Cursive font

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
John connor
Name: Aaron

Re: Cursive font

Post by John connor » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Bingo! With the help of EA117's Google font code and some intuitiveness, I was able to add the Satisfy font to my drop down.

uyjkuk.jpg
uyjkuk.jpg (35.07 KiB) Viewed 7106 times

Hovering over all fonts says comic sans for some reason.

Behold the finished product. https://cyberpcforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1687#p1687

Now to add more fonts.

Question: Is it possible to change the font of a topic title?

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:38 pm

John connor wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:31 pm
Question: Is it possible to change the font of a topic title?
You can change the font of anyt5hing that you want - just adapt the css for that element.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

John connor

Post by John connor » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:38 pm

I have no idea how that works or is done.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:38 pm

John connor wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am
Can I just get the code to add to overall_header.html for cursive because that's what the font is called in the drop down box.
Hmmm.... I was not aware of the font list drop-down. That drop-down doesn't appear for me when I install ABBCB 3.2.2. I just saw and used the [font] BBCode that was created when installing ABBCB, and thought that's what you were doing too.

I see VSE's answer to you in the support area, but that does seem more unusual to me now that "Cursive" is being presented in that list (knowing what "Cursive" as a CSS font-family means), but "Serif", "Sans-Serif" and other generic CSS family names aren't being listed too. I'm thinking whomever wrote that font drop-down intended something different than "use the CSS default for this generic font-family."

Is that font list actually a feature of a replacement editor you have separately installed, or am I missing something about ABBCB configuration to make it appear?

John connor

Post by John connor » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:01 pm

As I said, I got this to work now. The extension is here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... bcode_box/

Look at the Pic.

The code is in: abbc3/styles/all/template/abbc3_posting_buttons.html

You must have the wrong extension.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 pm

John connor wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:01 pm
Look at the Pic.
Oh, duh ...yeah, I had applied a couple layers of dumb. I was only looking down in the "Screenshots" section, and wasn't seeing the confirmation. And because I could see the BBCodes that ABBC3 had created, I thought it was enabled. But it was installed and not enabled.

Yeah, looks like they did put three of the generic CSS font families in that list: "cursive", "fantasy" and "monospace". Without intending to ever specify more than that in the actual font-family property. So it really was just left to "whatever the particular browser and platform wants to decide in its CSS implementation."

I recognized that you had already addressed your need by adding the new font to the list; I was just trying to evaluate whether maybe there was any additional intention ABBC3 might have had beyond "let CSS choose whatever it wants for cursive." Which just seemed possible, given that the font list seemed to include so many other explicit font names. But it turns out no, there was not any other intention.

John connor

Post by John connor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 am

Would you happen to know how to change the font of a topic title by chance? Is it overly involved and core editing?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 am

John connor wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 am
Would you happen to know how to change the font of a topic title by chance? Is it overly involved and core editing?
I presume you mean "per topic" and "optionally, on demand." I believe David is referring to the fact that you could make all topic titles "look however you want by adjusting the CSS", so long as "what you want" is for all of the topic titles to still look exactly the same as each other. Which I don't believe was your intention.

I'm not aware of a quick or easy way to do that. Saying "just support BBCodes in the subject line" would solve the question and give a lot of flexibility besides just font and color. But I'm guessing "support BBCode in topic titles" probably has many hurdles. But I don't really know, and someone with a better handle on what the implications of saying "topic titles now need to be parsed" would have to give you that answer.

I do see where DavidIQ made https://github.com/DavidIQ/topictitlecolor, which gives a non-BBCode-related way to set a topic title color. That he chose to do it this way rather than enabling the existing [color] BBCode is probably another hint that the BBCode approach isn't easily supportable in the topic title.

If I really needed to "hack it in there", I would probably hack up my template to react to a specific "custom topic icon" being applied to the post. And when that custom icon was selected, the topic title display would also be overridden to name a unique class that allowed you to style the font of how these specific topic titles would be displayed. i.e. Your style templates would have to be customized, and your style CSS would have to be customized, and then you would use the existing topic custom icon selection to specify which post(s) you wanted the alternate topic title font used on.

But I think that probably still falls into the "overly involved" category you mentioned, even though it doesn't technically require any core editing.

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am

John connor wrote:
https://phpbbstudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36
Attachments
TCS-1.png
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

John connor

Post by John connor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:36 pm

EA117 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 am
John connor wrote:
I presume you mean "per topic" and "optionally, on demand." I believe David is referring to the fact that you could make all topic titles "look however you want by adjusting the CSS", so long as "what you want" is for all of the topic titles to still look exactly the same as each other. Which I don't believe was your intention.

I'm not aware of a quick or easy way to do that. Saying "just support BBCodes in the subject line" would solve the question and give a lot of flexibility besides just font and color. But I'm guessing "support BBCode in topic titles" probably has many hurdles. But I don't really know, and someone with a better handle on what the implications of saying "topic titles now need to be parsed" would have to give you that answer.

I do see where DavidIQ made https://github.com/DavidIQ/topictitlecolor, which gives a non-BBCode-related way to set a topic title color. That he chose to do it this way rather than enabling the existing [color] BBCode is probably another hint that the BBCode approach isn't easily supportable in the topic title.

If I really needed to "hack it in there", I would probably hack up my template to react to a specific "custom topic icon" being applied to the post. And when that custom icon was selected, the topic title display would also be overridden to name a unique class that allowed you to style the font of how these specific topic titles would be displayed. i.e. Your style templates would have to be customized, and your style CSS would have to be customized, and then you would use the existing topic custom icon selection to specify which post(s) you wanted the alternate topic title font used on.

But I think that probably still falls into the "overly involved" category you mentioned, even though it doesn't technically require any core editing.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I want is the ability to pick and chose a font for a topic title. If it doesn't really require core edits perhaps I could in fact do this the way you described.

3Di wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 am
John connor wrote:
https://phpbbstudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36
Looks interesting. I have downloaded it and will test it on my test board.

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”