SMF 2.0.15 to phpbb 3.2.2 conversion

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
jmex

SMF 2.0.15 to phpbb 3.2.2 conversion

Post by jmex »

Can someone help me with step by step conversion of smf to phpbb. I am not a coder but know little basics. Managed to convert smf to elkarte. But i would like to convert it to phpbb from smf.
Thanks in advance! :)
jmex

Re: SMF 2.0.15 to phpbb 3.2.2 conversion

Post by jmex »

i have installed phpbb with same database now how do i convert it to smf?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

• "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 am i have installed phpbb with same database now how do i convert it to smf?
I take it that you actually want to convert from SMF to phpBB (as you stated in the opening post).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
jmex

Post by jmex »

warmweer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 am
jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:21 am i have installed phpbb with same database now how do i convert it to smf?
I take it that you actually want to convert from SMF to phpBB (as you stated in the opening post).
yes i want to convert to phpbb from smf. i have used viewtopic.php?f=561&t=2441356 tool but i am facing errors while converting.

Code: Select all

The convertor was not able to find tables with the specified prefix. Please make sure you have entered the correct details for the board you are converting from. The default table prefix for Simple Machines Forum 2.0.x is smf_.PREFIX_FOUND
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:41 am ...

The convertor was not able to find tables with the specified prefix. Please make sure you have entered the correct details for the board you are converting from. The default table prefix for Simple Machines Forum 2.0.x is smf_.PREFIX_FOUND
What's the prefix for the smf tables in your SMF database?
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

jmex

Post by jmex »

warmweer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:05 am
jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:41 am ...

What's the prefix for the smf tables in your SMF database?
thanks managed to convert using smf prefix that i found from phpmyadmin.

but now facing below error:

Okay faithful users...we're attempting to restore an older backup of the database...news will be posted once we're back!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I assume that's a message you entered once when you disabled your board.

It could well be in
general > board settings
Disable board/disabled board message
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

That seems like a message from the SMF forum stating that the board is offline while the admin is doing somethng with the board.

Just a note. There is a subforum specifically for conversions from other forumsoftware.: viewforum.php?f=561
edit: ow, I see you've posted there also.

jmex

Post by jmex »

KevC wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:20 am I assume that's a message you entered once when you disabled your board.

It could well be in
general > board settings
Disable board/disabled board message
unable to go inside board to change board settings. there were error messages while converting from smf. I believe no members is imported. what should i do?
jmex

Post by jmex »

when trying to login to my forum below error occurs:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Unknown column 'user_pass_convert' in 'field list' [1054]
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 am unable to go inside board to change board settings. there were error messages while converting from smf. I believe no members is imported. what should i do?
Ow, I only noticed now that you are converting SMF 2.0.15 directly to phpBB 3.2.2.
As far as I know there is no convertor which can do this directly.
You would have to look for a convertor which can convert to phpBB 3.0.x (perhaps 3.1.x) !! (read note) !! and then upgrade from phpBB 3.x.x to 3.2.1
Note that I wrote 3.2.1 (on purpose) because there are a few problems with 3.2.2 and a conversion probably won't be perfect and may cause extra conflicts in 3.2.2 (which may not be easy to solve at this time).

!! (note) !!: immediately after the conversion; before any further update/upgrade - be sure to check the functioning of the board and solve any errors (which will propagate and will make probably make it worse in later versions).

jmex

Post by jmex »

warmweer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:41 am
jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 am unable to go inside board to change board settings. there were error messages while converting from smf. I believe no members is imported. what should i do?
Ow, I only noticed now that you are converting SMF 2.0.15 directly to phpBB 3.2.2.
As far as I know there is no convertor which can do this directly.
You would have to look for a convertor which can convert to phpBB 3.0.x (perhaps 3.1.x) !! (read note) !! and then upgrade from phpBB 3.x.x to 3.2.1
Note that I wrote 3.2.1 (on purpose) because there are a few problems with 3.2.2 and a conversion probably won't be perfect and may cause extra conflicts in 3.2.2 (which may not be easy to solve at this time).

!! (note) !!: immediately after the conversion; before any further update/upgrade - be sure to check the functioning of the board and solve any errors (which will propagate and will make probably make it worse in later versions).
Can you provide me link of working converter?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:27 pm ...
nope, I've never converted.
Just read through the topics here to find a working converter to any version of phpBB (try Google search also). If you can convert to 3.0 or 3.1, accept that with a smile, upgrading to 3.2.x is fairly straightforward then.

jmex

Post by jmex »

warmweer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm
jmex wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:27 pm ...
nope, I've never converted.
Just read through the topics here to find a working converter to any version of phpBB (try Google search also). If you can convert to 3.0 or 3.1, accept that with a smile, upgrading to 3.2.x is fairly straightforward then.
atleast you can tell me where i can download 3.0 file so that i can install it first.

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”