phpBB dropdown menu bug

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
Shredder

phpBB dropdown menu bug

Post by Shredder » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm

There is a bug with positioning of phpbb dropdown menu after change screen size "on fly" or resize. For example, flip of mobile screen
See video below for details
https://youtu.be/fZF1OxeeEwQ

phpBB version: 3.2.7
style: prosilver (default)
Affected browsers: All browsers

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: phpBB dropdown menu bug

Post by david63 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:27 pm

If you believe that you have found a bug then the correct place to post it is in the Bug Tracker - although I am not sure how many actually change the screen size "on the fly" in the real world.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:47 pm

david63 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:27 pm
although I am not sure how many actually change the screen size "on the fly" in the real world.
Just by accident :lol:

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:59 pm

The video is showing simulation of rotating your phone from portrait to landscape or vice-versa. Something phone and tablet users will do without even thinking about it, simply to get the vertical or horizontal real estate that allows best display of whatever they're viewing at that moment.

I see the issue you're talking about Shredder, and it happens for me (on an actual phone, Android & Chrome) in phpBB 3.2.7, too. I agree with David, it probably just needs a bug entered in the tracker, because I don't think there is any configuration or support issue to really work through. If you don't have a Tracker account already and/or don't want one, just say so and someone else can enter it for you.

For what it's worth, my guess is this is probably in the JQuery-based dropdown handler code in /assets/javascript/core.js, as opposed to an issue in the responsive CSS sheets or similar. The behavior to me appears to be that "once the drop-down has been displayed", the drop-down is always displayed at that position even though the screen size may have changed since the last display. i.e. The JavaScript is remembering position, rather than recalculating position, and those coordinates don't make sense after the orientation has flipped.

Meaning although your example was going from horizontal to vertical orientation and I see the issue there; I also see the same "wrong position" issue when going from vertical to horizontal orientation, too. It's just a matter of "which orientation were you in when the drop-down was first displayed", versus "what orientation are you in now." If it's not still the same, the "remembered" position of the drop-down menu will be wrong.

Shredder

Post by Shredder » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks, EA117!

I posted it in the bugtracker
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16125

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”