Post (2.x to 3.2.7) conversion clean up

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
NeedToKnow

Post (2.x to 3.2.7) conversion clean up

Post by NeedToKnow » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:54 am

The conversion from phpbb 2.x to 3.2.7 went reasonably well. About six hours to convert the database. Building the search index took another twelve hours. One browser crash while indexing but firefox restored the session so I hope it continued without too much error. It wouldn't have been so bad if it could be left unattended but the blank white page during indexing meant that from time to time I had to keep an eye on its progress. (Yes, I could have written a macro).

Issues of note.

The first new registration was put into the newly registered and the registered users groups at the same time. Not sure what's up with that. I just now "Set Newly Registered Users group to default" to yes, so let's see if that has any effect.

I removed the new registration from the regular members group, and, using test permissions, I see they can see nothing on the board. I made sure the newly registered user group was included for specific forums but sill no go.

As I write, it occurs to me I could be misunderstanding the simultaneity of newly registered and the registered users groups. The 'nevers' of the newly registered group should override the other group. If that's so, it still doesn't explain why it can't see any forums.

At least one registered user can access the ACP. This is my test login, not a real user. Trouble is I can't find a reason why it has access to the ACP. It's worth noting, it can only see the board stats, and one extension (authorized URLs). Nothing else. This would be nice to figure out in case there are any others.

One last note. I have "Manage Auto Groups" installed. Only one group is configured. It adds an extra layer of restrictions between Newly Registered and Registered Users. By itself it "shouldn't" cause a problem.

Any ideas? Thanks.

warmweer

Re: Post (2.x to 3.2.7) conversion clean up

Post by warmweer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 am

NeedToKnow wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:54 am
As I write, it occurs to me I could be misunderstanding the simultaneity of newly registered and the registered users groups. The 'nevers' of the newly registered group should override the other group. If that's so, it still doesn't explain why it can't see any forums.
Use the permission mask for a user in a specific group and that forum to see which permission settings block his access. (compare that to your testaccount).
see: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ions_mask/
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

NeedToKnow

Post by NeedToKnow » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:40 am

I thought I'd follow up on this topic.

re: the search index. So far, so good. It seems to be working fine. If anything has not been indexed as a result of the browser crash I haven't been able to find it (as ironic as that might sound)

re: the problem of a regular member being able to see a portion of the ACP. The masks did not indicate anything amiss. However, the problem seems to have gone away. I'm not sure what I may have done to make a difference. That said, I was having a cookie re-login problem. I've since reconfigured cookie options on the forum and removed all related old cookies from the browser (including those from the pre-domain setup used for testing). I would have thought this shouldn't make a difference but one never knows. I prefer point A to point B answers but I'll accept a solution when it comes.

re: new registrations placed in two groups (newly registered users and registered users). While I can accept this as a permission override idea, I can't say I'm in favor of forum access differences. If I block new users from a forum, then they shouldn't gain access via the second group.

Two extensions (Authorized URLs and Ban Hammer) are not working as advertised. I'll post in the appropriate places for those.

A new thought. Spambot countermeasures. I'm disappointed the plugins are an either/or set up as opposed to an and/or configuration. On my old phpbb2.x forum I had three registration checks (an image, a q&a, and a blank box)... that dropped the number of spambots that got through down to about 10% of those that attempted to get in. The html names of the q&a and box were also configurable. This, and the two extensions that aren't working properly, is perhaps the only downside of switching to phpbb 3.2.7.

Writing extensions seems to have a steep learning curve. It's too soon to say but maybe in time I'll see what I can give back to phpbb.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 am

NeedToKnow wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:40 am
re: new registrations placed in two groups (newly registered users and registered users). While I can accept this as a permission override idea, I can't say I'm in favor of forum access differences. If I block new users from a forum, then they shouldn't gain access via the second group.
It's a question of hierarchy: A NEVER for a permission in 1 group will override any YES for the same permission in the other groups. A NO can be overridden by a YES (there are a few exceptions but not relevant in this case).
NeedToKnow wrote:
Two extensions (Authorized URLs and Ban Hammer) are not working as advertised. I'll post in the appropriate places for those.
Perhaps theyre's' not updated for 3.2.7
NeedToKnow wrote:
... that dropped the number of spambots that got through down to about 10% of those that attempted to get in.
10% is still high. A good Q&A can get that down to 0.0x %
NeedToKnow wrote:
Writing extensions seems to have a steep learning curve. It's too soon to say but maybe in time I'll see what I can give back to phpbb.
True, but reading the info on the Skeleton Extension + looking at the simple extensions could get you on the correct path relatively quickly.
The year is 2192. The British Prime Minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.

NeedToKnow

Post by NeedToKnow » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:22 pm

warmweer wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 am
NeedToKnow wrote:
... that dropped the number of spambots that got through down to about 10% of those that attempted to get in.
10% is still high. A good Q&A can get that down to 0.0x %
I agree. Of those that managed to register, virtually none were ever able to post even without a moderator queue. I expect it'll take a while but I have hopes of reaching the same standard on the new forum.

While we're here, what would be an example of a good question? And how often do you find it needs to be updated?

:)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:01 pm

If you have enabled the Newly registered users feature, they are supposed to be in both Registered users and Newly registered users. The Nevers of the latter cancel out the Yeses of the latter. Once they meet the post threshold, they are removed from Newly Registered and remain in Registered.

The only effect of making a group the default is the group color and avatar, if any.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Convertors”