[4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.3.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Re: [DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

Post by Hanakin »

It’s all scss so that means everything is controlled via variables. Once finished the plan is to develop a companion dynamic styleguide app to be able to customize every aspect easily.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Brief update: I pushed several changes to the repo to get everything working with the proper structure and what not for the new way the theme will function. It's not final there will undoubtedly be some tweaks and changes to everything as we move forward. This makes it easy to build and test thinks locally without the need for PHP or the software being installed. Everything is rendered in the tests folder via the gulp build process ;). Not for building the tests and compiled CSS files, you will need nodejs installed. NOTE: "This is not required for the final release this is just for development builds". The only thing that ships is the all folder everything else is part of the build process. Not everything within the "all" folder is required for a new theme. Also while it is encouraged that you build your styles using SCSS you do not have too.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Ok made several changes to the repo to facilitate contribution.

We are at the stage where we can start mocking up the individual pages. This will help to identify any missing components as well as help to fix/tweak/cleanup existing components. Not all the components have been twig templates created for them yet either so this will facilitate that. If this sounds like something you may wish to help with then, by all means, pick a page and create a github issue and start pushing prs with a link to the issue for it. I am available via pm on here or area51. You can also hop on chat and poke me.

Each page for the software will require a master page. This means we need a twig template for it created in the all/views folder it should extend the master layout. Look at the index.twig file for reference: https://github.com/phpbb/chameleon/blob ... index.twig

All components to include on these pages will be located in the all/views/includes folder unless it's a dynamic component meaning that it is different each place it is loaded. If any of these are required they will be created in the all/views/mixins folder. Lastly, if there is any need for sub-components or a component is made of more than one component, and the smaller components are not used alone. These are to be created in the all/views/partials folder
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

If i get this right, one needs nodejs and gulp + follow instructions above?
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

to help out yes. well just node everything else is installed on npm install
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

I see. Seems like i need to test out this node before saying yes to anything. I'll try it and see how it goes)
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

Which version to install?
node.png
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
🎨 All my styles are updated to 3.3.8 and can be downloaded here
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Either should be fine. LTS is recommended for most users although both should work.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Xakep_SDK

Post by Xakep_SDK »

Should include dark variant too.
That's new trend.
// Offtop: my account just disappeared with previous message. Why?
hd321kbps
Name: Igor Marchuk

Post by hd321kbps »

He offered his ideas on the new style in that topic.
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

hanakin (@ area51) wrote:Editor: (#90) Hanakin
This is really its own project and will require its own very in-depth discussion found here However on the surface it will be a hosted service on .com. It provides the capability to view all the individual theme components and edit there predefined settings as well as edit the SCSS/TWIG code all from the editor. A good starting point might be http://atomicdocs.io/, but it should also allow for scaling to test responsiveness similar to (http://styleguide.devbproto.com/styleguide/#4). It will also allow for the capability to add/delete components for a new theme. All without ever having to leave the editor if you so wish. It will require php/jquery/vuejs/scss/twig/gulpjs/nodejs/its own server.
However on the surface it will be a hosted service on .com.? We will need a permanent connection to .com to use the editor?
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

Yes and no. The editor will be a part of the dev repo, so u can use it locally if you want, but we plan to host a copy. It’s still way too early to provide any details. We have not worked everything out yet. We need the theme first
Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady »

Thank you for your answer.

Because my board is subject to the GDPR, I hope for local installations wherever possible. It is not much appreciated to use undocumented third-party connections without the privacy statements for it. This also applies to style elements, fonts and everything the user comes into contact with. Fonts I can host on my style folder. I hope this will be the case for all elements of the style, too.
My 2 cents: Whether an extension is in the CDB says nothing about its quality. It is more important to read the support topics for it. Better to avoid authors who do not answer support questions themselves, who do not update their stuff, and who do not fix bugs for years.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

I don't think the plan is to have this editor included within phpBB itself to live-edit the style, but as a standalone tool.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin »

David it will be included in the dev side of the repo or at least that is the plan.

Nothing will link it’s judt a tool to repack edits and give you the files to replace the defaults. Unless you set it up locally it will not directly edit your files.

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles in Development”