Aliasing an existing style

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
Gingko

Aliasing an existing style

Post by Gingko » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:38 pm

Hello,

I would like to know what is the minimal fileset needed if I just want to create a style which inherits from another style without absolutely any changes ?

Actually I would like this style working as an alias for another style, in order to “replace” a previously existing style which is no longer available with the latest phpBB version, but I want users who were using this old style to get the replacement after migrating to this latest version.

So likely the style needs to have exactly the same name as the older one.

I tried to just create the directory for this style and the “style.cfg” file inside properly configured for this inheritance, expecting all other files being inherited from the parent style, but this doesn't seem to be enough.

Which other files do I need if I want to fully inherit from the parent style ?

Please note that I don't want to modify anything in the parent style, in case it would be later upgraded.
Gingko

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Aliasing an existing style

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:25 pm

don't know any way to do that. you need to remove the old style from the server as it can not be used anyway.
when and if that style gets upgraded you can simply install it again.

what style is it that you have that you are worrying about?
what version of phpbb are you running?

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:26 pm

you will also need to copy the theme folder into your empty style as stylesheets are not inherited, or alternatively use a modified overall_header.html file in the templates directory to point to the style you're inheriting from. More information is here: https://www.phpbb.com/styles/create/#a- ... nheritance

Gingko

Post by Gingko » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:28 am

eeji wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:26 pm
you will also need to copy the theme folder into your empty style as stylesheets are not inherited, or alternatively use a modified overall_header.html file in the templates directory to point to the style you're inheriting from. More information is here: https://www.phpbb.com/styles/create/#a- ... nheritance
Ok, thank you very much.

Extrapolating from what you said and what it is said in the page that you quoted, I created the “theme” folder and a “stylesheet.css” file inside this folder, and I put only the following inside this “stylesheet.css” file :

Code: Select all

@import url("../../<parent style's folder name>/theme/stylesheet.css");
It seems to work.
Gingko

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”