Convert from Phorum 5.2 to phpBB 3.2

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Mike40

Convert from Phorum 5.2 to phpBB 3.2

Post by Mike40 »

How can I convert my information from Phorum 5.2 to phpBB 3.2?
Last edited by Mike40 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike40

Re: Convert from Phorum 5.2 to phpBB 3.2

Post by Mike40 »

I saw this post on the forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1690005

but the instructions are vague and I could not get it to come up or work at all. It says that I should see a convert tab at the phpBB install and I don't see that or anything. All it says to do is this:
Usage

- download this code as ZIP (link is the right)
- extract it in the phpbb root directory before you install phpbb
- during installation of phpbb, there will be available conversion from Phorum
By extracting it in the phpBB root I don't know if they mean in my forum folder or my forum\phpbb folder or maybe the forum\install\convert folder. Also, the zip file has a folder so I don't know if I should just extract the 2 php files or the entire folder in one of those folders. I've tried many options and none work to show me a convert tab in the installation. How do I see this and where is the convert tab? Also, perhaps there is something more recent than this as this goes back to 2009 but anything is better than nothing.

Thank you for any assistance.
Last edited by Mike40 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike40

Post by Mike40 »

Okay - so I finally got everything figured out after HOURS of testing and frustration.

First, I thought I would try the conversion on 3.0.5. A little progress finally. I actually saw the Convert tab. But, tons of errors and I wasted time googling trying to resolve it. Then, I saw something and I tried version 3.0.14. That actually worked - the conversion completed.

There was still a strange issue where as the Admin my Poster_ID was wrong in the Posts table and was not matching in the Users table. I tried manually changing the ID in the users table to match the poster_Id number. Bad idea. That caused a No Boards error. So, I then decided to do an SQL change in phpMyAdmin and change the Poster_ID in the posts table to match the Admin ID in the users table. That worked. I then upgraded to 3.1 and subsequently to the latest version. I think everything is now working.

Hopefully this helps someone else.
theonlymac

Post by theonlymac »

Hi Mike

Where exactly did you place the converter files? I do not see the tab. Much appreciated if you can assist.

Thanks
Mike40

Post by Mike40 »

You will not see a convert tab unless you use an older version of phpBB version 3.0.14. Don't use any version newer than that or it's not going to work. The files go into the install\convertors folder.

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”