how to retain customized template during upgrade?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
huggle

how to retain customized template during upgrade?

Post by huggle » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:47 am

Note to Mods: my appologies if this has already been asked - I did search the forum and found nothing relating to this problem.

I am atm upgrading several phpBB 3.2.2 to 3.2.5. They all have heavily customized prosilver-templates.
I had hoped that this particular bit of file editing would also get detected by the automatic update package and merged into the new files like other edits do. However, this is not the case. With my test board, the customized prosilver got overwritten with the standard version.

Naturally, I'd like to rescue my other customized templates before upgrading their respective boards. Hence my question:
  • Is there a way of exporting my prosilver-spinoffs? Ideally from the ACP panel? With phpBB 2.x it used to be possible to export customized templates under a new name.
  • or can you recommend another method of retaining the alterations during the upgrade?
For me as a layperson it looks atm like my only chance is to download the files from the server, edit them manually and then reinstall the upgraded template under a different name into the board. Being both lazy and careful, I'd like a quicker and much less error-prone alternative, if one is available.
if you make it idiot-proof
someone will upgrade the idiot

janus_zonstraal

Re: how to retain customized template during upgrade?

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:35 am

They all have heavily customized prosilver-templates.
Better to make your own style.
I had hoped that this particular bit of file editing would also get detected by the automatic update package and merged into the new files like other edits do. However, this is not the case. With my test board, the customized prosilver got overwritten with the standard version.
Did you use the file change method?
With the automatic update package the old files are merge with the new ones.
Is there a way of exporting my prosilver-spinoffs? Ideally from the ACP panel? With phpBB 2.x it used to be possible to export customized templates under a new name.
rename the prosilver style folder,
open the style.cfg and rename the "style name"
upload prosilver again (fresh package)
install your own style in ACP.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

huggle

Post by huggle » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks for the swift reply and the detailed info!
janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:35 am
Better to make your own style.
Did you use the file change method?
yes to both.
rename the prosilver style folder,
open the style.cfg and rename the "style name"
upload prosilver again (fresh package)
install your own style in ACP.
And there arises a new problem:
I did that on several of my boards previousely and just now upgraded one of these. The custom made files have been retained (YAY!) but the freshly upgraded board's ACP is unable to find them (not so yay). The ACP claims that there is only the standard template when there are actually 4.
Could this be caused by the templates not being virgin but having previously been installed (in other words: did the installation change parts of the files which I must manually reset now so that the board can recognize them as new?)

Sorry for sounding like an idiot but I'm a bit of an oldtimer - learned programming back in the BASIC days - and nowadays IT languages change faster than I can catch up. My organic DB (aka brain) could do with an upgrade, too :mrgreen:

(off-topic: your English is not bat at all ;) In elk geval beter dan mijn Nederlands assuming your nationality from your username :mrgreen: )

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:16 pm

the older templates may be to old for the current version to use. if they were phpbb 3.0.x styles then 3.2.5 can not see them at all.

so, you need to upgrade your custom styles.

start with prosilver standard. rename as above, then go here to find out the file changes since your version.
https://area51.phpbb.com/code-changes/3.2.0/
if you are upgrading from 3.0 styles then you will just have to start over since the code is way different between 3.0 styles and 3.2 styles.
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

huggle

Post by huggle » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 am

^please re-read the first post in this topic.
The boards - and naturally that includes the templates - are version 3.2.2
Moreover, the custom templates are clones of the standard (3.2.2) prosilver template.

============================================================================
Once again, for those who start reading topics at the end here's the problem in a nutshell:

A phpBB 3.2.2 has been upgraded to 3.2.5 by the automatic update package. Said board has a the standard prosilver template and three customized templates that are based on the 3.2.2. prosilver and had been saved under individual names each in their own folder - in effect they are templates in their own right and have been running smoothly on 3.2.2

The automatic upgrade did its duty but now the board's ACP recognizes only the standard prosilver template and claims there are no other templates nor any templates to install - while there are actually those 3 others which have previousely been installed and running.

Questions:
  • what causes the board to not recognize the old templates anymore?
  • How can I fix that and reinstall the old templates (after having manually upgraded them to 3.2.5) ?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:12 am

huggle wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 am
what causes the board to not recognize the old templates anymore?
The phpbb_version number in the style.cfg of the styles
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:46 am

Is the style.cfg file in place?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

huggle

Post by huggle » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:06 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:12 am
huggle wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 am
what causes the board to not recognize the old templates anymore?
The phpbb_version number in the style.cfg of the styles
canonknipser, you are a genius! That did the trick, indeed. My homemade one had no phpBB version number. I cheated a little by copying the respective line from prosilver and inserting it in the style.cfg - worked like a dream =) The banner and buttons on one template got lost (different command and file structure in phpBB 3.2.5 compared to 3.2.2, I presume) but that's only a minor problem as the respective commands are still being displayed as clickable text. At least the template is now functionable and my users don't get overly confused by a completely unfamiliar look of the board.

You bought me the time I need to rewrite the template completely, according to genuine (as opposed to my faked) phpBB 3.2.5 standards.
Thank you!!

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”