Thinking/start convert vbulletin 4.2.5 to phpbb (3.2.x)

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
wonder_wonder

Thinking/start convert vbulletin 4.2.5 to phpbb (3.2.x)

Post by wonder_wonder »

Hi.
First, if this topic is better located in another section of the forum, I ask the moderators to move it where they see fit.
There are several topics in this post / question so I have thought better to divide them into 2 post, one in section converters and another in general support: viewtopic.php?f=561&t=2494616

Currently, I recently started a forum about phpbb3 and in the past it was another (it no longer exists for several reasons that have nothing to do with phpbb3).
I am delighted with phpb3, its possibilities (with its extensions) and that is why I am considering converting my forum that I have in vbulletin 4.2.5 to phpbb3.
I have seen in the forum the possibility of migrating vbuletin 4.2 to phpbb 3.11 (I do not know if I could do it from vbulletin 4.2.5 because the converter that I have seen only speaks of vb 4.2 but I want to believe that if) then I have seen that I need to update from 3.11 to 3.2.x
I have not found any vbulletin 4.2.x to php 3.2.x converter
Do you know if there is another possibility of conversion from vbulletin 4.2.5?

What makes me think of a migration to phpbb3?
It has an excellent support, both here and in its forum in my country.
Regular updates and updates, both for functions and for security.
Possibility that in future, future versions of php can be used with the advantages you may have.
There are extensions for everything or almost everything, which makes the forum a great tool.

Apart from the converter, I still do not know how I'm going to do it and if I can do it, VB incorporates by default a friendly URL system, I know that phpb3 does not have it, for me, it's not important and neither for search engines, but the problem is that I have many internal links that call other parts of the forum with that url format, this I guess I would lose it, if there were 4 publications, I would edit them manually, but there are many, many more ...
The forum is wide, we talk about 128,000 users and approximately 900,000 messages, with an age of approximately 13 years, so there are many internal links that call from one publication to another in the friendly format of the URL.

Any comments, suggestions, opinions or whatever, I thank you in advance.

In the forum I only found the converter from vb 4.2 to php 3.11 and later update to php 3.2.x.

As I comment, any suggestion, comment, help or similar, I thank you in advance.

Thanks and best regards!
Last edited by wonder_wonder on Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
janus_zonstraal

Re: Thinking in convert vbulletin 4.2.5 to phpbb (3.2.x)

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
wonder_wonder

Re: Thinking/start convert vbulletin 4.2.5 to phpbb (3.2.x)

Post by wonder_wonder »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:42 pm A extension for the navbar menu
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ultilinks/
Hello janus,
Thanks for your reply, I view this extension, I view that, only can add 5 links in navbar, and I need more than 5 links in navbar, also, if its possible, I search some extension that add links in navbar like this site, with similar style (not near that Quick links, Faqs...because then, only are links, and search also similar like this site, with the navbar links with like of this site (About, Downloads, Customise...) like this style or similar :)

I edit the first post, I thought it is better to separate the doubts about the conversion on the one hand and doubts about the extensions on the other, like this navbar, and others that I may have, I have created a thread of it in its corresponding area: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2494616

Again, thank you very much!
pikachuturkey
Name: Rıza

Post by pikachuturkey »

You can use "Header Links" extension for this.
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2410101&hilit=Header+links
But the other subjects are complex 🙄
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

pikachuturkey wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:52 pm You can use "Header Links" extension for this.
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2410101&hilit=Header+links
But the other subjects are complex 🙄
Thanks pikachuturkey!
This is the type of navbar that I was looking for I like, I had not found this extension, thanks! Really good or perfect :)
Otherwise, as you say ... the issue of conversion do not think it will be easy, to see if someone who has done (or not) can indicate a little more. By tests, I can do all the tests that are necessary, but ... what is said ... it is not an easy task if I have to do it to 3.11 and then to 3.2 and I do not know if there is any other option.
For the other options / extensions, as I edit the first post and indicated, I opened a new thread in the support area (perhaps I should have opened it in extensions :)) to separate a bit and not all in the same thread.
I said it, thanks again.

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”