Is it possible to change the placement of quick links?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
Senel

Is it possible to change the placement of quick links?

Post by Senel »

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Is it possible to change the placement of quick links?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the answer to your question is yes. however, that style does not even have the quick links drop down so I am not sure exactly what you want.

what style are you using or wanting to use? what exactly do you want to do with the quick links drop down etc. ?

if you like how we universal handles those links, why not just use we universal?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Senel

Post by Senel »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm
the answer to your question is yes. however, that style does not even have the quick links drop down so I am not sure exactly what you want.

what style are you using or wanting to use? what exactly do you want to do with the quick links drop down etc. ?

if you like how we universal handles those links, why not just use we universal?

robert

Did I do something stupid like ask a thing? My question is very simple!

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Senel wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm
Your question was : Is it possible to change the placement of quick links? and you added : as on this theme
The answer given is YES and as such the answer is correct. Lumpy gave you extra information pointing out that the style you are referring to doesn't have the dropdown implying that it may not be just a simple matter of moving things around. Lumpy's concern is that you didn't supply the complete information necessary to know exactly what has to be done (an image showing precisely what you want (cut and paste) or a complete description would be helpful. (which a bitchy response is not).
We should embrace problems, without which there wouldn't be any solutions.

Senel

Post by Senel »

But Lumpy understood the question and answered YES. Otherwise he would not have answered with a long answer. The theme I'm linking to, do you see how unanswared, view active topic looks on that theme? Not like ordinary prosilver. I ask if you can do the same on prosilver.

Senel

Post by Senel »

Ok, don't change location on quick links, but do as we universal. Then we avoid more misunderstanding.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Sure you can do it. It would make more sense as a child style though, rather than directly hacking Prosilver. It's a good idea to keep the default style unhacked, just in case something goes wrong with a custom one and you need a working fallback.

Lumpy Burgertushie

if you would just answer the questions when asked, you would get much better help.

we universal does not have an quick links.

It has some of the links that are in the "quick links" dropdown but they are not "quick links when they are outside of the drop down.

anyway, what style are you wanting to do this with?
my answer of "yes" is because basically , anything is possible by editing the relevant code.
however, unless we know exactly what you want to do and exactly where you want to do it etc. etc., we can not give you any good information about how to do it. only "yes" you can do it.

robert

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Senel has already said they want to do it on Prosilver. ;)
Senel wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm
The theme I'm linking to, do you see how unanswared, view active topic looks on that theme? Not like ordinary prosilver. I ask if you can do the same on prosilver.
If the idea is to make the arrangement exactly the same as on WE_Universal (except that styling would presumably be changed to match Prosilver) then the best option would be:

1/ Make a child style of Prosilver, that inherits as much as possible.
2/ Grab navbar_header.html and drop a copy into the child style.
3/ Hack way until it looks the way you want it (basically, a case of changing classes on the ul's and splitting content as required).

To facilitate 3/ I'd be inclined to drop a call for a custom.css into a copy of Prosilver's overall_header.html. That should make sorting things out a bit easier.

Or you could take a look at WE's coding, which includes a new HTML file (navbar_responsive_header.html) and would have an include to match. But from memory WE uses absolute positioning for all its buttons, so it should be possible to do it without an extra file. Would need a bit of fancy CSS to hold it together, but shouldn't be too difficult.

Lumpy Burgertushie

sorry, I missed that part.

robert

Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Lately, people have just been asking things they can't see through.
You are asked if you can move quicklinks to the right, you can still go with them.
But at the same time the style we_universal is linked, which has no quicklinks at all (as in this style...).
In other topics, you only notice after hours of work that they want something that doesn't work that way and so on...

Under quicklinks right I understand something like this:
dropdown right.png
And if you make it clear that the linked style has no quicklinks at all (you don't know, it's really the quicklinks or only the menu links like in we_universal), you're still fooled.
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Well it still does have "quick links". They are even quicker than default, because you don't have to open a drop menu to get to the links*. So if you want to be fussy about terminology you could call WE's presentation "super quick links", but it's still the same content as the default drop menu. It's just arranged differently.

*I have been thinking about pulling some of them out of the drop menu myself. I tend to use the "Unread posts" more frequently than any of the other links, so having it hidden in a drop menu is not optimal from my point of view. It would make more sense to have it an as an exposed link in the nav bar (and obviously I can shunt other content around to work with this change).

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO »

Contrary to the statements above, We Universal actually does have quick links - when you use it on a mobile device, the links for unanswered posts etc move to a quick links menu in the nav bar.

Allan Style SubSilver has both the quick links menu and individual links for "active topics", "unanswered posts", "unread posts", "new posts" and "your posts". The OP may wish to study that style to see how it is done and make the changes through a child style to prosilver. My board uses this style so you can see it in action there.
phpBB user since 2002
www.AusRotary.com

Senel

Post by Senel »

Gumboots wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:46 am
Senel has already said they want to do it on Prosilver. ;)
Senel wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm
The theme I'm linking to, do you see how unanswared, view active topic looks on that theme? Not like ordinary prosilver. I ask if you can do the same on prosilver.
If the idea is to make the arrangement exactly the same as on WE_Universal (except that styling would presumably be changed to match Prosilver) then the best option would be:

1/ Make a child style of Prosilver, that inherits as much as possible.
2/ Grab navbar_header.html and drop a copy into the child style.
3/ Hack way until it looks the way you want it (basically, a case of changing classes on the ul's and splitting content as required).

To facilitate 3/ I'd be inclined to drop a call for a custom.css into a copy of Prosilver's overall_header.html. That should make sorting things out a bit easier.

Or you could take a look at WE's coding, which includes a new HTML file (navbar_responsive_header.html) and would have an include to match. But from memory WE uses absolute positioning for all its buttons, so it should be possible to do it without an extra file. Would need a bit of fancy CSS to hold it together, but shouldn't be too difficult.
I do not explain myself clearly enough but if we remove quick links and just think about the style I linked to. That's what I mean if it was possible. Then comes a gaping throat and says everything is possible if you can code, if I could code I wouldn't be here and ask. There are so strange people here that you don't want to write here.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Ok, so when you ask "Is it possible?" what you really mean is "I want somebody to do it for me". You're not after guidance, but after someone to do a custom job for you. Which is fine, but it's better to say so.

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”