[DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.2.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
david63
Name: David Wood

Re: [DEV] [OFFICIAL] CODENAME: Chameleon

Post by david63 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:25 am

Hanakin wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:43 pm
Are we stuck in our ways for what a forum is and should be.
On a point of terminology I assume you are referring to the whole board and not an individual forum.

No we are not stuck in our ways as a conscious decision was made way back in the early days as to the way that phpBB would be. Perhaps a better question would be "Should phpBB change direction as to the way it functions?" I suspect that there would be so many answers to that question covering every possible variation that it would be impossible to arrive at a consensus but the ultimate decision for that rests with phpBB's Management Team.
Hanakin wrote:
How it looks and functions?
These are subjective. I suspect that I am representative of most members of this board when I say there some aspects of phpBB that could be improved but that most of them do not present any problems. As for "look and feel" that is customisable so not of major concern.
Hanakin wrote:
I would like to ask for some of your opinions though given the scope of the changes made to the blizzard forums.
I don't know what the Blizzard board was like before any changes so I am unable to offer any opinion but you have to bear in mind that Blizzard is a public company with 10k employees and a $7.5 billion revenue stream - totally at the opposite end of the spectrum to phpBB.

I am not totally opposed to change where it is necessary (although that can sometimes be questionable!) but I do not agree with change for change's sake just because it seems to be a good idea.

For what you are talking about the whole of phpBB would need re-writing "from the ground up" - perhaps it is the time for that - I don't know, but what I do know is that at this moment in time phpBB does not have the resources to achieve that.

If we are not careful here we will find ourselves in a "tail wagging the dog" situation (in fact we already are to some extent!) and the one overriding factor that appears to be ignored is who is phpBB aimed at? - and that answer is the end user and in my experience the majority of end users do not want change and are basically happy with the product out there now - yes I know that some want more features but they are possible with extensions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

mrgoldy
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Gijs

Post by mrgoldy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:42 pm

The thing is, in the end Chameleon is going to be the 'default style' for phpBB. Which, in my opinion, should just be a 'standard' lay out. Modernized and nice, don't get me wrong, but it should be clear for everyone to understand and get around with. Young and old, experienced and inexperienced.

I understand that this might not end up being your personal ideal view of the style, but perhaps you can make an additional edition. Much like the 'prosilver Special Edition'. That way you can also assure that the base style is fully extendable and customisable.

---

On a different train of thought; It might also be possible to create some actual settings for styles to use? Currently there are I don't know how many settings in the ACP, but (close to) none are about actual appearences of the board. Some determine if an element/functionality shows up, but nothing determines how things should look.

What would be the downside of adding a couple of settings that can be used by style authors? Either with a note for the Administrators that the implementation may vary depending on the style. Or require style authors to include some style.cfg file (which some styles already use) where they define which settings they support. This file can then be read by the core and displayed in the ACP, to prevent confusion with administrators.

Examples of those settings could be;
- Display the miniprofile on the left / right
- Use "Icon only" buttons
- Use the "night mode" (dark vs light variations)
- Use grid view (grid vs list view)
- ... Et cetera.
But I am not a style author myself, nor familar with it, so can't really tell what those settings should be nor if it's feasible.
Just a thought. :thinking:

Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:58 pm

mrgoldy most of those examples are more user preference settings. Not ACP level settings. The question for that would be weather it should be stored in the DB/Local Storage/Cookies. Also keep in mind that Chamelon is not nessecarily the base style its more accurately the root style library. We can easily release multiple base styles that leverage different configurations extremely easily. You could have a PS grid/PS Dark version with little to no change to the source files.

But what we are really getting at here is what is nessecary how it is and what can be improved upon as this is the best time to address it at the individual component level. I will post some examples I have been working on later as I am at work at the moment and do not have access to codepen.

Dan Stylez

Post by Dan Stylez » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm

I'm not a fan of the post slider on the forum Hanakin linked to, Flarum has a similar idea, https://discuss.flarum.org/d/21101-demos-come-to-flarum It's pretty fiddly.

You could probably do with starting a separate topic to ask people if there is anything they've seen on other sites that they'd like to have on their own forums, you'd probably get a lot of good suggestions there.

One thing I've heard a lot over the years from people who like to just install the software and use the style it comes with is that a built in dark version of the default style would be handy.
When you’re hot, you’re hot... when you’re cold, you’re not hot.

Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Dan Stylez wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm
One thing I've heard a lot over the years from people who like to just install the software and use the style it comes with is that a built in dark version of the default style would be handy.
Already planned ;)

Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:33 am

as promised here are some examples of components inspired by the post above

alternate topic rows: https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/deNPVZ?editors=1100
page navigation: https://codepen.io/hanakin/pen/jBNdyj

neither of these are finalized or set in stone, just examples of components inspired by the blizzard forum changes.

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:11 am

What about extensions? Will there be template events or some completely different approach is planned?

Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by Hanakin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Not really in the scope of this conversation as we are not anywhere near that stage yet. However yes the current plan is to have events but the implementation may be need to be tweaked to allow for more flexibility and control. Again though it will still need a through discussion on area51 when that time comes.

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles in Development”