Why does PHPBB double-underline links?

For support and discussion related to templates, themes, and imagesets in phpBB 3.2.
warpspeed9

Post by warpspeed9 »

Thank you.
If you are in the U.S. or some parts of Canada and were a victim of a car accident, your car lost substantial market value (even after repairs) and the insurance companies must make you whole for it. Learn more about diminished value claims on my forum.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Why does PHPBB double-underline links?

Post by warmweer »

warpspeed9 wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:24 pm
Does it?

www.phpbb.com
https://www.phpbb.com
phpBB main site
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2572986
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
Random American

Post by Random American »

Where did you see a double underline?
I'm just a regular member of the phpBB Community. I do NOT represent phpBB.com in any capacity and my opinions are solely my own.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

warmweer wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:42 pm
Does it?
Indeed. The :focus state is underlined twice in a default prosilver / prosilver SE style: https://gyazo.com/6c0a1f6c593ad570b2c5ca5fdd298298 . This is most commonly replicated by right-clicking on a link and opening it in a new tab.

@OP: This occurs because there are two ways to underline links:
  • text-decoration
  • border-bottom
The browser default is to use text-decoration, however prosilver overrides this in links.css & base.css and opts for the border-bottom approach instead. Possibly / probably because this gives the style author full control over how close the underline sits to the link anchor text (through line-height or padding definitions).

It can be remedied quite easily by adding something like this to a stylesheet:

Code: Select all

a:focus {text-decoration: none;}
It's entirely possible that the OP is using a custom style where the base.css and links.css resets have been modified, but I'm willing to bet they are right-clicking to open in new tab :geek:
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Funny, I use right click > open in new tab heavily, and I only just noticed this. It's only on some links though, and it's only when the cursor moves from the link itself to the browser's context menu. That's probably I didn't notice before.

And yes, I've used border-bottom before precisely because it gives you more control. Underline cuts through the descenders, which looks a tad ugly and tends to make things harder to read. Border-bottom is a cleaner look and more versatile, IMO. Although the catch is you then need a correction so it doesn't apply to linked images.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

PlanetStyles.net wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:37 am
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:42 pm
Does it?
Indeed. The :focus state is underlined twice in a default prosilver / prosilver SE style: https://gyazo.com/6c0a1f6c593ad570b2c5ca5fdd298298 . This is most commonly replicated by right-clicking on a link and opening it in a new tab.
Wow, you're right, I had noticed that a couple of times but it never registered properly.
Thanks for the extra info :thumbsup:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.
warpspeed9

Post by warpspeed9 »

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:37 am
It's entirely possible that the OP is using a custom style where the base.css and links.css resets have been modified, but I'm willing to bet they are right-clicking to open in new tab :geek:
I'm using default and I right-click-open-in-new-tab a lot.
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: unneeded full quote removed
If you are in the U.S. or some parts of Canada and were a victim of a car accident, your car lost substantial market value (even after repairs) and the insurance companies must make you whole for it. Learn more about diminished value claims on my forum.
warpspeed9

Post by warpspeed9 »

To stylesheet.css of prosilver?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unneeded full quote removed
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:12 pm
To stylesheet.css of prosilver?
Yep. I'd recommend the bottom of links.css. You'll need to clear your browser cache after changing the file :)
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:27 pm
Thanks for the extra info
You're welcome :geek:
Gumboots wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:27 am
Underline cuts through the descenders, which looks a tad ugly and tends to make things harder to read. Border-bottom is a cleaner look and more versatile, IMO. Although the catch is you then need a correction so it doesn't apply to linked images.
100%. I also like to experiment with dashed / dotted border styles, helps soften things even further.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:27 am
Underline cuts through the descenders, which looks a tad ugly and tends to make things harder to read.
That reminded me that I had noticed how underline didn't drive over descenders on our phpBB site:

descenders.png

And I had wondered but never researched "who's fault" that was. e.g. The specific font the style happened to select, or something else. Apparently it's dependent on your web browser, when using text-decoration: underline.

It will clearly be a matter of individual taste and opinion, but this is what I consider "the ideal" as opposed to an underline that is even further away from the baseline.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 pm
100%. I also like to experiment with dashed / dotted border styles, helps soften things even further.
Yes those can be good too. Another thing I have tried is an inset box-shadow with 0 blur-radius. Gives the same look as a solid bottom border, but tends to get hidden behind linked images, so doesn't look daggy there as long as the image has a solid background. Can be useful sometimes, although obviously if you're running jQuery it's easy to use that to ditch the border on anchors around images.

It'll be good when we get solid cross-browser support for text-underline-position: under; too. It's supposed to be supported now, but behaviour seems a tad iffy.
EA117 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:31 pm
And I had wondered but never researched "who's fault" that was. e.g. The specific font the style happened to select, or something else. Apparently it's dependent on your web browser, when using text-decoration: underline.

It will clearly be a matter of individual taste and opinion, but this is what I consider "the ideal" as opposed to an underline that is even further away from the baseline.
Yes that's much better behaviour, but Safari and iOS are no use to a lot of people. It really should be the default behaviour in all browsers. I still don't mind a bit more breathing room to the baseline though.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:39 pm
...but Safari and iOS are no use to a lot of people.
Agreed. Although I didn't check how far out of date the information was in the article; only that it was acknowledging the differences and limitations. The screen shot I'm showing there is current Edge/Chrome behavior on Windows, for what it's worth. So undoubtedly it was "Safari and iOS" at some point, but not the limit of where the behavior is available right now.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Ok. I'm on Pale Moon and that still seems to have the old school behaviour. Haven't checked the latest FF. I might mention it next time I'm pestering them at the PM forum. It's a good idea to have it as default.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:12 pm
Please keep in mind that we have a six hour bumping rule. All team members and community members here are volunteers, so we ask you to wait at least six hours before bumping your topic or, if no-one has replied to your last post, edit your last post. Also please use the Quote function only when it is needed to make your reply clear and only quote the parts necessary not the whole post every time. Excessive quoting (especially of long messages and/or multiple images) makes reading the post extremely difficult.

Thank you

Return to β€œ[3.2.x] Styles Support & Discussion”