vBulletin to Latest PHPBB Conversion - Clarification Request

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
ScottSNE

vBulletin to Latest PHPBB Conversion - Clarification Request

Post by ScottSNE »

Hello,

First post, and I have looked through the forums before making it.

It appears to me that the only current valid way to convert my existing vBulletin 4.2.2 forums to the latest PHPBB is to install a 3.0 version, use the available converter, and then update to the latest version. Is this correct? If so where can I find the correct version to get this process started. It appeared to me that at the website 3.1 was the oldest available version for download. I'm likely missing something obvious.

My webhost offers an automated installation of the latest version of PHPBB, but if vB 4.2.2 doesn't convert directly to PHPBB 3.2.X I guess I'll have to try it the "hard" way. I've had quite a bit of experience with forums and CMS software installs but I still like to keep it simple. ;)

Just making sure before I pull the trigger. I do read that it will not have any negative effect on the existing forum, but I'd rather be sure. Sorry to re-dredge this up if I'm missing something obvious, and thanks in advance.

Scott
Scan New England
http://www.scan-ne.net
janus_zonstraal

Re: vBulletin to Latest PHPBB Conversion - Clarification Request

Post by janus_zonstraal »

For older version see https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/3.0/
My webhost offers an automated installation of the latest version of PHPBB,
Never use them, we don't know what files the are using, and we don't support them.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
ScottSNE

Post by ScottSNE »

Thanks Janus,

I actually never have used an auto install. Funny I had a feeling that it "may or may not" be supported.

Thanks for the link to version 3. I'll give this a whirl. Seems relatively straightforward with the correct pieces of the puzzle.

Scott
ScottSNE

Post by ScottSNE »

1. Installed 3.0.14 without a problem, and during the process created a new administrator account as is normal.
2. Uploaded all of the conversion files as per instructions.
3. Conversion took about 20 minutes and appeared to go perfectly.
4. After the conversion however, it appears that it blew up the administrator account I created during the phpbb install. I was unable to log in with it. I was able to log in with my vBulletin admin credentials but it shows me in a "special" group called Administrators. Maybe that's correct, but...
5. It also appears to have rendered the admin control panel unreachable, showing a message in my browser that says "This page isn’t working
If the problem continues, contact the site owner. HTTP ERROR 401". When I look at the folder structure in Filezilla it appears normal.

This is fine as this was a trial run. Just curious if anyone can comment as to where I went wrong? :D The process is easy enough and I'll repeat it as necessary, but the result with admin access came up just a little short!

Again, thanks.
Scott
ScottSNE

Post by ScottSNE »

Uh, never mind. Damned newbies. I still lost the original admin account, but I'm in under the account converted from vBulletin.

Move along folks, nothing to see here.... :lol:

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”