[4.0.x][DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.3.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
TJK
Name: Tolaso J Kos

Re: [DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

Post by TJK »

Hi,

to be honest I do not like this new style. It may be modern , yes, but reminds me of subsilver especially the legend. I also agree with @jrolson
jrolson wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:23 pm I feel like it takes up to much space, everything seems large...

And the forum categories feel scattered with no sense of organization. Just my 2 cents...
I like the white colour. I also believe that more work should be done. I'd like to see a final version of the style so to have a clearer vision.

Just giving my 2 cents.
Hire me for your update/upgrade forum inquiries or your forum tasks (installation , set up , etc)
Have I been of any help today? Buy me a beer.
Joyce&Luna
Name: Anke

Post by Joyce&Luna »

So here is just baited, so that the discussion takes place on Area51.
I have no problem continuing the discussion there. But frankly, I doubt that others do it and register there.
Only the same people write there. Here you would achieve much more than in Area51.
The information from the first post or blog is not even available in Area51.
If there should be further discussions that go into detail, it would be appropriate to start a new topic there or to pick up the older topic.

I am willing to discuss tips and suggestions for designing the new design. Then please start there a ensprechendes topic with your ideas.
My contributions are translated from German to English by google. This can lead to misunderstanding.

phpBB Style Design
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

This topic is meant as further elaboration of the blog post and a place to discuss its topic. The various more technical details can be found on Area51. This topic is also the place where we'll be showing further mock-ups and development when we get there.

Please continue discussion here on the development of this theme or discussion on the blog post, we would like to keep replies here on-topic. Thanks everyone!
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

jrolson wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 pm
Dan Stylez wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:10 pm Will there be a way to switch between list view and grid view? (similar to eBay search pages)
Like this idea! :D
Me too 8-)
Will there be a custom.scss where users can change colors and design?
Somehow there must be a possibility of adaptation/change. Otherwise all forums would look exactly the same. :lol:
However, this will probably be complicated/relearning with the new code.
There you have finally gained an insight into the current style files... :)

About the style: The new style should be modern, right?
This blue with the cyclamen coloured icons is rather something for women's forums. Besides, the header part somehow gets lost in the whole thing.
Otherwise I like the new style.
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
🎨 All my styles are updated to 3.3.8 and can be downloaded here
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

Once again this is not the new design! There is no design layer yet! We are focusing on the structure of the code for each individual component and using a base wireframe layer. The demo is just something thrown together for you to interact with some of the components and showcase how easily you can apply a design. Please have a look at all the individual components on the codepen collection for updates as that is where we are in the development process.

For example here is the same demo with a theme to attempt to recreate the blizzard forums
https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/rKKzXY?editors=1100

As you can see it extremely easy to theme. We are still working to create all the components needed for all the other pages and get them to a state where we can do this across them all. Then we will work on the default theme design layer.
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

NICE job!!! ;) ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

Heo32

Post by Heo32 »

Great start there, Hanakin.

Having been a user of phpBB for 16 years now, I'll give some thought and feedback. I'll start with the constructive criticism first. A lot of it may be stating the obvious, but I'll point it out anyways.
  • It's very white and hard on the eyes. Some pascal colours would be nice (gray, blue, etc.), along with boarders.
  • Personally, I don't like the idea of having forums side-by-side. I think each forum should have it's own line.
  • There are other things missing, such as the number of topics, number of posts, most recent topic displayed with author's name, the time of the last post/topic, a forum description under the title, any sub-forums are not shown (if available), forum moderators (group or individuals) are not listed under the forums, as well as other things that are available here on the prosilver theme.
  • Shouldn't the header have "phpBB creating communities" and not "phpBB forum software"?
  • The YOURDOMAIN.COM is unnecessary and redundant. That should go.
Now for the compliments:
  • Clean, simple, modern looking.
  • I do like the icons used.
  • The image at the top is quite nice.
I hope that the ACP can incorporate the same look and feel as the final release of this new theme. I also look forward to your progress on this project. Thank you for getting it started. :)
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
Meowmeow

Post by Meowmeow »

The main screenshot of infamous prosilver is originally uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by myself. :mrgreen:
meetdilip

Post by meetdilip »

The new theme is really a positive change for me. I have nothing bad to say about it. If it comes as it is, I will be a very happy person.
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

@Heo32

There are a lot of problems with prosilver when it comes to using forums and most forums, in general, do a lot of things wrong to account for usability & cross-platform delivery. We are not setting out to create a new theme to simply replace prosilver! We are reimagining what a forum is at the individual component level. Nothing has been left out or forgotten. We have relocated several things or are rendering them in more appropriate ways. You have to take a step back when doing UI design and think about each part of an individual component. You have to rank or give them a weight of importance. Depending on this we can determine how to handle them. Things like the last post have no real added benefit on the forum other than a quick link to the last post. This can be achieved via a simple icon link rather than dedicated massive amounts of space. The same goes for replies/views/etc... In fact, the same can be said for everything other than the icon/image, title and description--even the subforums. For most forums, these are not used or used very frugally.

Everything in fact that you mentioned is there in the demo just hover and click around or look again ;)

There are something that have been removed though. For example no more moderator section on the forums this seemed pointless and not very useful in this location.

YOURDOMAIN is required as not all logos have taglines in the logomark.

As for the phpbb logo its fine its not the logo for a reason!

The color scheme is non-existent yet, but keep in mind this is a default theme for you to color yourself! That's why the Codename of Chameleon. Its a personal preference.
RomaamoR
Name: Roman

Post by RomaamoR »

And what about accelerated mobile pages (AMP)?
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

RomaamoR wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:22 pm And what about accelerated mobile pages (AMP)?
AMP is bad for the internet :P Not sure we'd be on board with annexing everyone's websites/forums to basically be under Google's control.

But if you really want it AMP can probably be done/accomplished by an extension.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
RomaamoR

Post by RomaamoR »

DavidIQ wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:58 pm
RomaamoR wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:22 pm And what about accelerated mobile pages (AMP)?
AMP is bad for the internet
:shock:
For Google it is now paramount. Many webmasters, including me, receive emails from Google that mobile traffic is now the first in the search.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

RomaamoR wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:36 pm :shock:
For Google it is now paramount. Many webmasters, including me, receive emails from Google that mobile traffic is now the first in the search.
Yes to get you to adopt THEIR standards, to get you to follow THEIR rules, to get you to give up control of how your site works, etc. If that's the sort of thing you want then that's fine. Use an extension whenever someone has the desire to do one, although that's not likely to be possible. Also this is off-topic as a style would not make the site AMP-enabled.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
RomaamoR

Post by RomaamoR »

I understood. You do not like to follow Google rules. :D

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles in Development”