CConverting BB2 to BB3 and no errors and no conversion

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
John Robi

Re: CConverting BB2 to BB3 and no errors and no conversion

Post by John Robi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Hello,

It is, PHP version: 5.6.30

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Hello,

I went to the hyperlink (github) you posted. I do not see a download for phpbb 2.0.23, there is 2.0.22. Thoughts?

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Hello,

I downloaded the current .zip file. When saving it the file name is phpBB2Mx-2.0.24-A2. Will this do?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:09 pm

If I remember rightly phpBB2 only works up to php5.3.
Downgrade the version on the server and look at converting to 3.0.x or 3.1.x first.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

orynider
Name: Florin Bodin

Post by orynider » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:11 pm

Yes. Try
phpBB2Mx-2.0.24-A1.zip
or
phpBB2Mx-2.0.24-A2.zip
will work from php 5.4.0 to php 5.6.39 and may work on php 5.3.5, but I'm not 100% sure.

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Hello,

Well, where do I place these folders & files, on the server in the /phpbb2 path? I looked at the red me file and it indicates, cd phpBB php ../composer.phar. So, cd refers to a DOS command to change directories. phpBB refers to a folder in phpBB2Mx-2.0.24-A2. Can't find if this is a localhost or server modification of phpbb2. Any insight?

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Hello,

I'm downloading the .. -a1.zip as well.

Question, once the mod (say it's ... -a2) is done and if it does not work, do I reinstall phpbb2 from scratch and then try .. -a1.zip ?

orynider

Post by orynider » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:11 pm

John Robi wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 pm
Hello,

Well, where do I place these folders & files, on the server in the /phpbb2 path? I looked at the red me file and it indicates, cd phpBB php ../composer.phar. So, cd refers to a DOS command to change directories. phpBB refers to a folder in phpBB2Mx-2.0.24-A2. Can't find if this is a localhost or server modification of phpbb2. Any insight?
i.e.
1. Unzip ..2.0.24-A2.zip on Your Hard Disk Partition then right click on phpBB and copy it to C drive or on C:\users\YourUsername\Desktop by right clicking on Desktop and Paste.
2. Right click on phpBB rename it phpbb2 and delete config.php so that will not overwrite Your installed config.php file via ftp.
3. Overwrite all files using your FTP Client such as WinSCP or Total Commander, from Desktop\phpbb2 to Your installation to upgrade all files.
4. Run phpbb2/install/update_to_latest.php from Your browser.
5. Delete phpbb2/contrib and phpbb2/install folders via FTP.

orynider

Post by orynider » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:42 pm

message_die() was called multiple times. This isn't supposed to happen. Was message_die() used in page_tail.php?
Regarding this error, after You upgrade al files from https://github.com/Mx-Publisher/phpBB2M ... ter/phpBB/ to phpbb2/ should be replaced by an error list.

If there is no config.php file in the zip as I see now on github, You can overwrite all files. :-)

orynider

Post by orynider » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:09 pm

John Robi wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:31 pm
Hello, in phpbb 2.0.23 (BB2), yes phpbb_acl_groups. In phpbb 3.0.5 (BB3), yes again phpbb3_acl_groups.

Thank you for responding.
You can not rename Your old phpBB 3.0.5 phpbb2/ and make a fresh install into phpbb3/ and use the conversion. To upgrade from 3.0.5 to 3.2.5 You need to overwrite all files via FTP and run the installer to upgrade from same directory. If You still have a backup of Your old phpBB 2.0.23 then after uploading the files i.e. from phpBB 2.0.24-dev for php 5.3.0 or phpBB2Mx 2.0.24-Alpha for php 5.4-5.6 and then You need to restore also the old database backup from phpMyAdmin and You can do the vise-versa renaming with search-replace i.e. in Notepad++ Your prefix replacing `phpbb_ with `phpbb2_ in a copy of the .sql backup file.

You can be sure what version You use by looking using i.e. Notepad++ in the .sql backup file or in phpMyAdmin in php_config or phpbb2_config table and select the page were is version. phpBB2 branch only have .0.23 and phpBB3 have 3.0.0-3.3.0 etc.

INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('script_path', '/phpbb2/');
INSERT INTO phpbb_config (config_name, config_value) VALUES ('version', '.0.24-a');

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:55 am

Please post a screenshot off all your tables of your phpBB2, so we can determine if it is actually phpBB 2. Before you do anything you should actually know what to do and currently as we have know idea what you actually have it is hard to know what to do.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 pm

Hello,

Bottom line:
As I look at my challenge, I must get the proper phpBB version running. Import my backup and then upgrade to the current phpBB software.

Background:
I do appreciate your valuable help. Yesterday, when you wrote you did not think phpBB 2.0.23 would have more than 60 tables it got me thinking.

Brief history, when I was asked to administrate the board a couple of years ago the board had been running for years prior. As I took over I asked questions, one of which was the rev level of phpBB. I was informed it was 2.0.23. And, on the host server I observed the path name was /phpBB2/. The board was working fine so I did not question any further.

Late last night, I started pulling in the .php files into Notepad++ to ascertain the actual version. I found in the comments area it is phpBB3, copyright 2005.

Confession, the hosting company where the board resided closed business. The owner wanted to go with HostGator. I had made several backups prior to the closing and thought all I would have to do is install phpBB 2.0.23, import the DB and then convert to phpBB 3.2.5 in order to be on the latest stable phpBB software. I did install phpBB 2.0.23 and imported the DB only the board would not function. So, I tried a local conversion and that failed. This is when I joined the community forum to get advisement on my issue.

All that said, late last night I downloaded phpBB 3.0.8 and 3.0.5 not knowing exactly which I needed. I attempted to install phpBB 3.0.8 on the host server and on the site requirement verification page everything past except the HTTP character conversion, mbstring input and output failed to pass. I pursued mbstring errors and tried recommended solutions all to no avail.

I attempted to install phpBB 3.0.5. I received a number of errors. Here is one of them: Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; bitfield has a deprecated constructor in C:\xampp\htdocs\phpBB305\phpBB3\includes\functions_content.php on line 1256.

After reading all the above and having the full background would you still be willing to help me get the proper phpBB version running?

Thank you so much.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:41 pm

You're doing a heck of a lot of stuff that's wholly unnecessary if you'd just answer specific questions that get put to you and let us go step by step.

If you post a screenshot of your phpmyadmin screen we can tell you what version the board is.

It's also in the config table of the database in the version entry. From the files in the /phpbb2 directory that I can navigate to, it is 2.0.x
John Robi wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 pm
thought all I would have to do is install phpBB 2.0.23, import the DB and then convert to phpBB 3.2.5 in order to be on the latest stable phpBB software.
No you can't do that.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:45 pm

The first thing that anyone will need is the phpBB version of the database that you are working with as the process may vary depending on which version you have.

If you open the database backup in a text editor (may need to unzip it first) and then find the config table one of the entries will be "version" with a number next to it. That is the starting point
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello,

My saga continues...

Prior to the closing of the original hosting company I had made a copy of the phpBB installed files. I have been looking at various .php files to find a version number. As close as can find, the version is phpBB 3.2.x as found in config.php:

<?php
// phpBB 3.2.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!

I did look at both SQL backups I made in Notepad++ though neither reviled information about the phpBB version. To be sure, there was information about the host server. PHP version, MySQL version, server version, etc..

Though, I now suspect this phpBB has been updated several times somewhere in the past. In the file mssql.php I found:

<?php
/**
* @package dbal
* @version $Id: mssql.php 8967 2008-10-02 12:04:12Z acydburn $
* @copyright (c) 2005 phpBB Group

Open question, is there a file in my installed copy that would revel the correct version?

Continued thanks for all the help!

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”