[CDB] Prosilver (Dark Edition)

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.2.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Re: [DEV] Prosilver (Dark Edition)

Post by Tastenplayer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:18 pm

Gumboots wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 pm
I assume the default board icons are temporary. Should be one of the best when it's finished.
Well, if it is a prosilver dark edition, the icons of the prosilver should also remain.
Here are the alternative Darkicons:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... ver_based/

With the font color on this style, you definitely have to be careful. You never know how the users configured their devices (readability under several conditions).
Last edited by Tastenplayer on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My phpBB Style Board & More β€’ FlowerPower 3.2.8 Screenshots & Download
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 pm

It's not just Prosilver. It's a complete revamp. And anyway, you know perfectly well that anyone making their own style will detail it however they like. You can hardly argue against that. ;)
Here are the alternative Darkicons...
Not bad. Is a PSD or XCF available? Gif is a bit out of date these days. They'd be better as PNG, preferably sized for high density screens and scaled in the CSS.

ETA: Downloaded them for a look. Pretty jaggy. One of the drawbacks of trying to make transparent gifs. TBH I don't think they're up to the standard of the rest of this style.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Had a look around. IMO this set is a better option: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... lver_icons

PNG buy default, which is handy. Disadvantage is they are small, which is not so good for high density screens. Advantage is they come with a PSD, so scaling them up should be fairly quick and easy. And if anyone preferred the rounded rectangle style of the other set, substituting a rounded rectangle for the circle in this set would be easy.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:09 pm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:53 pm
IMO this set is a better option
Well hopefully Christian doesn't have too much problem convincing the author for permission to use them. πŸ˜‰ I like those too.

Their earlier statement was "As for the icons, those are being replaced with pure CSS equivalents with a complimentary colour palette. This will negate any crispy edges or issues with the resolution."

I'm not sure exactly what "pure CSS" means in this context. But since alternate color palettes and "any issues with resolution" will be negated, I've been assuming it meant embedded SVG or possibly font-based vectors. Or something I'm just not aware of.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Sounds like it will be impossible for him to convince the author to let him use them. :lol:

Obviously the new ones can't be "pure CSS", but it will be interesting to see what he does come up with. How good are the font-based ones these days? There used to be a problem with Font Awesome breaking if a non-standard font size was set in the browser. Mind you that was a few years back, so could have been fixed.

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: [RC] Prosilver (Dark Edition)

Post by Christian 2.0 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Style released. See first post for download link :)
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 pm
Obviously the new ones can't be "pure CSS"
Technically speaking, they're not. Indeed we use FontAwesome and then some CSS magic to make them look pretty.

Here's a screenshot of them zoomed in at 500% in the browser:
9d00ea81e2396a90fd645bc7e6928831.png
I've made it very easy for admins to revert back to the traditional icon images if that's what they prefer. There's no shortage of dark icons around, including these badboys I made back in 2013 :)

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm

Yes I saw that 2013 pack already. They're rather good.

I'll download the style and play around with it.

in_so@pta

Post by in_so@pta » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 pm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:25 pm
Yes I saw that 2013 pack already. They're rather good.

I'll download the style and play around with it.
The Link is not working ;)

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 pm
Aha. Now this is stylish. Nice work.

Given the standard of detailing so far, I assume the default board icons are temporary. Should be one of the best when it's finished.
Thank you! Yep, those icons were original from prosilver and have now been replaced by CSS icons.

Check out the screenshots in the first post. Theme is back up for download :)

Findin-Ma-Way

Post by Findin-Ma-Way » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 am

Hello, great style, just installed and really blown away with the transformation of my forum.

There are a couple of small things that you have forgot to re colour, no big deal as i changed them myself but thought you may want to change them,

Code: Select all

Post page, topic title.
.post:target h3 a {
    color: #000000;
}

Forum page, pop up box.
.jumpbox-forum-link {
    background-color: #E1EBF2;
}

User control panel, topic page, active tab. (this tab only appears if you access the user control panel when viewing a topic)
.minitabs .activetab > a, .minitabs .activetab > a:hover {
    background-color: #F9F9F9;
    color: #333333;
}

User control panel, topic page, tabs. (these tabs only appear if you access the user control panel when viewing a topic)
.minitabs .tab > a {
    background-color: #E1EBF2;
}
Thanks again for your hard work, appreciated.

Gumboots

Post by Gumboots » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 am

I'm just having a quick play with this. Nice. So far the green, grey and pink are my favourites. The pink works more like a desaturated red on this background, and doesn't give the impression of "pink" as such. I think some of the others variants would work well with a bit less saturation, but this is personal preference. I also like the centres of the "no unread" board and topic icons at #aaa rather than #fff. To my eye it fits with the "deactivated" state to not have them standing out so much.

Overall though, it's a very nice piece of work. The generally cleaner look compared to the original Prosilver would probably also work well as a light style.

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Findin-Ma-Way wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 am
Hello, great style, just installed and really blown away with the transformation of my forum.

There are a couple of small things that you have forgot to re colour, no big deal as i changed them myself but thought you may want to change them,

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the kind words, and taking the time to share these issues with me. I'll check them out and implement a fix into the download file asap :)
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 am
I also like the centres of the "no unread" board and topic icons at #aaa rather than #fff. To my eye it fits with the "deactivated" state to not have them standing out so much.
Thanks also for your kind words, glad you're enjoying it! I'll have a play with toning down the 'read' font icon colour and see how it looks. #
The generally cleaner look compared to the original Prosilver would probably also work well as a light style.
Agreed, this is definitely where the bulk of the time went on this style and definitely my premium styles. Almost every unique element in prosilver has its own font, padding, margin and colour values, so it's a nightmare to work with and always very time consuming. Hopefully less of an issue in 3.3x :)

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Findin-Ma-Way wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:38 am
Hi again,

Are you able to send screenshots for the last 3? I was able to fix the first (and found 1 or 2 other niggly little things en-route), but couldn't replicate the last 3 specifically. Thanks :)
I also like the centres of the "no unread" board and topic icons at #aaa rather than #fff. To my eye it fits with the "deactivated" state to not have them standing out so much.
I tried this, it looks excellent. Check it out:
d0fb13e2-8c83-44d9-a3b6-60cdfff2acec.png
d0fb13e2-8c83-44d9-a3b6-60cdfff2acec.png (17.95 KiB) Viewed 246 times

I'll keep trying to work through the above feedback before pushing out an update

Findin-Ma-Way

Post by Findin-Ma-Way » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Hey,
The jumpbox one only shows if you have a link forum set up,

I got the UCP mixed up with the MCP, sorry about that, if you view a topic and click the MCP link you get the page in the shot below,

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member

Post by Christian 2.0 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Ah, I see.

The MCP tabs have been fixed. The jumpbox issue only occurs when you have an unnested forum alongside other categories, which isn't too common.

That has been fixed too.

Download link updated :)

Return to β€œ[3.2.x] Styles in Development”