Errors When Updating from 3.2.5 to 3.2.11

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ourkid

Errors When Updating from 3.2.5 to 3.2.11

Post by Ourkid »

Hello. I am a relative tech novice that attempted a board update from 3.2.5 to 3.2.11 yesterday to resolve an issue that sprung up with message text boxes being reduced to zero characters. (Have a non-3.3 extension active, and thus wanted to stay in the 3.2 family.) Original issue may have sprung from a PHP version update from my site host, but I am now trying to manage errors present after I have moved all 3.2.11 files via FTP and am attempting to load the page at http://unrulies.net/forum/update to complete install.

Any guidance on what the issue may be and/or how to address are much appreciated!

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.11
What is your board's URL? http://www.unrulies.net/forum
Who do you host your board with? SiteGround
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.5
What extensions do you have installed? Dice Roller 3.2.x
What styles do you currently have installed? No answer given
What language(s) is your board currently using? No answer given
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Attempting an update from 3.2.5 to 3.2.11.
Please describe your problem. Attempting to correct an issue affecting my message text boxes by upgrading to the latest version of phpbb supporting a 3.2 extension. After transferring 3.2.11 package files via FTP, receiving the errors below at http://www.unrulies.net/forum/update:

Warning: include(/home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/vendor/composer/../patchwork/utf8/src/Patchwork/Utf8/Bootup.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php on line 444

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/vendor/composer/../patchwork/utf8/src/Patchwork/Utf8/Bootup.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php72/pear') in /home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php on line 444

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Patchwork\Utf8\Bootup' not found in /home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:27 Stack trace: #0 /home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/common.php(97): require() #1 /home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/app.php(23): include('/home/customer/...') #2 {main} thrown in /home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 27
Generated by SRT Generator
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Errors When Updating from 3.2.5 to 3.2.11

Post by Mick »

Did you check that the file(s) reported as missing are actually there or not?

Code: Select all

Warning: include(/home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/vendor/composer/../patchwork/utf8/src/Patchwork/Utf8/Bootup.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/customer/www/unrulies.net/public_html/forum/vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php on line 444
Ourkid wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:23 pmHow did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
You should be performing updates and upgrades yourself using the files from here, host provided updates are known to have issues.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Ourkid

Post by Ourkid »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have verified that each file is in the directory as listed in the error messages.

Also, to clarify, I am performing the upgrade myself. Originally deployed the board using the SiteGround auto-installer, but am carrying this out now using the steps defined on this sites upgrade instructions.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

First remark: a 3.2 extension could perhaps (not always) be made to function properly with phpBB3.3 david63 wrote a yml checker (extension) which could identify the problem and perhaps provide a solution.
Second remark: the errors you posted make me suspect you used the autoupdate package or didn't upload all the files necessary for the update.
One of the possible problems is that you tried to overwrite the /vendor and that can cause problems. The safest way is to delete the /vendor and then upload the new /vendor. (the same should also be considered for other directories.)

The correct update instructions can be found at Minor Updates Within 3.2.x
>>> use the full package only in this case (which means that if you have file-edits you will need to reapply then)
If you did use the autoupdate package then
Important

If you have previously abandoned an update attempt to try a different method, you will need to remove the following files from the server:
store/install_config.php
store/io_lock.lock
And for good measure, also delete /installer and /production from /cache before starting the update.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Ourkid

Post by Ourkid »

Fantastic feedback, and much appreciated.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Oops: forgot to mention:

You used a tool provided by the host to install your board.
Since you have problems with the update: the full package is absolutely the only package you should use to ensure that the files you will be using are unaltered phpBB files. This means that the only files should keep are the config.php and any images or attachements belonging to your board.
Just is case take a backup of all your files (to your PC) , and when FTP-ing use binary mode for everything (set that as default)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”