It's time to look towards the future and begin development on the next version of the phpBB interface. By this, I am referring to a replacement for prosilver and then some. To facilitate this we are asking for your assistance through the design/development process through feedback, testing, or some coding if you so wish.
This will require so much change and overhaul to the platform that we will be releasing it in stages. The first release will be here as alpha/beta/RC releases. The next release will be as a supported theme on here. Finally, we will release a packaged version with phpBB 4.0.0 because of the number of changes there is no backward compatibility at all which means we will have to do a major version number change to phpBB in order to release it. We will also be overhauling the template system to accommodate some necessary changes for this as well.
Below you will find the planned improvements and milestones to get there. I will provide links to everything and updates to this post as we progress towards our goal.
Its also important that you understand that this is not just a change in the design and a simple code refactor. We are overhauling the entire way that themes will work in the next major version in order to streamline both the development of the software and make it easier on the theme designers and end-users to make simple customization. To do this one major change is the use of a build step for the theme. This will require a bit of overhead to setup, but it's fairly simple to do and we will have detailed guides. We realize that this is not something everyone will want to do, so we are also going to be releasing an interactive web tool to streamline this.
There is a lot that will need explaining in detail and to facilitate in relation to all of this, I will be releasing a series of posts on the blog to detail how everything will work. I will link to each article/video as they come out here as well.
Let's get the ball rolling...
Here is an early mockup and static demo STYLE FEATURES:
- Completely new folder structure
- Completely coded from scratch (html, css & js)
- Uses base-l front-end framework
- modular components
- mobile-first adaptive vs responsive design
- flex layout
- endlessly extendable
- 100% scalable codebase
- effortlessly editable and themeable
- material design principles
- modern coding practices
- strict CSS/HTML/JS specific coding practices and contol via linting
- front-end framework development
- write css coding standards
- mobile first Component html/css/js mock-ups (10) started
- RTL refactor (1)
- accessibility refactor (1)
- theme design (1)
- write js coding standards (2) started
- Twig conversion (1 + concurrent with #3) started
- Code refactoring of components (2 + some concurrently with #3) started
- Page mock-ups/themeing tests (4 + concurrent with #3) started
- JS module mock-ups (7 + concurrent with #3) started
- build tool refinement for js (2)
- code refactoring of pages (2)
- code refactoring for js (5)
- phpBB conversion of pages (1)
- Alpha release phase (3)
- Beta release phase (2)
- RC release phase (1)
- phpBB 4.0 packaged release (1)
Current Development progress & examples: https://codepen.io/collection/Drjrjx/
Current Themeing testing front page: https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/gzqMwx?editors=1000
Backend TODO list: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 81&t=61766