Confusion about sentence in ACP - CPF

Having a question about translating phpBB 3.2? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB 3.2? Here would be the correct place to do so.
leschek

Confusion about sentence in ACP - CPF

Post by leschek »

In Custom profile fields settings are Language definitions, where user can define his/her own names for CPF. If your board has more languages than one, you can see following line:

Since you have more than one board language installed, you now can change or add the remaining language items too. The profile field will work with the default language enabled.

Can someone tell me, please, what exactly the second line The profile field will work with the default language enabled. mean?

I mean, there is always some default language selected on the board, isn't it? If I'm correct, there is no need for this sentence. But it is here, so there must be some reason for it and I'm probably missing something.
GanstaZ

Re: Confusion about sentence in ACP - CPF

Post by GanstaZ »

I have never used it, but as i see it, if your default language is not english & that field doesn't have the current language string, then it will point to english one. It just uses a default string or as mentioned - the one that you changed/added (to any language packs installed on your board) & that is all.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
david63

Post by david63 »

My understanding, having been working around this area, is that if you do not have a definition in your, or the user's, language then the default language definition for that CPF (which on a vanilla install will be English) will be used. I do not believe that it refers to the default, or any other, set of language files.

Taking this silly example.
  • Your board's default language is French.
  • Your user's language is German.
  • The default CPF definition is English.
So if there are no German entries for the definition the English version will be shown to the German user.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
david63

Post by david63 »

GanstaZ wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:06 pm the one that you changed/added (to any language packs installed on your board)
The CPF language definitions are not in the language pack but in their own table in the database
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you for the replies.
david63 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:12 pm Taking this silly example.

Your board's default language is French.
Your user's language is German.
The default CPF definition is English.

So if there are no German entries for the definition the English version will be shown to the German user.
I was thinking the same, but I test it and if I don't fill some of the language fields it will allow me to save the profile field, but it will not be visible in UCP - Profile (it will not be visible in languages that are not filled, in other languages it works.). Also it write me the following warning on the top of CPF table:
Warning

At least one custom profile field has not yet been translated. Please enter the required information by clicking on the “Translate” link.
david63

Post by david63 »

In tests that I have done I have not encountered any problems and it works as I outlined above. However I will add that I do not have a true multi language board - I just add other languages when I need to test something.
David

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

david63 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:13 pm
GanstaZ wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:06 pm the one that you changed/added (to any language packs installed on your board)
The CPF language definitions are not in the language pack but in their own table in the database
Well.. i didn't mean package as file/s, but as whole (db included).
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
leschek

Post by leschek »

Thank you for clarification. I figured out where the problem was. When I create a new CPF then language entries for CPF will be prefilled. But when I delete those some of those entries, it will show me message about translation, as I posted above. If I understand it correctly the whole line could be written like this (I want to translate it, that's why I'm asking here):

Since you have more than one board language installed, you now can change or add the remaining language items too. If you don't, then default language setting for this CPF will be used.
david63

Post by david63 »

If you think that it reads better, and is clearer, then create a ticket in the Bug Tracker to get it changed in the core.

I do agree that it could be phrased a bit clearer.
David

leschek

Post by leschek »

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

I also agree that the original phrasing probably isn't clear enough for many non- or not-native english speakers.
The proposed rephrasing does provide more and clearer info.
*thumbs up*
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.2.x] Translations”