SMF to phpBB?

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
brynn

SMF to phpBB?

Post by brynn » Tue May 29, 2018 1:41 am

Hi Friends,
I've spent 30 to 40 minutes searching around this board and the rest of the forum, for a converter for SMF 2.0.15 to phpBB either 3.1 or 3.2. So far, what I've found indicates that no converter exists for this.

I just want to confirm that, before I move along. Is there any SMF converter?

(I read one comment about converting to a different type of forum...might have been myBB....and then to phpBB. But that probably involves more technical knowledge than I have (and probably more time too.)

Also, I have a more specific question. Is it possible to merge or convert just certain boards from an SMF forum, to phpBB? Or is it an all or nothing venture?

Thank you very much :D

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: SMF to phpBB?

Post by Mick » Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 am

There’s a list of available converters here viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1641375

Assuming you meant forums from a board? As far as I’m aware it’s all or nothing (I’m no expert btw) but you can do the conversion then remove what you don’t need afterwards.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

brynn

Post by brynn » Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 am

Oh, it didn't occur to me to look into a board titled "archives". Wouldn't that indicate the contents are not current? I was only looking in the 3.1 and 3.2 boards.

(I think we might be calling "boards" and "forums" oppositely. I think of a forum as being made up of several boards.)

Following your link, and finding an SMF converter, I find the last message in that thread was Dec 2016, and the last successful conversion reported there was for SMF 2.0.11. But the current version of SMF is 2.0.15. And I did find messages in the 3.1 and 3.2 boards which indicate someone trying to update the 3.0 converter, with no success (well, it sounded like part success, but not a workable, usable result).

viewtopic.php?f=561&t=2441356
viewtopic.php?f=561&t=2457516

The latter indicates:
A convertor to phpBB 3.2.2 doesn't exist yet. You have to convert to a lower version and then upgrade phpBB.
The problem I will have is that I won't have a choice to install 3.0. I'm investigating adding contents of my SMF forum, to an existing phpBB 3.2 installation. I think we'd have to install 3.0 on the server, beside the existing 3.2 forum. Then upgrade the 3.0 to 3.2. And then merge from the new 3.2 forum to the pre-existing 3.2 forum.

Generally speaking, does that seem like the best and most workable solution? (I don't think we will have time and/or the person-power to do that, but just in case, I want to make sure that would be a workable plan.)

Thanks again :D

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue May 29, 2018 9:24 am

I would assume the best thing is to convert to phpBB 3.0 then upgrade once you know it’s all good. You can convert it on your local machine by setting up a local web server following to this article: Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server. That should give you hassle free converting and you will be able to manipulate PHP and SQL versions as required. On upgrading, you should have a read of the 3.2 Upgrade Guide to see how that’s done properly.

brynn

Post by brynn » Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 am

Ok, thank you very much!

One last question. Does it matter which version of SMF I start with? Should I downgrade to a version (of SMF) which would be closer to that which was being used when the converter software was being written?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 am

If you can downgrade SMF to something closer to the OP version then I suppose the answer would be yes but, if you try with what you have now on a local test server and it works you’ve saved yourself some time. If it doesn’t work you can start again with a lower version number and lost nothing apart from some time and possibly hair :D

brynn

Post by brynn » Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Ok, good deal.

Thank you so much for the info. I may have questions when I dive into the Guide and the KB article which you referenced. But I'll post those whenever I run into them.

Thanks again!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue May 29, 2018 2:34 pm

just as an aside;
if you are going to convert to phpbb it will help you to get the terminology correct.

a "board" is the whole thing. "board" is short for bulletin board which is what all of these different softwares are.

smf, phpbb, etc. are all bulletin board softwares.

now, different softwares may call the whole thing a board or a forum but none of them call the different forums boards.

so, phpbb.com/community is a board,

[3.2.x] Support Forum
[3.1.x] Support Forum
Custom BBCode Development and Requests
etc.
are all forums on that board.

hope this helps clear it up a bit.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

brynn

Post by brynn » Thu May 31, 2018 3:32 am

Well, I've heard them called boards quite often. How else would I have picked it up?

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”