Are there any "non-responsive" styles fpr 3.2.x

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
cdnchris

Are there any "non-responsive" styles fpr 3.2.x

Post by cdnchris »

I was a hold-out on updating from 3.0 and only recently updated to 3.2. One of the reasons I held out, though, was the fact our users don't like change (making slight mods would send a bunch of people into a tizzy). At any rate, the update has actually gone over rather well but there are a handful of people that just don't like the responsive nature of the forum. Since there isn't an option to disable this aspect I was thinking about somehow adding functionality to disable it on a per-user basis BUT then I was wondering if maybe I could provide an alternate style the users can set that is not responsive.

Long story short: I'm looking through the DB of styles listed here and nothing stands out, does anyone here knew of a style that doesn't make use of the responsive css? Thanks!
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Are there any "non-responsive" styles for 3.2.x

Post by HiFiKabin »

Not that I am aware of (and if it did exist it probably would not pass validation)

You can try this

OPEN

styles/prosilver/there/stylesheet.php

Code: Select all

/*  phpBB3 Style Sheet
    --------------------------------------------------------------
	Style name:			prosilver (the default phpBB 3.2.x style)
	Based on style:
	Original author:	Tom Beddard ( http://www.subblue.com/ )
	Modified by:		phpBB Limited ( https://www.phpbb.com/ )
*/

@import url("normalize.css?v=3.2");
@import url("base.css?v=3.2");
@import url("utilities.css?v=3.2");
@import url("common.css?v=3.2");
@import url("links.css?v=3.2");
@import url("content.css?v=3.2");
@import url("buttons.css?v=3.2");
@import url("cp.css?v=3.2");
@import url("forms.css?v=3.2");
@import url("icons.css?v=3.2");
@import url("colours.css?v=3.2");
@import url("responsive.css?v=3.2");
delete the last line, upload it to the server and refresh your browsers cache

Remember to Backup before editing.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Are there any "non-responsive" styles fpr 3.2.x

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what am I missing here? a responsive style doesn't look any diferent than a non responsive style unless you are looking at it on a tablet or phone.
if you viewing it on a desktop or a laptop it looks just the same as a non responsive style.
if you are viewing it on a phone then depending on the style certain things may move around or change to drop down menus so that you can use it easily without scrollling for days to see everything.

do you have some specific complaints from your users that would explain what they think the problem is?

It really doesn't make any sense for someone to say they don't like a responsive design. what does that mean exactly?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Something else to consider is that a handful of people don't like it but the rest are fine with it. If you bow to the handful you're going to ruin it for the majority. Sometimes it's better to tell people that's just the way it is. They'll get used to it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
cdnchris

Post by cdnchris »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:39 pm what am I missing here? a responsive style doesn't look any diferent than a non responsive style unless you are looking at it on a tablet or phone.
if you viewing it on a desktop or a laptop it looks just the same as a non responsive style.
if you are viewing it on a phone then depending on the style certain things may move around or change to drop down menus so that you can use it easily without scrollling for days to see everything.

do you have some specific complaints from your users that would explain what they think the problem is?

It really doesn't make any sense for someone to say they don't like a responsive design. what does that mean exactly?

robert
Basically they like the forum to look the same on their phone/tablet as it does on their desktop. They like having the wider layout, even though it calls for zooming in if they want to read anything. Now, most of my users like the responsive nature of the forum and now find it more useable on their phone (without resorting to TapaTalk) but there have been a few complaints about the look on mobile. I don't get it honestly but I can't say I am too surprised.

I don't want to lose it overall (as I said, most of my users like it) and I'm admittedly not too concerned with it, but I was looking at ways to maybe help out a few users (who have been there for years) who really don't know how to adapt.

I'll play with some ideas but thanks to everyone for your help!
KevC wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 pm Something else to consider is that a handful of people don't like it but the rest are fine with it. If you bow to the handful you're going to ruin it for the majority. Sometimes it's better to tell people that's just the way it is. They'll get used to it.
"You can please some of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time."
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

cdnchris wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 pm "You can please some of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time."
That's absolutely true, which is why it's better to side with the majority.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

ok, try what hifi cabin said above. I just tested it and it works.

what I would do is create a copy of whatever style you are using and rename it and make that edit to that style.
then install that style on the board and allow your users that don't want responsive to use that style instead of the responsive version of it.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AlfredoRamos »

Some modern mobile web browsers, Firefox and Chrome are the ones that I'm aware of, offer an option to see the desktop version of the website ("Request desktop site").
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
Paul Arden
Name: Paul Arden

Post by Paul Arden »

what I would do is create a copy of whatever style you are using and rename it and make that edit to that style.
then install that style on the board and allow your users that don't want responsive to use that style instead of the responsive version of it.
This worked great - thank you.
it's all about to happen..
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Re: Are there any "non-responsive" styles for 3.2.x

Post by Hanakin »

HiFiKabin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 pm Not that I am aware of (and if it did exist it probably would not pass validation)

You can try this

OPEN

styles/prosilver/there/stylesheet.php

Code: Select all

/*  phpBB3 Style Sheet
	Style name:			prosilver (the default phpBB 3.2.x style)
	Based on style:
	Original author:	Tom Beddard ( http://www.subblue.com/ )
	Modified by:		phpBB Limited ( https://www.phpbb.com/ )
*/

@import url("normalize.css?v=3.2");
@import url("base.css?v=3.2");
@import url("utilities.css?v=3.2");
@import url("common.css?v=3.2");
@import url("links.css?v=3.2");
@import url("content.css?v=3.2");
@import url("buttons.css?v=3.2");
@import url("cp.css?v=3.2");
@import url("forms.css?v=3.2");
@import url("icons.css?v=3.2");
@import url("colours.css?v=3.2");
@import url("responsive.css?v=3.2");
delete the last line, upload it to the server and refresh your browsers cache

Remember to Backup before editing.
This will not fully work only partially...I feel you have not fully tested everything as there is alot of very bad javascript buffoonery in play for mobile as well...such as links hiding

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”