Individual background posts

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
AmberSky

Individual background posts

Post by AmberSky »

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the support forum... If I'm wrong, please let me know...

Does anyone know how a user can change the individual post background? Not a highlight, but where a whole post can be a different color. Back in the day we used to use tables to do this. But was wondering if there was a simple BBC that could be used or some other way of doing it?
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Re: Individual background posts

Post by Hanakin »

can you be more specific. Do you just want to alter the color of the posts, or for specific situation? either way all the colors are found in colors.css

each post is given a color class of bg1 or bg2, but there are other classes on the posts that can be styled based on different reasons such as if a user is online or if a post is unread. You can even give sticky/global/announcements different colors

you can also add your own classes in the template file viewtopic_body.html if you search for class="post
AmberSky

Post by AmberSky »

No, I don't mean anything that would actually require coding of the style. This would be something that the individual user could do to a post to make it more... personal. Like how they can change fonts, colors, etc on their own

For example, I don't have anything to do with the website we are looking at right now (phpbb.com). But what if I wanted to make this post stand out more? Instead of seeing blue on the post bg, maybe I'd want to use some bbcode to turn it green. Any way of doing that?

How I used to do it was with a table. But we used html and its kinda tricky using html these days with phpbb. Back then though we would jusst adjust a table's background. And just have the whole post as a table.

I know it sounds strange wanting to make a single post background different, but there's some cases where that can be handy. Like if a person wanted to explain how to do something and they used different font colors to emphasis the process. If the boards style were ever changed - you might loose text if the post's background changed to a similar color. You would have to go in and edit each post to adjust to the new board's theme. Where as if in the beginning when you post something important, if you were able to make the post a specific color, then you would never have to worry about that.

Does that make any sense?
david63

Post by david63 »

You will need an extension to do that.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”