How to change colors and logo in Prosilver of phpbb 3.3?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
ssl
Name: Fred

Re: How to change colors and logo in Prosilver of phpbb 3.3?

Post by ssl »

Hi
1) find .headerbar
2) find .forumbg, .forabg
3) find li.row
4) find :

Code: Select all

li.row {
    border-top-color: #XXXXXX;
    border-bottom-color: #XXXXXX;
}
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and that is exactly what we are saying in this topic. right click on the section of the web page ( any web page ) and choose
inspect element or whatever your browser uses. that will pop up a box with the css for whatever you right clicked on.

it will tell you the hex code for the color etc. however, in prosilver, it is not just a color. it is sometimes an actual image background and a color. as I said above, you have to uncheck the boxes next to the background image. then you see the actual color that you can change or remove etc.

not sure why you are looking at css in a php code editor but hey, what do I know? most people use a text editor to edit the css.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 »

ssl wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:44 am
Hi
1) find .headerbar
2) find .forumbg, .forabg
3) find li.row
4) find :

Code: Select all

li.row {
    border-top-color: #XXXXXX;
    border-bottom-color: #XXXXXX;
}
Thanks Fred. I am doing something wrong because I found those lines, changed colors, and still I get the same pattern. I did purge the cache, shut down the site, and re-started. So I obviously need more understanding of the issue.
Will keep exploring ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie

check to make sure you are changing the css in the correct style. while working on the style it helps to go to the admin panel, load settings and set "Recompile stale style components:" to yes. that will allow you to make changes to the style files and not have to purge the cache each time. you will need to refresh your browser.
oh, did you refresh your browser to see the changes you have made?

robert

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:06 pm
and that is exactly what we are saying in this topic. right click on the section of the web page ( any web page ) and choose
inspect element or whatever your browser uses. that will pop up a box with the css for whatever you right clicked on.

it will tell you the hex code for the color etc. however, in prosilver, it is not just a color. it is sometimes an actual image background and a color. as I said above, you have to uncheck the boxes next to the background image. then you see the actual color that you can change or remove etc.

not sure why you are looking at css in a php code editor but hey, what do I know? most people use a text editor to edit the css.

robert
Why? Because as I said above, you guys go supersonic and not only am I a balsa wood plane, my rubber band just broke ;) What would you recommend for .css editing? VSCode gives you a good interface and it has error correction. If you are a wizard at the language, no issues, but if you are not, the corrections help.
You talk about check/uncheck boxes. In VSCode, I do not have those (which goes in line with what you say). A quick screen:
colors.jpg
This is the section of code that apparently sets the colors. I don't see any image, so, again, I am lost as to the elements. And when I click on the elements and find the colors, and change them, nothing happens:
colors2.jpg
Again, even after purging the cache.
So, that is the reason I am not getting it (perhaps some unnatural non-gifts for this ish are also at play).
For you guys, it is second nature. It is like a french speaking french. For the rest of us... c'est tres dificile (courtesy of Google Translate).
Anyway, thanks for your post. One little step forward :)
P_I

Post by P_I »

You shouldn't have to refresh the browser to see changes if you do things correctly and are aware that phpBB's CSS uses hash values in styles/prosilver/theme/stylesheet.css for browser cache busting.

See viewtopic.php?t=2562666 and in particular
thecoalman wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:56 am
Mannix_ wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:07 am
What about the css files that have been included in the overall_header.html file?
When you purge the cache or other actions like updating the version is incremented, in this case 123.

<link href="./styles/prosilver/theme/stylesheet.css?assets_version=123" rel="stylesheet">

It's considered new file so the browser will download it. The issue is stylesheet.css is static file and will contain import links for other CSS files like this:

@import url("normalize.css?hash=e6c08715");

Since they are using hash value it will change if the file is changed. This only applies to updates though.... If you edit any of these files between updates you need to edit the value hash=but it could be anything.

Purge the cache which will trigger the browser to download new version of stylesheet.css and it will also download new version of any files you have changed value for hash=.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:53 pm
check to make sure you are changing the css in the correct style. while working on the style it helps to go to the admin panel, load settings and set "Recompile stale style components:" to yes. that will allow you to make changes to the style files and not have to purge the cache each time. you will need to refresh your browser.
oh, did you refresh your browser to see the changes you have made?

robert
And THAT was the key! Once I changed those settings it showed up.
One last question: to have a new style with these colors, I need to rename it both IN THE STYLE FOLDERS and in the style.cfg, right? For the system to recognize it.

Txs, Fred, Lumpy and P_I. Enjoy the night.
Lumpy Burgertushie

correct.

robert

ponchi101

Post by ponchi101 »

Returning once more to this subject.
If you only want to change some colors of lines, headers and such, DO NOT try to change them in prosilver. StylesRobot created PROSILVER SPECIAL EDITION, which has a much simpler stylesheet.css file with far fewer lines of code. It is easier to change the colors there as opposed than in the colours.css in PROSILVER.
Only for minor changes. Then change the names as explained here.
Still, thanks to all here for all the help.

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”