CConverting BB2 to BB3 and no errors and no conversion

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: CConverting BB2 to BB3 and no errors and no conversion

Post by Mick » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 pm

John Robi wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:28 pm
is there a file in my installed copy that would revel the correct version?
Usually the prosilver style.cfg in v3 or, I presume, subsilver in v2 has the correct version.

Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Styles' files list
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Hello,

I was writing my last post prior to reading, David63's post. On submitting my post I then saw David63's post.

Thank you David63, I again opened the backup and searched "version" and found:

('upload_path', 'files', 0),
('version', '3.0.8', 0),
('warnings_expire_days', '90', 0),

There it is, ('version', '3.0.8', 0), Huzzah!

Progress made, small step, but noteworthy.

So, now, onto my current challenge. In anticipation of the version being 3.0.8 (truly a wild guess), I had downloaded it from SourceForge late last night and attempted to install it on the host server. I got as far as the Installation Compatibility page where all requirements passed except:

HTTP input character conversion:
mbstring.http_input must be set to pass. No

HTTP output character conversion:
mbstring.http_output must be set to pass. No

I tried chasing a solution to no avail. I added .htaccess and php.ini with coding to force it to pass. The .htaccss caused phpBB to shut down, that is fail to launch the installation Panel. php.ini had no effect. The coding was various forms of:

mbstring.http_input = pass
mbstring.http_output = pass

OR

ini_set(“mbstring.http_input”, “pass”);
ini_set(“mbstring.http_output”, “pass”);

OR

ini_value (“mbstring.http_input”, “pass”);
ini_value (“mbstring.http_output”, “pass”);

AND, other coding that I found in various forums.

Thoughts anyone?

P.S. I did also download phpBB 3.0.5 after 3.0.8 could not be breached.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:19 pm

As you don't seem to be answering anything you get asked, I'm totally lost as to what you're doing now.

This link contains phpBB2 files.
http://www.transformationsbyrori.com/phpbb2/

I would get that working before doing anything else.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Hello,

KevC, thank you for your input. Much of what I have posted today 2/24 was done last night prior to reading many of the latest post by others yours included, thank you all so very much.

The version is now known phpBB 3.0.8. Clearly, phpBB 2x was updated long before I got involved despite the information I received. And the board had been converted plus updated several times. I had felt comfortable the version was 2.0.23 and proceed to follow a path to convert it ending in my total confusion after error after error was observed.

Thank goodness for this community forum and all the wonderful members so willing to reach out and help.

I'm sorry KevC I caused you to become frustrated. I will do my best to respond to questions asked.

Thanks again to all!

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Hello,

A little further clarification.

Since the original hosting company closed the board has been nonoperational. Thinking the phpBB version was 2.0.23 (please read again my previous posts) I installed phpBB 2.0.23 on HostGator's server. I imported the SQL (now known to be based on phpBB 3.0.8 and not phpBB 2.0.23). So, if you look now you will see phpBB 2.0.23 files on the server.

As I stated in one of my previous post, I am now perusing the installation of phpBB 3.0.8 which I started late last night. I have an issue in that on the Installation Compatibility page there are 2 required compatibility items that failed (please read my second or third to last post).

I do feel with being offered so much assistance by the members out there this board will rise again.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:12 pm

As I stated in one of my previous post, I am now perusing the installation of phpBB 3.0.8 which I started late last night. I have an issue in that on the Installation Compatibility page there are 2 required compatibility items that failed (please read my second or third to last post).
That are normal errors for a 3.0.x board you can just do a upgrade to 3.2.5 or maybe better first to 3.1.0 and the errors will disappear.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello,

Having a little confusion with your suggestion, janus_zonstraal. phpBB 3.0.8 is not installed due to compatibility issues (see my earlier post). Are you suggesting I update an uninstalled phpBB board that has not been configured for its DB? Please confirm this.

I would have thought the phpBB 3.0.8 should be installed first and the DB imported second then, test the board to verify usability. Only then start updating to a newer version.

Thank you.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:09 pm

Sorry I can't follow any longer with all your versions you mention??

Why do you want to install 3.0.8?
Just upload the files and connect the database with editing the config.php

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:11 pm

Hello,

Thank you,janus_zonstraal, for following and helping. You write that you are finding it hard to follow with all the versions mentioned. I understand, I also have been confused with all the complexity while I thought the board was one version only to find out it is actually a different version. I have now verified the installed board was version 3.0.8.

If you read my post above that starts out, A little further clarification, you will read that I'm trying to install phpBB 3.0.8 with little success. There are 2 required compatibility items that failed to pass the Installation Compatibility test.

My thought is that since the DB was backed up from a phpBB 3.0.8 version, I should install a phpBB 3.0.8 version first. Then, import the DB and verify that the board functions and has all of the posts, users, etc. If you are indicating that is not required then, please confirm.

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:57 pm

Hello,

Thank you,janus_zonstraal, for following and helping. You write that you are finding it hard to follow with all the versions mentioned. I understand, I also have been confused with all the complexity while I thought the board was one version only to find out it is actually a different version. I have now verified the installed board was version 3.0.8.

My thought is that since the DB was backed up from a phpBB 3.0.8 version, I should install a phpBB 3.0.8 version first. Then, import the DB and verify that the board functions and has all of the posts, users, etc. Then start updating to the latest version.

Are you indicating that I may just use FTP to upload the files and modify config.php for the installed DB? Second question is, what files do you refer to? The installed board files I backed up from the old host server? Or third question, board files from an uninstalled phpBB 3.0.8 or later version and then modify the config.php?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:06 pm

The installed board files I backed up from the old host server?
Do you have that files :o
Why not just upload them?
edit the config.php with the setting from the database and ready.

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:12 pm

Hello,

Not sure what happened with my last post(s). I had started to answer your last post when a forum message popped up indicating some had left a post while I was working on my response. I stopped to see the new post but found nothing. I then returned to my response and changed 2 paragraphs. When I posted it I found that 2 posts went up. They are similar but the post time stamp 4:57 PM is the one I wanted you to read.

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Hello,

I had done just that and error messages resulted. See below:

Warning: require(./includes/acm/acm_phpbb\cache\driver\file.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home4/transformme2/public_html/forum308/common.php on line 189

Warning: require(./includes/acm/acm_phpbb\cache\driver\file.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home4/transformme2/public_html/forum308/common.php on line 189

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required './includes/acm/acm_phpbb\cache\driver\file.php' (include_path='.:/opt/php56/lib/php') in /home4/transformme2/public_html/forum308/common.php on line 189

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:39 pm

See viewtopic.php?p=14254426

Bedtime here.

John Robi

Post by John Robi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:43 pm

Hello,

Bed time, yes sounds good. Thank you so much.

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”