Custom Topic Icons in Topic Lists

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Re: Custom Topic Icons in Topic Lists

Post by Mannix_ »

EA117 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:52 pm I would expect that "Styles Support & Discussion" is the correct place for what's wanted. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think "an extension" is what's required in order to achieve what OP wants here. It's the style deciding how to render this information; not something that phpBB itself put together and gave the style "no choice" in changing.

Maybe this is even just a tweak to how the "overlay" is performed, and just make the overlaid custom icon "bigger" and "as large as the icon behind it", even if the icon behind it is technically still there.
I'm not saying it's not impossible to achieve what op want with just style edit (I can probably make it work) but extension is better solution because you won't have to apply the changes every time there is an update and 3.2.6 is just around the corner.
But there is clearly something wrong with op installation or something another extension maybe that causes the custom topic icons not to show up at all while the core topic icons are working fine. We don't have that problem so general support seems to be a better choice to ask for help with this issue.
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Mannix_ wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:48 am ...but extension is better solution because you won't have to apply the changes every time there is an update and 3.2.6 is just around the corner.
That's definitely a fair point and something that I didn't acknowledge, Mannix.

Although whenever we've revealed why their system doesn't seem to be showing the custom icon "overlay" for any style right now -- if and when this solution comes down to style template and/or CSS changes, and regardless of whether a style will make those changes or an extension will make those changes -- we definitely should still be able to implement this in a way which doesn't get dislodged during phpBB updates.

Not only because a third-party style is already in use anyway (the template and css are already separate from what phpBB will overwrite), but these minimal changes can be made in a stub style which then inherits from the phpBB-delivered proSilver, rather than modifying proSilver itself.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

EA117 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:48 pm
Mannix_ wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:48 am ...but extension is better solution because you won't have to apply the changes every time there is an update and 3.2.6 is just around the corner.
That's definitely a fair point and something that I didn't acknowledge, Mannix.

Although whenever we've revealed why their system doesn't seem to be showing the custom icon "overlay" for any style right now -- if and when this solution comes down to style template and/or CSS changes, and regardless of whether a style will make those changes or an extension will make those changes -- we definitely should still be able to implement this in a way which doesn't get dislodged during phpBB updates.

Not only because a third-party style is already in use anyway (the template and css are already separate from what phpBB will overwrite), but these minimal changes can be made in a stub style which then inherits from the phpBB-delivered proSilver, rather than modifying proSilver itself.
All the third-party styles that are based on prosilver and more then 90% of the are need to be updated with the same changes as prosilver. Most of the styles inherit the files from prosilver so style makers need to apply the changes to the files that aren't gettin inherited from prosilver for example most commonly is overall_header.html file etc. So even if you make a child style of the Purplexion the files that were changed would need to be updated to the latest version as well and that's why doing changes with extension is the better way. Btw I already manage to accomplish what op wants by just moving one line of code but to fully implement the solution you need to modify 7 files where topic icons appear so it's applied across the whole board.

The problem with the custom icons not showing up is related to the op installation as our work fine so it's not style related issue it's a bigger issue that can't be solved with editing the style files.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Fair enough. And agreed the solution to why the overlays aren't working at all isn't something that will be solved in a style or extension. By "the solution" I was actually referring to making the custom topic icons as large as OP wanted them, but I Englished my paragraph poorly.
Nachtschade
Name: Marcel

Post by Nachtschade »

EA117 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 pm Maybe F12 the display and see if the post icon is actually there when viewing the thread list. It will be an inline style set on the <dt> for the row. (e.g. "<dt style="background-image: url(./images/icons/misc/tick.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;" title="No unread posts">", for when posts are marked as solved here on phpbb.com/community.) Maybe the icon is there as proSilver and Purplexion intend, but it's being overridden or hidden by something else.
Can you help out a little more here? In F12, what tab do I need to search in for the icon?
..vaak rankend of klimmend..
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Nachtschade wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 pm Can you help out a little more here? In F12, what tab do I need to search in for the icon?
Inspecting the row that displays the generic icon -- and checking the status of it's background-image property on the <dt> element of that row -- is the first and primary thing I would be looking at. Since if it doesn't even have a background-image property, then apparently the viewforum_body.html template never even entered it's "IF topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG and S_TOPIC_ICONS" case; i.e. doesn't even think that a custom icon is set for that top post.

If background-image is missing for the viewforum row with a custom icon, the question then becomes "why doesn't the template on your server perform the "IF topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG and S_TOPIC_ICONS" actions"? Or, if your viewforum_body.html template does still contain that logic, then the question becomes "why doesn't phpBB's viewforum.php on your server arrive at the conclusion that S_TOPIC_ICONS and topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG should be set for this row?"

Versus, if your inspection is seeing that the background-image property actually is there on the row, in which case then we need to look around and see if there is simply some other element covering it up, whether something is simply set to "display:none" to hide this row element in favor of something else, etc. There is no "one thing" to recommend looking for in that case, and you're just looking for HTML or CSS reasons why the background-image display isn't ultimately visible.

Circled in red within the attached screen shot is Chrome's F12 inspection of where the Purplexion demo has set "mrgreen.gif" as the background-image, to create the display of the custom icon even in the viewforum row:

inspect.png
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

a link to your board would be helpful :)
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

I asked him the same about another issue: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2505376&start=135#p15242661
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

canonknipser wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 pm I asked him the same about another issue: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2505376&start=135#p15242661
Thanks for the heads-up I think that other issue is causing problems here :lol: :D
Last edited by Mannix_ on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

canonknipser wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 pm I asked him the same about another issue: viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2505376&start=135#p15242661
It's already in the error messages there, and is why I've been assuming we're still talking about http://funeralpolka.nl/.

But yeah, if this issue isn't something they're already able to figure out on their own and they want to invite further help, we would still need at least a test account, since the board isn't public access.
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

EA117 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:09 pm
Nachtschade wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 pm Can you help out a little more here? In F12, what tab do I need to search in for the icon?
Inspecting the row that displays the generic icon -- and checking the status of it's background-image property on the <dt> element of that row -- is the first and primary thing I would be looking at. Since if it doesn't even have a background-image property, then apparently the viewforum_body.html template never even entered it's "IF topicrow.TOPIC_ICON_IMG and S_TOPIC_ICONS" case; i.e. doesn't even think that a custom icon is set for that top post.
I'm sorry. I just haven't used this before really. I found the elements tab but I'm not sure how to navigate to the same place as in your screenshot to see what it looks like here. Is there someway to search in the code or how do I do that?

edit: okay figured it out. right-click -> inspect.

It's empty here:

edit2:

When I open the topic and the icon appears it looks like this:

Last edited by Nachtschade on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

Mannix_ wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:09 pm a link to your board would be helpful :)
My board is private. It's a closed forum for friends only. I could essentially make an account that has only access to a test subforum if nothing else but I also prefer to learn and do it myself.
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

Mannix_ wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:29 pm
Thanks for the heads-up I think that other issue is causing problems here :lol: :D
You think the php version is the issue?
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Nachtschade wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:58 pm Is there someway to search in the code or how do I do that?
To get the display shown in the screen shot, I clicked on the "blue arrow pointing into a box" (inspect) button at the top middle of the page, and then pointed to the row where the custom icon was being shown. The other windows then displayed the HTML and CSS context of that element I had clicked on to inspect, and is why it displays the <dt> element and the background-image property contained on it.

There are probably better and more detailed resources for "how to use the developer view." If you learn it based on what I'm telling you, sooner or later you're going to demand a full refund once you learn there is a much smarter way to do it... 😜
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

EA117 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 pm
Nachtschade wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:58 pm Is there someway to search in the code or how do I do that?
To get the display shown in the screen shot, I clicked on the "blue arrow pointing into a box" (inspect) button at the top middle of the page, and then pointed to the row where the custom icon was being shown. The other windows then displayed the HTML and CSS context of that element I had clicked on to inspect, and is why it displays the <dt> element and the background-image property contained on it.

There are probably better and more detailed resources for "how to use the developer view." If you learn it based on what I'm telling you, sooner or later you're going to demand a full refund once you learn there is a much smarter way to do it... 😜
Yeah, check my edit. I figured it out. ;)

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”