backgrounds

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
millipede

backgrounds

Post by millipede » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Pardon my ramblings....

Do many people use background images for their forums? I was toying with the idea... but am curious if that would add or take away. I was thinking of a dark background with snowflakes or something... i love snow. :)
but I'm curious if backgrounds are used often? What people thought of them... also, if anyone had any favorite places to look for them? Or advice on making them.
i'm an indecisive and EXTREMELY picky person. Searching for things gives you more than you can read in a year... enough to make a person's head spin. I'll keep looking and thinking but wanted thoughts on it. My brain will play ping pong with the idea for now.

Speaking of searching(and my frustrations with it)
Please don't hate me for asking... I feel like there's a discussion on here somewhere on how to make the header look more like this site's header... and, the bar under it. I get lost when I search for some things as there are just so many results(many of them people asking, and people pointing to mods, some of which aren't even released)
Makes me wonder(something that's probably been said or asked before) why such a custom design couldn't be part of the software in the first place.
How is it that there have been lots of discussions and mods that are close but not quite like that design?

I'm thinking, just thinking, that it would just be having the corners correct, image size to match, adding in another navbar that goes directly under it, etc...
I'm rambling.
It's tough being very particular, indecisive, and also forgetful and a procrastinator... not a good combination. :/

If you can point me in the direction of header info great... if not, that's okay. The main topic is the backround thoughts.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: backgrounds

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:42 pm

lots of styles have a background image. keep in mind that not much of it will show since the board normally takes up most of the screen.

open styles/yourstyle/theme/colours.css file in a good text editor.
at the top of the file, find something similar to this:

Code: Select all

html, body {
	color: #536482;
	background-color: #F5F7FA;
}
change it to:

Code: Select all

html, body {
	color: #536482;
	background-color: #F5F7FA;
	background-image: url("./images/yourimage.ext");
}
upload your new background image to the theme/images folder
replace the "yourimage.ext" with the actual file name and extension of your new background image file.

purge the cache, refresh your browser and see if you like it.

robert
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:54 pm

millipede wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:34 pm
<snip>
Please don't hate me for asking... I feel like there's a discussion on here somewhere on how to make the header look more like this site's header... and, the bar under it. <snip>
https://phpbb.hifikabin.me.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=98

and

https://phpbb.hifikabin.me.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=129

millipede

Post by millipede » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks both of you. Good info. I'll look at it more in a while... have a jigsaw puzzle and a 4 year old calling my name.

For anyone that has made their own backgrounds, or got some from the internet, what are good sizes? Dimensions as well as file size... I'm kind of thinking if I create my own a tileable file would be better for bandwidth's sake...
Again... my brain will play ping pong with these ideas for a while... :)

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Background image doesn't have to be full size.. if it's render based it can be placed anywhere.
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:01 am

I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”