[CDB] Prosilver (Dark Edition)

For style authors to post and receive feedback on 3.2.x styles still in development. Any development styles you wish to use on your live board should be installed with caution!
<<=Aquiles=>>

Re: [RC] Prosilver (Dark Edition)

Post by <<=Aquiles=>> »

Christian 2.0 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:25 pm
Thank you so much for the work.
This is definitely my favorite, it reminds me a lot of Digi.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Christian 2.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:09 pm
Gumboots wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:49 am
The generally cleaner look compared to the original Prosilver would probably also work well as a light style.
Agreed, this is definitely where the bulk of the time went on this style and definitely my premium styles. Almost every unique element in prosilver has its own font, padding, margin and colour values, so it's a nightmare to work with and always very time consuming. Hopefully less of an issue in 3.3x :)
I haven't got far enough with the default Prosilver to notice that yet, but I have noticed there is one hell of a lot of superfluous code in the CSS files. When using the document inspector I spend most of my time digging through all the overridden declarations to find out which one is actually still working.

By the way, what's the logic behind the default CSS declaring tag and class name all over the place? All that does in the vast majority of cases is add specificity you don't need, thereby making adjustments later down the cascade more convoluted, as well as just generally bloating the file. The whole point of having classes is so you don't need to call by tag*.

And there are some declarations which are simply not needed at all. They can be thrown out without it making the slightest bit of difference to the rendered result. As just one example, take this in base.css:

Code: Select all

ol,
ul {
	list-style: none;
	margin: 0;
	padding: 0;
}
Which is followed by this in common.css:

ul {
	list-style-type: disc;
}

ol {
	list-style-type: decimal;
}
Now if you were a radically-minded sort of bloke, you might be wondering what the point was of globally declaring list-style: none; in base.css if you are going to globally declare it as something else in the next file you load. Doesn't really seem to make an awful lot of sense. Anyway yes, clean is good. More cleanerer = more betterer. I'm too lazy to sort through code I don't need. :D

*I know that calling by tag makes for more efficient processing in javascript, but that doesn't apply to CSS. CSS is the other way around.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Gumboots wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:01 pm
By the way, what's the logic behind the default CSS declaring tag and class name all over the place? All that does in the vast majority of cases is add specificity you don't need, thereby making adjustments later down the cascade more convoluted, as well as just generally bloating the file. The whole point of having classes is so you don't need to call by tag*.
Yep. There's no logical reason for this. Prosilver is 13-14 years old and has been iterated multiple times by many different developers. Things definitely wouldn't be the case on a 2019 remake.
Gumboots wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:01 pm
And there are some declarations which are simply not needed at all. They can be thrown out without it making the slightest bit of difference to the rendered result. As just one example, take this in base.css:

ol,
ul {
	list-style: none;
	margin: 0;
	padding: 0;
}
Which is followed by this in common.css:

ul {
	list-style-type: disc;
}

ol {
	list-style-type: decimal;
}
Now if you were a radically-minded sort of bloke, you might be wondering what the point was of globally declaring list-style: none; in base.css if you are going to globally declare it as something else in the next file you load. Doesn't really seem to make an awful lot of sense.
So, there's some important context on this one. Core elements like ul and li have default padding and margin values. Base.css is used to remove all of those browser defaults, so that the developer is in full control and knows exactly what they're working with (and that's particularly important in prosilver, as a lot of its core structure is based on ul and li. So it's true this will create some cases where properties are defined more than once, but we're only talking about kb's of data that is negligible on anything better than dial-up :)
🚀 Premium phpBB StylesPremium phpBB 3.3 StylesphpBB sidebar Extension
Previously known as Christian 2.0
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

Oh sure, I get that normalize.css and base.css are used to sort sane baselines for further coding. That's perfectly normal. My example (and it's only one example) was specifically about list-style. That's declared as none in base.css, then declared as something else in common.css, when it could simply have been declared in common.css and had exactly the same effect. Both declarations apply to all cases of ul, so there's no advantage in doing it twice, so I'm looking at it and scratching my head. I've found several other cases of stuff that ain't needed, and I'm sure there's stack of similar examples I haven't found yet.

Re the kb's: sure, I get that it terms of total kb it's not that big an issue. A handful of avatars can have more kb than all the Prosilver CSS files put together. From my perspective it's more a case of the number of lines of code to deal with. If I decide I want to tweak things, wading through crap that isn't necessary rapidly leads to swearing at monitors. :D
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Finally! Someone made a prosilver dark edition without the fluff. :lol: Thanks!

I'll monitor this work and hope for a final release to use. I really like the yellow and dark look as it would match my forum logo quite well.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello Christian 2.0, I am still very pleased with the successful design. :D My short feedback from the new version: Possibly helpful, if not yet known.

Background is white, difficult to read:

.cp-main .pm {
	background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
Color is black:

.current {
	color: #000000 !important;
}
Red on Red perhaps difficult to read:

div.rules {
	background-color: rgba(211,17,65,0.2);
	border: 1px solid rgba(211,17,65, 0.25);
	color: #BC2A4D;
}
It is lightblue:

table.table1 tbody tr:hover, table.table1 tbody tr.hover {
	background-color: #CFE1F6;
	color: #000;
}

Be missing:
/* PM marking colours */
==>
<div class="cp-mini"> .....
... ?

Not really important - background is (light)pink:

.posthilit {
	background-color: #F3BFCC;
	color: #BC2A4D;
}

An image --> Currently the following observation, result attachment-box: file-list
prodarkattachmentboxes231019.png
Best wishes, regards
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

Thanks again for your helpful feedback. The fixes have been implemented, and the download file has been updated :)
Talk19Zehn wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am
Be missing:
/* PM marking colours */
==>
<div class="cp-mini"> .....
... ?
This was a deliberate design choice. There was no way of making them look good.
Talk19Zehn wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am
Red on Red perhaps difficult to read
This was a deliberate design choice too. I wanted to keep the rules box subtle, as it's only likely to be read once and then never again. Something more obvious would upset the visual hierarchy and detract from the actual content.

I'm happy to point anyone to the code edits required to make that text brighter :)
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

John connor wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:16 am
Finally! Someone made a prosilver dark edition without the fluff. :lol: Thanks!
heh, thanks Aaron!
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Okay, if that's the way it should be, it's not a problem.Individually I can adapt this.
;) Usabilitys ... ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness
prosdarkerulesinred231019.png
prosdarkerulesinred231019.png (9.98 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Thanks for the reply, many greetings.

Edit: I had forgotten the picture ...
in_so@pta

Post by in_so@pta »

Any news about relese?
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member

in_so@pta wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:19 pm
Any news about relese?
Stable release has been available for a few days already. See first post for download link :)
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

Gumboots wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:27 am
Oh sure, I get that normalize.css and base.css are used to sort sane baselines for further coding. That's perfectly normal. My example (and it's only one example) was specifically about list-style. That's declared as none in base.css, then declared as something else in common.css, when it could simply have been declared in common.css and had exactly the same effect. Both declarations apply to all cases of ul, so there's no advantage in doing it twice, so I'm looking at it and scratching my head. I've found several other cases of stuff that ain't needed, and I'm sure there's stack of similar examples I haven't found yet.

Re the kb's: sure, I get that it terms of total kb it's not that big an issue. A handful of avatars can have more kb than all the Prosilver CSS files put together. From my perspective it's more a case of the number of lines of code to deal with. If I decide I want to tweak things, wading through crap that isn't necessary rapidly leads to swearing at monitors. :D
While I get the frustration lets not hijack this topic if you want I can provide any insights on the specifics for why any of the stupid, ridiculous CSS is the way it is in more detail if you like on area51 in a new topic here: https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforu ... 1491e2707f (short answer it was all added into to the mess at a later date and hacked in over the 14 years of its lifespan).
Christian 2.0 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:09 pm
definitely where the bulk of the time went on this style and definitely my premium styles. Almost every unique element in prosilver has its own font, padding, margin and colour values, so it's a nightmare to work with and always very time consuming. Hopefully less of an issue in 3.3x :)
check your Pm's please
_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Re: [CDB] Prosilver (Dark Edition)

Post by _Vinny_ »

This style has been published in styles database: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... lver_dark/

For support please post here: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... rk/support

Return to “[3.2.x] Styles in Development”