[split] Import posts from a own-made forum

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Jagoda

[split] Import posts from a own-made forum

Post by Jagoda »

Hi,
I need to import users and posts from a forum created many years ago (written by someone else) to a clean phpBB 3.2 install. On the old forum there is a db with users (so I can export an sql file) and txt files with posts. Is it possible to import them somehow to phpBB 3.2?

I did some research but the only useful information I found applies to phpBB 3.0:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2115251#p12923598
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1494875
Will these tools still work with pphpBB 3.2? I suppose not... Maybe there are such tools for 3.2 (I didn't find any)?

Could somebody help me, please? I have no experience with phpBB and I don't know where to start.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Import posts from a own-made forum

Post by warmweer »

Jagoda wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 pm Hi,
I need to import users and posts from a forum created many years ago (written by someone else) to a clean phpBB 3.2 install. On the old forum there is a db with users (so I can export an sql file) and txt files with posts. Is it possible to import them somehow to phpBB 3.2?

I did some research but the only useful information I found applies to phpBB 3.0:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2115251#p12923598
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1494875
Will these tools still work with pphpBB 3.2? I suppose not... Maybe there are such tools for 3.2 (I didn't find any)?

Could somebody help me, please? I have no experience with phpBB and I don't know where to start.
*personal opinion*
For clarity's sake and in order to avoid conflicting advice you should open a new topic (and not hijack an existing topic).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Jagoda

Re: Import posts from a own-made forum

Post by Jagoda »

Sorry if I did it in a wrong way, but I am moderator on another forum and we rather try to merge similar questions into one topic so basis on my experience I asked here :)
Should I just open a new topic or Admin can move my post?
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: [split] Import posts from a own-made forum

Post by Kailey »

Split off.
Jagoda wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 pm On the old forum there is a db with users (so I can export an sql file) and txt files with posts. Is it possible to import them somehow to phpBB 3.2?
You might be able to. I would test this locally first though. See Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

kinerity wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:37 pm You might be able to. I would test this locally first though. See Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
Do you mean that tools I mentioned should work with phpBB 3.2 or I should do this in another way?
The other idea is to export users db from the old forum, reorganize it and import to a clean pphpBB 3.2 install. I could do the same with posts (I would need to convert posts from txt to sql first) but I don't think it's a good idea because I don't know relations between tables in phpBB.
Any other ideas? If yes, please describe it clearly, phpBB is new for me :)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Not impossible, but EXTREMELY difficult. And really outside the scope of this forum. Moving to Convertors.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
boogi

Post by boogi »

If you know php or will find someone who knows, you may try help from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=2125111
But this is the hard way, you may destroy your forum this way, so test this thoroughly on local copy of your database and do have backup.
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

I set up a new phpBB forum and tried to upload some test users directly to a data base, to users table (first I downloaded users from the old forum, also downloaded table structure from the new forum and adjusted the table structure to be able to upload it without any issues). As I supposed the forum died after that so I still need your help :)

Is it possible to use these functions:
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Function.user_add
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Function.submit_post
to bulk upload users and then posts? If yes, could someone give me a hint how to do that? I'm not a professional, so please try to explain it as clear as it's possible :) I will be grateful for all hints and ideas how to migrate all data.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

How many users and posts are we talking about? Is the board very active?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Jagoda

Post by Jagoda »

It has about 18000 registered users, but "only" 3500 active during last 5 years. I can't tell how many posts because they are all in text files, but definitely a huge amount. Now it's about 5-20 posts a day (it depends on a day) and the forum exists since 2004.

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”