Spacing after quotes (returns in editor)

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
Aleksandar

Spacing after quotes (returns in editor)

Post by Aleksandar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if this is a style issue or a forum issue so mods, feel free to move.

We just installed a new style and it seems that when quoting another post in a reply, the default for the cursor in the editor is one line break, which results in no spacing between the reply text and the quote above, as shown below:
Clipboard01.jpg
In essence, it appears to take two hard returns in the editor to create one return in the actual post. Many users have said this makes it hard to read, so is there some way to increase the spacing so that one return in the editor equals one return in the post?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Spacing after quotes (returns in editor)

Post by stevemaury » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 pm

You need to take this up with the style author. That is not the default behavior with prosilver.
Aleksandar wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm
I'm not sure if this is a style issue or a forum issue so mods, feel free to move.

We just installed a new style and it seems that when quoting another post in a reply, the default for the cursor in the editor is one line break, which results in no spacing between the reply text and the quote above, as shown below:

In essence, it appears to take two hard returns in the editor to create one return in the actual post. Many users have said this makes it hard to read, so is there some way to increase the spacing so that one return in the editor equals one return in the post?
One return
Aleksandar wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Two returns
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Aleksandar

Post by Aleksandar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Unfortunately the author has been unresponsive for almost a month now. Do you happen to have any suggestions what files to look at? I don't mind making the attempt but I have no idea where to begin to look.
Last edited by Mick on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Aleksandar wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:54 pm
Unfortunately the author has been unresponsive for almost a month now. Do you happen to have any suggestions what files to look at? I don't mind making the attempt but I have no idea where to begin to look.
Which style is it? Or can you provide a link to a public post containing a quote on your board, if possible.

Agreed that the issue you're describing with [quote] appears to be behavior of the style shown in that screen shot. proSilver assigns a 1em top and bottom margin to <blockquote>, which gives you a blank line above and below the quote whether the message author explicitly tries to create that space or not. But whatever style is shown in that screen shot apparently did not assign this extra space around <blockquote>, and likely must be adjusted in the style's CSS.

On a related topic, note Steve's post also happens to be demonstrating/confirming that [quote] is still subject to the issue we normally see discussed in relation to inline attachment displays or lists. Since the space around the quote was exactly the same in both the "One return" and "Two returns" examples, regardless of the extra line which Steve had added.

That issue is the fact that the blank line immediately adjacent to these tags apparently gets "eaten", and you have to create two or more blank lines in the message in order to see one or more blank lines in the display.

For inline attachments, there was a post here which talked about adjusting the CSS of the style to account for this by adding a 1em margin. This is potentially just addressing the symptom rather than the cause; but I haven't seen any definitive declaration of "the parser is eating the two surrounding blank lines intentionally" or not. So no idea if that parser behavior will ever actually change.

But what we're saying & what Steve is confirming is that for proSilver, essentially "the workaround for [quote] is already part of the proSilver style." Because for [quote] proSilver actually has a 1em margin assigned, which makes this parsing behavior less noticeable, at least for quotes. For the other elements like inline attachments, this 1em space hasn't already been created by proSilver. And so you either have to modify the style's CSS, or manually create additional space in the message itself when desired.

Aleksandar

Post by Aleksandar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! Using your advice I modified our style's CSS and things look much better now. Really appreciate the help!
Last edited by Mick on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quoting

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”