Ways to Customize the prosilver default style?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
50LL3KR4M

Ways to Customize the prosilver default style?

Post by 50LL3KR4M » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm

So now an other one tricky question :roll:
Can i modify the prosilver default style(customize it altering the css design code by hand)?
also is there any safe extension/plugin for the 3.2.2 version that can do this exact thing(altering specific code for styling with some kind of gui so i can see what i change in the style)?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Ways to Customize the prosilver default style?

Post by david63 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:55 pm

50LL3KR4M wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm
Can i modify the prosilver default style(customize it altering the css design code by hand)?
It's your board so you can whatever you want, but remember that whatever changes you make will have to be re-applied whenever you update/upgrade.
50LL3KR4M wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:19 pm
is there any safe extension/plugin for the 3.2.2 version that can do this exact thing
Not that I have ever seen.

The better way that changing code is to create a "child" style based on prosilver as that way you will always have prosilver to fall back on and you will have less changes to re-apply.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:34 pm

make a copy of the prosilver folder. save it somewhere on your computer. rename the folder and open the folder and then open the style.cfg file.

look for name = prosilver change prosilver to whatever you named the folder above.

then, upload that new style to your server using your ftp. and install it from your admin panel.
then choose it as the style you are using.
then, edit whatever you want on the copy of the new style that you have on your computer.
when done, upload the changed files to the server.
then, purge the cache, then refresh your browser to see the changes.

once you are happy with it, you can either offer it to your users as a choice between it and prosilver etc. or, set it as default and check yes for override user and it will become the style that everyone has to use.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

50LL3KR4M

Post by 50LL3KR4M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am

perfect i found a nice style modern and clean, that i will use.
but my question is now can i use this style with adsense, also what can i do with the adsense code from the previous style will i cut it and paste it in the other files .htmls of my new style?

50LL3KR4M

Post by 50LL3KR4M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:47 am

or will i have to create new adsense units?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 am

50LL3KR4M wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am
my question is now can i use this style with adsense, also what can i do with the adsense code from the previous style
The Adsense extension will (or at least should) work with all prosilver based styles so there is nothing to do.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

50LL3KR4M

Post by 50LL3KR4M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am

david63 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 am
50LL3KR4M wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am
my question is now can i use this style with adsense, also what can i do with the adsense code from the previous style
The Adsense extension will (or at least should) work with all prosilver based styles so there is nothing to do.
I add them via code(no use of extension) in default style html pages, should i do the same copy paste in the new style that i override(and delete them from the previous), or should i create new ad units?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 am

50LL3KR4M wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 am
should i do the same copy paste in the new style that i override(and delete them from the previous), or should i create new ad units?
No idea.

Why do you not use extensions? You would not have these issues - it would be seamless changing styles. The whole concept of phpBB 3.1/3.2 is that you do not edit core code but use extensions.
David

50LL3KR4M

Post by 50LL3KR4M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 am

I know but i'm afraid a little bit, if they will be pasted elsewhere that are not allowed by adsense.
I eventually paste them in the same areas that I used in the default style and they are working blank but they are working(until are going to be verified).
The problem is solved ;)
Thanks for all the answers!

huggle

Post by huggle » Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm

in previous versions of phpBB it was possible to edit every single file of an installed template, directly from the acp.
Is there a similar feature available for 3.2.x?

I had to upgrade 6 boards from 3.0.x and they all lost their customized templates (modified clones of subsilver) in that process. Of course I have backups that I can use to recreate colour schemes and layouts but building a template manually is hard work and in every step there's a risk to make a typo and ruin the work of hours or days - the acp-version was an excellent way to avoid these and it was far quicker than any human.
I'd love to have that feature back.

If there's a hack available for download, please tell me what it's called - it is impossible to find something online if you don't know its name, particularly if you have to perform the search in a foreign language.
if you make it idiot-proof
someone will upgrade the idiot

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

No, there is no acp style editor anymore. It's because the 3.0 style editor only worked on the cached template files, after clearing the cache all modifications were gone.

But, to edit a style, all you need is a good text editor , make a local copy of prosilver, change the relevant style files (use template inheritance as described in the dev guidelines ) and upload your new style to your board's styles directory.
Have a look in the styles area for more information, and maybe you use a existing style similar to yours: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles-2/3.2
Last edited by canonknipser on Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Also I would add that even if you did keep the changes from your 3.0 styles those styles would not have worked with 3.2.2. From memory there are close on 20k code changes from 3.0.x to the current style.
David

huggle

Post by huggle » Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 am

Thank you canonknipser! That was a very swift reply :)
I had hoped to be able to avoid making these alterations by hand. These old templates were based on subsilver but so heavily modified that hardly anything of the originals was left. Unfortunately, there is no template at all that only remotely resembles the ones we were running - they were literally unique. That means I must build 6 templates completely from scratch using a software I am not yet familiar with. And there I had hoped I could give my users the old look and feel back till Friday *sigh*

Well, it can't be helped.

Is there by any chance a "editing templates for dummies" around? I'm sure many beginners would like to know how to add a banner (and change its size) or how to edit a board's background colour. That'd come handy for us oldtimers as well. I've been using phpBB ever since 2001 and the extreme code changes in these 17 years are slowly but surely going over my head. The file structure and coding has changed so much that lately I really don't get it anymore, which is utterly frustrating (and dangerous if you edit without knowing exactly what you are doing).
It'd be nice to have a manual for the most common editing situations. Perhaps one of the developers could take pity and write one? It'd also have the advantage of saving you all a gazillion of questions from newbies - saves time and nerves on both sides.

@David - naah, you misunderstood. One needs a backup of the old template in order to reinstall buttons, banners, background graphics etc. to the new template and to look up the old colour codes and layout and font settings to insert in the new config file.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 pm

it will be much easier if you just find a current style that is as close as you can get to your old one and start from there.

for instance, the current styles no longer use all the images that the old ones did. it uses a lot of font awesome code instead of images.

there are a lot of other things that are different as well.

how about a link to the old board so we can see what you are working with.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

huggle

Post by huggle » Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 pm

that's a very nice offer. Thank you!
Unfortunately, I can't show you the old board since it no longer exists. On Saturday, I received a mail from my hosting company telling me that for security reasons all unsafe scripts must be eliminated until Tuesday which in my case meant that I had to upgrade 6 boards pronto since the deadline was today. Otherwise, they'd have forcibly upgraded my boards. Without carefully deinstalling all mods and hacks first... - one flinches at the mere thought (to see an example of what happens in such a case, have a look at http://www.terranbbs.net - you need a collision of two black holes to get a database more kaputt than this). So I chose the lesser of two evils, upgraded the boards in haste and only kept full backups of the originals.

Reconstructing the old templates will be no problem as far as the editing itself is concerned. The difficulty is to find out where the respective commands are hiding in the new files. I printed out all *.css today and shall go over them, line by line, writing the old settings into the new files and then transfering these edits to the real thing. No prob, just very time consuming.
By Christmas we should be back to the old look :lol:

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”