Custom header

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
Scottish2

Custom header

Post by Scottish2 »

Hi

I googled this earlier but unsure if I did this right as the codes not coming up in source code and facebooks not finding it either.

But I wanted to insert a couple of lines of code for facebook purposes so when I googled it the response was to open the style folder in question and then in the templates folder update the OVERALL_HEADER.HTML file. I did this for my theme and I know it required a base theme to first be installed in order to install the one I chose so I even tried to update the same file from that theme but the codes not being displayed in source code.

I am using the Black-Silver style but specifically the Black-silver Slim version so it required the first one to be installed then install of the slim version so I have updated both the these with this code but nothing.

So what file do I need to update for it to being up this code in the source code when viewing it?

Thanks
Dave
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Custom header

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you have to purge the cache after making edits to the actual files.

and then refresh your browser .

if you are using a style that inherits from another style and the file you want to edit is not in your style that inherits then you need to make your changes to the one it inherits from. for instance if you need to edit the overall header html file and your slim style does not have a file named overall header then you must edit the style it inherits from. there is no need to edit the same file in both styles.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:41 am you have to purge the cache after making edits to the actual files.

and then refresh your browser .

if you are using a style that inherits from another style and the file you want to edit is not in your style that inherits then you need to make your changes to the one it inherits from. for instance if you need to edit the overall header html file and your slim style does not have a file named overall header then you must edit the style it inherits from. there is no need to edit the same file in both styles.

robert
Already cleared cache was first thing I tried.

And both do have an Overall_header.html file so I have both edited with the coding just in case bu no good!
Lumpy Burgertushie

how about a link to your board so we can see what you are doing.

also, explain what edits you are trying to make to the overall_header.html file.

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 am how about a link to your board so we can see what you are doing.

also, explain what edits you are trying to make to the overall_header.html file.
http://www.dirtydozen2-0.com/phpbb

And the codes are codes that facebook requires to call us all the items when a user shares the page stuff like the image and link and description of the site and few other items

I have this placed directly after the title code line in the overall_header.html as it has to go in the head of the document

Code: Select all

<meta property="og:title" content="Dirty Dozen 2-0"/>
<meta property="og:url" content="http://www.dirtydozen2-0.com/phpbb"/>
<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.dirtydozen2-0.com/images/FB.jpg"/>
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Dirty Dozen 2-0"/>
<meta property="og:description" content="Conservative news and discussion. Behave or else!"/>
Lumpy Burgertushie

yes, I see the code in both of your overall_header.html files.

I am not sure but I don't think that is supposed to show up when you "view source" by right clicking on the page.

robert

Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 am yes, I see the code in both of your overall_header.html files.

I am not sure but I don't think that is supposed to show up when you "view source" by right clicking on the page.

robert
No see this is what I see looking at the source code for this forum I linked to above

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html dir="ltr" lang="en-gb">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />

<title>Dirty Dozen 2.0 Freedom Patriots Forums - Index page</title>

<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - Dirty Dozen 2.0 Freedom Patriots Forums" href="/phpbb/app.php/feed">			<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Feed - New Topics" href="/phpbb/app.php/feed/topics">				

<!--
	phpBB style name:	Black-Silver-Slim
	Based on style:		prosilver (this is the default phpBB3 style)
	Original author:	Tom Beddard ( http://www.subBlue.com/ )
	Modified by:		Joyce&Luna ( https://www.phpbb-Style-Design.de )
	The graphics were acquired by X-Silver by the author Alpha Trion (http://www.skin-lab.com/).
-->

<link href="./assets/css/font-awesome.min.css?assets_version=2" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="./styles/Black-Silver-Slim/theme/stylesheet.css?assets_version=2" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="./styles/Black-Silver-Slim/theme/en/stylesheet.css?assets_version=2" rel="stylesheet">

<!--[if lte IE 9]>
	<link href="./styles/Black-Silver-Slim/theme/tweaks.css?assets_version=2" rel="stylesheet">
<![endif]-->

</head>
As you can see it does not display the code anywhere in the head.

Now take a look at another site I do and look at the source code and you will see the code shows up there right near the top as I can see the lines as I copied the code from this page and this page works fine though facebook blocks it being it's on a free host!

http://survival1776.000webhostapp.com/index.php

It's just meta tags nothing special like you see in come of the PHPBB coding where it calls up this or that hence the code would be replaced by what is being called up.

Like you would never ever see a PHP Includes in the source code as the includes would call up the file that has the coding for that part of the site so you would see the code rather then the includes that would be an example of one where you would not see the code for the includes itself as it would be replaced.

Plus also you can note in the code above from PHPBB they have their own meta tags in there and those do show up in the code but those meta tags are different then the ones I inserted!
Lumpy Burgertushie

do you have a cache of some kind setup at the server level on your hosting account? like cloudfare?

if so, that could be causing a delay on your changes showing up.

or, ask facebook. since the code is there, and it works on a different page, then maybe there is something wrong with using the same code on a different page or something.

sorry, really have no idea how or why anything related to facebook works etc.

luck,
robert

Scottish2

Post by Scottish2 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:43 pm do you have a cache of some kind setup at the server level on your hosting account? like cloudfare?

if so, that could be causing a delay on your changes showing up.

or, ask facebook. since the code is there, and it works on a different page, then maybe there is something wrong with using the same code on a different page or something.

sorry, really have no idea how or why anything related to facebook works etc.

luck,
robert
It's possible as this is a new host for me but then this was updated yesterday so it should be there by now even if delayed!

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”