phpBB 3.0.9 with subsilver2 - best options?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
ttfan

phpBB 3.0.9 with subsilver2 - best options?

Post by ttfan »

I've been running a phpBB forum v3.0.9, with a subsilver2 theme. I only have a few MODs installed, but most of the graphics of subsilver2 has been modified to a custom theme.
I feel it's only a matter of time before the server that I'm on (shared hosting) will stop supporting the software as apache and PHP version will no doubt continue to be upgraded.

I know the v3.2 does not support subsilver2, which is why I've been holding off from upgrading, as changing the graphics would a huge task, and the graphics designer that helped is no longer with the team.

Is there a theme with v3.2 that supports most of the graphics used with the old subsilver2, so that the upgrade would not be so painful?

Thanks guys!
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: phpBB 3.0.9 with subsilver2 - best options?

Post by HiFiKabin »

You will probably find this style useful viewtopic.php?f=581&t=2412546

BUT remember everything you have added/edited/modded to your 3.0.x forum WILL be lost in the upgrade, and the style I have linked will NOT support the same edits you have in your subsilver2 template.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
ttfan

Post by ttfan »

Thank you HiFiKabin and stevemaury!
stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:02 pm There is also this - viewtopic.php?p=14894856#p14894856
Thank you! Yes I did notice that thread, but juding by the comments the link is dodgy and the style unsupported. I don't have the skills to make major modifications to get things to work, so I was hoping for something closer and supported. :oops:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

ttfan wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 am Thank you HiFiKabin and stevemaury!
stevemaury wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:02 pm There is also this - viewtopic.php?p=14894856#p14894856
Thank you! Yes I did notice that thread, but juding by the comments the link is dodgy and the style unsupported. I don't have the skills to make major modifications to get things to work, so I was hoping for something closer and supported. :oops:
it is also created with tables like the old subsilver and that is one of the main reasons why the old subsilver was not continued.
i would not suggest that anyone use it. the time will come soon that it will not work at all.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
ttfan

Post by ttfan »

Thank you, I think I'll need to take the plunge.

There seems to be no upgrade package to upgrade from 3.0.9 directly to 3.2. What's the easiest path to take?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Notes:
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.4.7 or higher.
  • phpBB 3.2 is not compatible with 3.0 and most of the previous files will need to be removed prior to upgrading.
  • Styles and MODs from 3.0 cannot be installed on phpBB 3.2. To upgrade, perform the following steps:
  1. Make a back-up of the original files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Remove all MOD-related changes from the database. The Support Toolkit's Database Cleaner can be used for this.
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  7. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.2.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  8. Browse to www.example.com/install/
  9. Click the Update tab
  10. Click the Update button
  11. Select "Update database only" and click Submit
  12. Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
  13. Delete or rename the /install/ directory
ttfan

Post by ttfan »

Thanks very much for the details!

Step 3 worries me... I've got mods installed like 'thanks for posts', which stores info and stats in the database. Does this mean they're all lost?
Is it not possible to install the equivalent mod in the new version, and retrieve the old data?
david63

Post by david63 »

ttfan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am Is it not possible to install the equivalent mod in the new version, and retrieve the old data?
phpBB 3.2 does not use MODs - it uses extensions.

You will need to search the extension fora to see what is available to suit your needs and if there is an upgrade path from the old MOD.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
ttfan

Post by ttfan »

Got it, thank you!

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”