Custom Topic Icons in Topic Lists

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
Nachtschade
Name: Marcel

Re: Custom Topic Icons in Topic Lists

Post by Nachtschade »

EA117 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:33 pm
Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:07 pm I'm not sure what you mean. I don't see a custom topic icon in your screenshot.
It's there; it's the small "blob" down in the bottom-left of the icon being shown in his screen shot.
Mannix_ wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 am I just tested it and it works as intended
Agreed that's the intended & default behavior, and what I see on our board too. When viewing the actual post itself, you see "nothing but the custom icon", similar to this:

post.png

But then when viewing the list of threads in any given forum, for that same thread what you're going to see is this custom icon "overlaid" onto a larger generic icon, which also shows the read/unread status of the thread, similar to this:

default.png

I believe what OP is asking for here is to see primarily the custom icon, even when looking at the list of threads within a forum. Something more similar to:

custom.png

So it's not "replace the image being used by your style", because that's a single image used for all posts. It's "how to get the custom icon already set for the top post in a thread to be used even when displaying the list of forum threads." Which is going to be a different icon for each post, depending on which custom icon was selected.
Yes, exactly. And I know for a fact that this is/was possible since I've had it that way for many years on my old forum. That forum was 3.0.9 though and I'm on 3.2.5 now.
..vaak rankend of klimmend..
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:37 pm Yeah, same thing:
Well then it's general issue not style related I would suggest to ask here viewforum.php?f=556 for help.
Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:40 pm Yes, exactly. And I know for a fact that this is/was possible since I've had it that way for many years on my old forum. That forum was 3.0.9 though and I'm on 3.2.5 now.
This sound like a job for an extension. Put your request here viewforum.php?f=496 someone may be will to help you.
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:47 pm
Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:37 pm Yeah, same thing:
Well then it's general issue not style related I would suggest to ask here viewforum.php?f=556 for help.
Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:40 pm Yes, exactly. And I know for a fact that this is/was possible since I've had it that way for many years on my old forum. That forum was 3.0.9 though and I'm on 3.2.5 now.
This sound like a job for an extension. Put your request here viewforum.php?f=496 someone may be will to help you.
I did ask it there, but someone moved my topic here. I'm not sure why.

I don't know if an extension is necessary since it was possible without an extension on my old forum so it seems to me that figuring out if it's still possible or, if not, why it isn't possible anymore would be a first concern.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:53 pm
I don't know if an extension is necessary since it was possible without an extension on my old forum so it seems to me that figuring out if it's still possible or, if not, why it isn't possible anymore would be a first concern.
Back in 3.0.x there was no extensions everything was hard coded into the core files now extensions are made to avoid that for the easy of future upgrade etc.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:01 pm
Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:53 pm
Back in 3.0.x there was no extensions everything was hard coded into the core files now extensions are made to avoid that for the easy of future upgrade etc.
Yes, but back then there were mods instead of extensions and it also wasn't done by a mod. At least, I'm pretty sure of that. I've always thought that it was either by default or possibly some setting somewhere.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:04 pm
Yes, but back then there were mods instead of extensions and it also wasn't done by a mod. At least, I'm pretty sure of that. I've always thought that it was either by default or possibly some setting somewhere.
I don't know, it doesn't seem to be a out of the box feature so it possibly was a mod. If it would be in the core I don't see a reason for it being removed in future versions 3.1 and 3.2 that is
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:09 pm
Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:04 pm
I don't know, it doesn't seem to be a out of the box feature so it possibly was a mod. If it would be in the core I don't see a reason for it being removed in future versions 3.1 and 3.2 that is
Pretty sure it wasn't as it was a free forum on a host not administrated by myself and I could not install mods so it would have been a mod that was pre-installed by the host, which is technically possible but very unlikely.

edit: it's maybe possible that it was a 'feature' of the style that I was using. The style was called Violaceous.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:13 pm The style was called Violaceous.
This one https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/violaceous_2/ ???
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

Yeah, that's the one.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:24 pm Yeah, that's the one.
Out of the box you get something like this
2019-04-28 19.25.32 localhost 9d89911f8e00.png
2019-04-28 19.25.32 localhost 9d89911f8e00.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 611 times
and I don't see any config files in the the style files to to achieve what you want so it probably wasn't the style. If you weren't the owner of the forum it's obvious you had no control over the mods that were installed on that forum.
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:31 pm
Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:24 pm Yeah, that's the one.
Out of the box you get something like this
2019-04-28 19.25.32 localhost 9d89911f8e00.png
and I don't see any config files in the the style files to to achieve what you want so it probably wasn't the style. If you weren't the owner of the forum it's obvious you had no control over the mods that were installed on that forum.
And as far as I'm aware there weren't any mods installed aside from stuff concerning spammers.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 pm And as far as I'm aware there weren't any mods installed aside from stuff concerning spammers.
If you say so. To end this debate all i'm gonna say is that you should ask for extension to achieve what you want as it's the best and prefered solution. 😀
EA117

Post by EA117 »

I would expect that "Styles Support & Discussion" is the correct place for what's wanted. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think "an extension" is what's required in order to achieve what OP wants here. It's the style deciding how to render this information; not something that phpBB itself put together and gave the style "no choice" in changing.

Maybe this is even just a tweak to how the "overlay" is performed, and just make the overlaid custom icon "bigger" and "as large as the icon behind it", even if the icon behind it is technically still there.
Nachtschade

Post by Nachtschade »

EA117 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:52 pmMaybe this is even just a tweak to how the "overlay" is performed, and just make the overlaid custom icon "bigger" and "as large as the icon behind it", even if the icon behind it is technically still there.
That's an interesting thought, but that blob you mentioned earlier is also not showing up for me.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Nachtschade wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:55 pm That's an interesting thought, but that blob you mentioned earlier is also not showing up for me.
Yeah, I noticed that in your earlier post too, and didn't have an explanation for that, at least once you tested proSilver and showed the same result. Looking at proSilver, whether or not it will include the post icon appears contingent only upon whether an icon is set, and then also whether "Enable topic icons:" is enabled in the per-forum settings. (But you wouldn't have been able to set an icon without having that enabled.)

For what it's worth, the placement and size of the post icon is being controlled in proSilver with the path dl.row-item dt in /styles/prosilver/theme/content.css. It is simply displaying at this size "in front" of the FontAwesome icon that is otherwise being shown to reflect forum read, moved, etc., status.

For Purplexion, the demo shows (and source code inspection appears to confirm) that it would handle the top post's icon in the same way as proSilver:

purplexion.png

Maybe F12 the display and see if the post icon is actually there when viewing the thread list. It will be an inline style set on the <dt> for the row. (e.g. "<dt style="background-image: url(./images/icons/misc/tick.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;" title="No unread posts">", for when posts are marked as solved here on phpbb.com/community.) Maybe the icon is there as proSilver and Purplexion intend, but it's being overridden or hidden by something else.

If it still doesn't seem clear, maybe provide a test user login that has proSilver set and someone can look at your board directly.

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”