Responsive styles that are maintained?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
smileypk

Responsive styles that are maintained?

Post by smileypk »

I have a very basic phpBB installation for the company I work for.

We are required to install any and all updates to software within 30 days of its release for security purposes. When new releases of phpBB are released, I can't waste much time before installing the new version.

The default style does not work for us and isn't even responsive, so we will need a new one. However, it has to be updated often enough that we can quickly update phpBB when there are new releases.

Are there any responsive styles that are constantly and reliably updated to new phpBB releases?
_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Re: Responsive styles that are maintained?

Post by _Vinny_ »

What is your version of phpBB?

Currently, styles for phpBB 3.1 and 3.2 are compatible in responsive mode.
smileypk

Post by smileypk »

It's phpBB 3.2.1.

What I'm concerned about is that phpBB 3.3 is released (for example) and whatever style I chose for 3.2.1 doesn't work with it. So, I'd then either have to postpone updating to phpBB 3.3 (which I can't do), or I would update to it and be forced to choose a new style, which I'm trying to avoid if at all possible.

I don't know if this is a valid concern or not.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not really. 3.3 is most likely not going to come out any time soon.
when it does it very well may have a completely different default style but it will be included in the update/upgrade and will be updated automatically when you update/upgrade to 3.3 and all versions in the future will work the same way.

as for the current version of 3.2.1, the default prosilver is completely responsive so I am not sure what problems you may be having with it.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
smileypk

Post by smileypk »

It didn't seem responsive when we were using it; seemed very small on mobile. In any case, in our testing, users responded very negatively to the prosilver style, so we'll need to change it in any case.

I'm just concerned that we'll upgrade phpBB in the future and whatever style we chose will no longer work. That's why I'm wondering if there are any known well-maintained responsive styles.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

styles are maintained by their creators ( or not ). phpbb.com has no control over any styles other than the default that comes with the package.
phpbb 3.3 will be a major upgrade and whatever changes are made to the default style will be what we will all have use until the style creators catch up with new styles.

the default style that ships with phpbb ( whatever that may be at the time ) is regulary maintained/updated just like the rest of the program is.
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Post by _Vinny_ »

smileypk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 am It didn't seem responsive when we were using it; seemed very small on mobile. In any case, in our testing, users responded very negatively to the prosilver style, so we'll need to change it in any case.
My mobile has a very small screen and I have no problem accessing forums with prosilver and no other style for 3.1 and 3.2.

Can I ask the address of your forum?

smileypk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 am I'm just concerned that we'll upgrade phpBB in the future and whatever style we chose will no longer work. That's why I'm wondering if there are any known well-maintained responsive styles.
Hard to say, we have no control over when the authors have provided updates on their contributions.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

smileypk wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 am It didn't seem responsive when we were using it; seemed very small on mobile.
You may find that my Large Font extension of use to you. It is not a style but an Extension that works with any prosilver based style and allows each user to change the font size and/or make the font bold as they require.
HappySailor

Post by HappySailor »

Prosilver is a good starting point for you. You can increase font sizes easily with css. My forums is using prosilver, and I changed its look to what I need with a couple of css adjustments. I made a few other changes as well, but you won't need them, if it's only about bigger font.
smileypk

Post by smileypk »

We definitely won't be using prosilver. We received too many complaints about prosilver in testing.
smileypk

Post by smileypk »

In any case, the question was not whether styles are maintained or not. Here is the question in the OP:

"Are there any responsive styles that are constantly and reliably updated to new phpBB releases?"

So, if you know of a style other than prosilver that is regularly maintained, please feel free to chime in.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:53 am styles are maintained by their creators ( or not ). phpbb.com has no control over any styles other than the default that comes with the package.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

A little self-promotion here, but premium styles are generally maintained extremely frequently given that they're premium (and if sold through a platform, the platform will hold the uploader to account for maintenance and support).

With regards to my Milk style, the 3.2.2 update was submitted to ThemeForest only hours after the public release, and then approved by ThemeForest ~48 hours later.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

prosilver and prosilver SE are the only maintained styles that are updated with a release as it currently stands. Both of which are somewhat responsive in that it was hacked in as an afterthought. However, since all themes are based on provilver at this point they all suffer from this unless you go with a premium theme. If you are required to update within 30 days arbitrarily to a new version (that is not a security release mind you as 3.3 is, in fact, a minor release) then stick with the default theme or look into a Premium.

However, keep in mind that we are working to overhaul the theme/theme process to make it a lot easier to maintain/update/tweak themes upon release. This is still however in its early stages.

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”