IP.Board 2.3.6 to phpBB 3.2.2

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
SigmaTel71
Name: Vitaliy Orekhov

IP.Board 2.3.6 to phpBB 3.2.2

Post by SigmaTel71 »

Greetings! A couple of my friends is going to merge two forums into one. Since I can't find a solution, I came here to ask you the following question: how to convert IP.Board 2.1.6 database directly to the phpBB 3.2.2? I already have a full SQL copy of the IP.B forum.
Database properties:
  • Old forum: MySQL
  • New forum: MySQL with MySQLi extension
When I was trying to find a converter for a specified version of IP.B, I have found one, but it was designed for phpBB2 with MySQL, so I can't convert it.
What do I have to do? :?

P. S. If it's possible, can you tell me how to merge databases? I'm new to all this stuff... :roll:
Last edited by Kailey on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
Hello, Moto! :D
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: IP.Board 2.1.6 to phpBB 3.2.2

Post by thecoalman »

One possible solution is to download an older version of XAMPP which will have older versions of MySQL/PHP.
P. S. If it's possible, can you tell me how to merge databases? I'm new to all this stuff...
While not impossible this is not an easy task. You may want to search for options of merging IPB or see if you can find something for merging phpBB2. In other words see if anything is available that can be used along the conversion process.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Is the new 3.2.2 forum running on PHP >= 7?

The original MySQL extension is being deprecated and will be removed from the core starting from PHP 7, so you can try to use a lesser version of PHP to install the 3.2.2 (i.e. 5.6.xx) and after the conversion raise again to 7. Is the convertor using specific MySQL code? In this case you can try to "convert the convertor" (lol) to MySQLi. Which is possible as well.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
SigmaTel71

Re: IP.Board 2.3.6 to phpBB 3.2.2

Post by SigmaTel71 »

3Di wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 am Is the new 3.2.2 forum running on PHP >= 7?
No, it's running on PHP 5.6.30 (and couldn't be upgraded due to hosting provider settings).
Is the convertor using specific MySQL code? In this case you can try to "convert the convertor" (lol) to MySQLi. Which is possible as well.
Looks like it does, I have tried to test locally ib2phpbb convertor made in 2005. And it failed due to usage of MySQL.
Last edited by SigmaTel71 on Tue May 22, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

SigmaTel71 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm I have tried to test locally ib2phpbb convertor made in 2005. And it failed due to usage of MySQL.
To reiterate you can download an older version of XAMPP, one from around 2005 should probably be where to start. ;) The only trouble you might have is getting it to run under a newer OS.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/

If you are already using XAMPP you can run different versions of it. If I recall correctly you only need to install in different folder, create shortcuts to the .exe for each version and you can't run them both at once.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

SigmaTel71

Post by SigmaTel71 »

thecoalman wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:51 pmTo reiterate you can download an older version of XAMPP, one from around 2005 should probably be where to start. ;) The only trouble you might have is getting it to run under a newer OS.
Thanks. I'll try the 1.5.0 version under Windows Server 2012 R2.
If you are already using XAMPP you can run different versions of it.
I didn't use it earlier, because I set up all things (MySQLi, Apache, etc.) manually. But thanks again for a tip!
Last edited by SigmaTel71 on Tue May 22, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

SigmaTel71 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm Looks like it does, I have tried to test locally ib2phpbb convertor made in 2005. And it failed due to usage of MySQL.
Are you confident with PHP?
https://www.phpclasses.org/package/9199 ... nsion.html
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
SigmaTel71

Post by SigmaTel71 »

XAMPP went garbage on my system (404 errors), so I have installed another software package bundled with PHP 5.6, MySQL 5.6 and Apache 2.4 (everything is x64).
Now I don't really understand what to do with these errors...
Last edited by SigmaTel71 on Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I have no idea how this would work with Windows Server because I'm not familiar with it but on regular Windows machine you are going to install XAMPP in the root of the drive, e.g. C:\xampp Inside the XAMPP folder is htdocs folder which is the root of the domain.

Open the XAMPP control panel to start Apache and MySQL. Visit http://localhost/ in your browser and It should serve up the default index page in htodcs.

For phpMyadmin visit http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ , if you want to run shell commands for MySQL there is link to open the console on the XAMPP control panel labeled "Shell".

One last tip here, if you want to use the domain name instead of localhost open the hosts file in windows. On regular windows machine it is C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts add this line and save. Of course replace example with the domain.

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1 example.com

SigmaTel71

Post by SigmaTel71 »

thecoalman wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 pm I have no idea how this would work with Windows Server because I'm not familiar with it but on regular Windows machine you are going to install XAMPP in the root of the drive, e.g. C:\xampp Inside the XAMPP folder is htdocs folder which is the root of the domain.
You will laugh at me, but i forgot to modify the converter's configuration file! It had prefix that differs from ibf_ :lol: So, it's my fault.
Last edited by SigmaTel71 on Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SigmaTel71

Post by SigmaTel71 »

Woah! I made a serious mistake in a subject! It's not IP.Board 2.1.6, it's 2.3.6! So, are there any solutions for this version of IPB?
*fixes the most of posts' subject*

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”