Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
kinerity
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: Anyone considering becoming a 3.0.x refugee?

Post by kinerity » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Methen wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm
if you do not mind a small suggestion you should try and duplicate the lay out they have here on the phpbb 3.0 section like they have here viewforum.php?f=49 it would make people more comfortable cause that is what they are use to...
The layout (generally) follows the layout this site had when 3.0.x was the cat's meow. See this link.
KevC wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 pm
Your problem will be when your host upgrades php and your site stops working. You will not be able to get round that easily.
Part of the reason I run my own VPS. I have control over what's installed. You are correct though - those that rely on their host to handle the servers are at their will.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Regardless of if you control your server or not I'd like to point out that running outdated software on a web server is both dangerous and irresponsible. phpBB 3.0 no longer receives any updates or official support of any kind, including any security issues, and neither do the PHP versions that support it. Those that want to "hold out" will be taking a big risk in doing so and need to seriously consider if it's worth it.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

kinerity
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm not that thick... ;)

The site is a temporary solution for now. I'm currently looking at the best way to allow those that wish to take that risk to have a discussion platform. I personally have already upgraded all my sites and the supporting software it runs on.

Return to “General Discussion”