migrating from phpbb 2.0.x to phpBB 3.2.7, PHP5 to PHP7, MySQL 5.6 to MySQL 8

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
NeedToKnow

migrating from phpbb 2.0.x to phpBB 3.2.7, PHP5 to PHP7, MySQL 5.6 to MySQL 8

Post by NeedToKnow » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:25 am

Yes, I'm aware it's a big step. That said, I'd like to forge ahead anyway but I've encountered three (and a two-third) problems

1. Somewhere in the middle of filling 'topics' (between rows 22000 and 22400) I see about a dozen lines like this.

In /home/www/public_html/phpBB3/includes/functions_convert.php on line 2357

All the lines are the same, and there is no other message. If I click 'continue conversion' the process seems to continue but I can't help but suspect something is not quite right.

2a. While filling the 'posts' table I got an out of memory error [1041]. I'm on a low-end web server so there is no expectation of high performance. I adjusted the swap file size and have been able to get past this (for now).

Note. I left the browser page open while I reconfigured the server. The url was like this...

http://example.com/install/app.php/convert/in_progress/phpbb20?current_table=16&skip_rows=913349

Interestingly, it seemed I was able to continue without restarting the whole process.

2b. Noteworthy. Sometimes while filling the posts table I got a blank white page. Using browser/firefox refresh seemed to allow things to continue.

2c. The conversion process seems to be resource intensive. In addition to being out of memory, I got a notification from the host company that I had "exceeded the notification threshold (10000) for disk io rate by averaging 12892.21 for the last 2 hours." It's a bit of a concern because my effort to convert from phpbb 2 to 3 is to test the process. I am not using live data and if everything goes well I'll have to do this again. I don't particularly want to slow down the process - it takes long enough as it is - but it means I'll have to work out all the errors before attempting the final conversion.

3. "You have an error in your SQL syntax." I'll post the whole message.

Code: Select all

Error 3

http://example.com/install/app.php/convert/in_progress/phpbb20?current_table=19&skip_rows=860

Information

General Error:
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'groups\x0AWHERE (groups.group_single_user = 0)\x0A LIMIT 2000' at line 2 [1064]

SQL

SELECT groups.group_id, groups.group_type, groups.group_name, groups.group_description FROM otr_groups groups WHERE (groups.group_single_user = 0) LIMIT 2000
in file /home/www/public_html/phpBB3/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 997

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: installer_msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 997
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php
LINE: 193
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysql_base.php
LINE: 45
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysqli->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 270
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysql_base->_sql_query_limit()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/convert/convertor.php
LINE: 702
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_query_limit()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/convert/controller/convertor.php
LINE: 370
CALL: phpbb\convert\convertor->convert_data()

FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-kernel/HttpKernel.php
LINE: 135
CALL: phpbb\convert\controller\convertor->convert()

FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-kernel/HttpKernel.php
LINE: 57
CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\HttpKernel->handleRaw()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/app.php
LINE: 61
CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpKernel\HttpKernel->handle() 
The topic seems to have been brought up once before viewtopic.php?t=2508951 but it's a show stopper for me here. After nearly twenty years of phpbb2 I'm finally taking the upgrade seriously. It's ironic that I might have to delay the process or even downgrade MySQL to make it happen.

Thanks for making it this far in my post. I look forward to your insights.

[ edit ] unchecked the parse url checkbox, then added this note ;-)
Last edited by NeedToKnow on Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: migrating from phpbb 2.0.x to phpBB 3.2.7, PHP5 to PHP7, MySQL 5.6 to MySQL 8

Post by 3Di » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:28 am

My first thought? Change host or plan.
MySql 8 is not fully supported afaik.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: migrating from phpbb 2.0.x to phpBB 3.2.7, PHP5 to PHP7, MySQL 5.6 to MySQL 8

Post by david63 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am

3Di wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:28 am
... or set up a local server and do the conversion there and then restore to the live server
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:40 am

david63 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am
3Di wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:28 am
... or set up a local server and do the conversion there and then restore to the live server
Yes.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

NeedToKnow

Post by NeedToKnow » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:10 am

david63 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am
That's certainly an option. I haven't done anything like that for a long while but it's doable.

NeedToKnow

Post by NeedToKnow » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 am

A little update.

I used AMPPS to create a local server environment. It didn't work perfectly out of the box but with a bit of tweaking I as able to achieve an errorless conversion. As I had experienced online, the conversion is indeed resource intensive but got the job done in under four hours.

I saved the conversion using phpBB's maintenance > backup. It worked fine. The restore, however, is buggy. I adjusted the "line 219 extensions" miscue but it didn't import properly so I ended up doing a mysql reload. So far so good.

I should note that downgrading MySQL8 was no fun at all.

I'm having a problem with avatars. Only about half the custom avatars converted to the new system, a few got dropped entirely. For example, random samples...

Working
file.php?avatar=466.gif
file.php?avatar=5323.jpg

Missing
file.php?avatar=58.jpg
file.php?avatar=4307.jpg

I don't know the cause but I have them backed up so I can take my time manually tweaking. Anyway...

The /upload/ folder displays fine. But the galleries don't show up. Not in the profile drop down list and not on pages. I've double checked everything but still no go. I haven't tried to upload anything yet.

One question. Which tables are roles and permissions stored in? The conversion seems to have retained the basics but the added user levels will need attention. So, if I play around setting up the new configuration, I'd really like not having to do it all over again when I'm ready to go live. You know, if I can get it working, ideally I'd just back up permissions, import the conversion, and restore permission.

Thanks

stanleyb233

Post by stanleyb233 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:32 pm

Goodevening! Im the owner of a dutch phpbb 2.0 forum and i also want to upgrade. I d like to get in contact with you but im not allowed to send a personal message. Im wondering if you managed to make the update?

Thanks Ralf

NeedToKnow

Post by NeedToKnow » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:51 am

Hi Ralf,

I haven't gone live with it yet because I'm still sorting out an email problem. Once that's done I will invite a couple of my visitors to have a look around, and if all's well then I'll redo the database back up and restore and finally open up shop.

For whatever it might be worth, as I've been working on this I've had a chance to install a couple extensions, and I have to say I'm impressed with the (new to me) system which makes easy work of adding functionality. So despite a few hiccups during conversion, I am optimistic this will be a good up-grade.

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”