styles and extensions are compatible with the phpBB version you are upgrading to before starting the upgrade.
Specifically for extensions, disable all of them (that is disable, NOT delete data) before starting the upgrade (and using tyour current php version) and only re-enable after a succesfull upgrade AND having uploaded the extension version compatible with the phpBB version you're upgrading to (and the new php version). Extensions which have no version compatible with 3.3 or are not going to be used anymore should be disabled and delete data + files removed (in that order, using your current php version) before upgrading.

And the most important part is having a functional backup (files and database) before initialising the upgrade of your live board
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
ssl

Post by ssl »

warmweer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:18 am 3.the php version has to be upgraded before starting the board upgrade
The version is already in 7.4

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

ssl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:22 am
warmweer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:18 am 3.the php version has to be upgraded before starting the board upgrade
From what I read it's back to 5.6 (on the live board)
lavalamp213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am I am currently running php v. 5.6.3
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Okay. Thank you.

Yes, I am using the test board I just created so I can practice and make sure things are compatible and that I am not a complete idiot before I have a go at upgrading my live board.

Sounds like I will have to ask my host server to only upgrade my php to 7.1, and that they should do that before I upgrade the live board.
EDIT: duh, with the new v3.3.4 php 7.4 should be okay.

Thank you for all the detailed instructions.

last question:

For the testrun, is the php version something I have to worry about or will v.3.3.4 run okay on the XAMPP version I am running, php 5.6.3, at least well enough to tell if I did things right?

OR would it be advisable for me to move my test board to a newer XAMPP version (7.1) before the upgrade?

Hoping for a "No" on that. 🙃

EDIT: My host had upgraded me to 7.4 but had to downgrade me back to 5.6.3 which is what I'm running now.
Last edited by lavalamp213 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssl

Post by ssl »

warmweer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:25 am
ssl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:22 am
From what I read it's back to 5.6 (on the live board)
lavalamp213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am I am currently running php v. 5.6.3
So what's the meaning of this?
lavalamp213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am a little extra info, recently my hosting service upgraded the php on my board to 7.4. My board continued to work but there was a big block of strange text at the top of the homepage. I'm sorry I don't recall what it was exactly, (I will try to dig that up) but restoring the old version of php made it go away.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

ssl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:37 am
So what's the meaning of this?
lavalamp213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 am a little extra info, recently my hosting service upgraded the php on my board to 7.4. My board continued to work but there was a big block of strange text at the top of the homepage. I'm sorry I don't recall what it was exactly, (I will try to dig that up) but restoring the old version of php made it go away.
Sorry, that wasn't totally clear.

I kept the downgraded version because of the problem 7.4 created. So I am currently running 5.6.3
ssl

Post by ssl »

OK
To switch to 3.3.x you need a version of php at least 7.1 (phpBB 3.2.x is compatible with php 7.1)
After the migration to 3.3.x you will be able to switch to version 7.4 of php

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

phpBB 3.2.2 and php 5.6 are compatible so all actions needed on 3.2.2 can be done without risk.

There's no need to switch to php 7.1 as a go between in order to upgrade to phpBB 3.3.4.
Put the 3.2.2 board on php 5.6 offline, switch to php 7.4, upgrade the board to 3.3.4, and then switch php version to 7.4.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

warmweer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 pm Put the 3.2.2 board on php 5.6 offline, switch to php 7.4, upgrade the board to 3.3.4, and then switch php version to 7.4.
Sorry, I don't quite follow this sequence. Are talking about the test run or the real upgrade (you have "switch to php 7.4 " in here twice.)

My test board is currently v3.2.2, php 5.6. -

So, are you saying when I do the real upgrade on my live board I can make the php switch to 7.4 after I do the upgrade to 3.3.4?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

warmweer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 pm phpBB 3.2.2 and php 5.6 are compatible so all actions needed on 3.2.2 can be done without risk.

There's no need to switch to php 7.1 as a go between in order to upgrade to phpBB 3.3.4.
Put the 3.2.2 board on php 5.6 offline, switch to php 7.4, upgrade the board to 3.3.4.
edited: to remove something I forgot to remove earlier

2nd edit: aaargh damn it, apparently didn't edit but made a new post :(
Last edited by warmweer on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

lavalamp213 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:37 pm
warmweer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 pm Put the 3.2.2 board on php 5.6 offline, switch to php 7.4, upgrade the board to 3.3.4, and then switch php version to 7.4.
Sorry, I don't quite follow this sequence. Are talking about the test run or the real upgrade (you have "switch to php 7.4 " in here twice.)

My test board is currently v3.2.2, php 5.6. -

So, are you saying when I do the real upgrade on my live board I can make the php switch to 7.4 after I do the upgrade to 3.3.4?
Sorry, my mistake: forgot to edit the double switching to php7.4
The point is that in order to upgrade to and use phpBB 3.3.4 you'll need a php version compatible for 3.3.4 (before starting the upgrade), and that there's no need to switch php step by step: just go from 5.6 to 7.4

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

warmweer wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:20 pm
The point is that in order to upgrade to and use phpBB 3.3.4 you'll need a php version compatible for 3.3.4 (before starting the upgrade), and that there's no need to switch php step by step: just go from 5.6 to 7.4
Got it! Thank you.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

ssl wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:53 am OK
To switch to 3.3.x you need a version of php at least 7.1 (phpBB 3.2.x is compatible with php 7.1)
After the migration to 3.3.x you will be able to switch to version 7.4 of php
Thank you for this- This helped me a lot with the test I just did.
In order to do the test upgrade to 3.3.4 I had to use the 7.1.3 version of XAMPP.

That version worked on both my old board version, 3.2.2 and the new one I upgraded to 3.3.4. So I was able to successfully test the upgrade.

It was really helpful to know because I did not realise my old board would function all the way to that php version.

And thank you again to everyone. I finally was able to complete this task. It was so worthwhile for so many reasons to set up this test board before doing the real upgrade.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”