Pro or not sitemap?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
dansk

Pro or not sitemap?

Post by dansk » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Should create a sitemap but there are basic ones that are free and there is a pro that costs. What's the difference and should to choose pro?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Pro or not sitemap?

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am

If you decide to use a sitemap, you need one specifically for phpBB This one is in the CDB https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... o_sitemap/

It is not a necessity as Google etc cope well with the forum structure and generally index without any problem.

dansk

Post by dansk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:10 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am
If you decide to use a sitemap, you need one specifically for phpBB This one is in the CDB https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... o_sitemap/

It is not a necessity as Google etc cope well with the forum structure and generally index without any problem.
What is CDB?Should I delete my current Sitemap from my root and google?

posey
Name: Gijs

Post by posey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 pm

That's completely up to you and your preferences/site.
If you're just using a forum with phpBB, you might want to use the phpbb focussed one.
However, if you also have an entire site around it, it's debatable.
Also if you've already submitted your sitemap for a while, I don't think it's smart changing it, but I am not an expert on sitemaps.

The CDB is Customization Database. A database of extensions for phpBB which have been validated by their Extensions team, which means the code is solid.
Customization Database
phpBB Extensions

dansk

Post by dansk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:43 pm

posey wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 pm
That's completely up to you and your preferences/site.
If you're just using a forum with phpBB, you might want to use the phpbb focussed one.
However, if you also have an entire site around it, it's debatable.
Also if you've already submitted your sitemap for a while, I don't think it's smart changing it, but I am not an expert on sitemaps.

The CDB is Customization Database. A database of extensions for phpBB which have been validated by their Extensions team, which means the code is solid.
Customization Database
phpBB Extensions
Just have a forum and it's phpbb. Fixed sitemap too long ago but i can replace it with phpbb own if it makes a difference.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:14 pm

If you have a fixed Sitemap is is probably not doing too much for your forum. I would delete both it and the indexing link on Google to prevent errors.

You don't NEED a sitemap, but if you want to use one the link I gave previously will suite you perfectly

dansk

Post by dansk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:14 pm
If you have a fixed Sitemap is is probably not doing too much for your forum. I would delete both it and the indexing link on Google to prevent errors.

You don't NEED a sitemap, but if you want to use one the link I gave previously will suite you perfectly
What wrong? Why would not you need a sitemap for? If you are using Google's webmaster, it's good to have a sitemap so it can read what's and makes it easier for google. Am I wrong or misunderstood the importance of sitemap?
But if I still want a sitemap, should I delete the current one and fix another from the link you entered?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:30 am

Site maps are generally for sites with static data, to update it you need to edit it. For sites with dynamic data such as bulletin boards you need a dynamic site map and, I presume, the one James mentioned is dynamic to suit phpBB?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am

dansk wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm
<snop> it's good to have a sitemap </snip>
It might be good to have a sitemap, but it is not NEEDED. Google is a lot cleverer than most people realise, and will index your forum without any problem.

As both Mick and I have stated, if you want a sitemap you the one I linked to previously is what you want to use. The static one you have already may be doing more harm than good. Delete it and use the one thats made for the purpose.

dansk

Post by dansk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:02 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:30 am
Site maps are generally for sites with static data, to update it you need to edit it. For sites with dynamic data such as bulletin boards you need a dynamic site map and, I presume, the one James mentioned is dynamic to suit phpBB?
How check if it is static or dynamic?

dansk

Post by dansk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:03 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am
dansk wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 pm
<snop> it's good to have a sitemap </snip>
It might be good to have a sitemap, but it is not NEEDED. Google is a lot cleverer than most people realise, and will index your forum without any problem.

As both Mick and I have stated, if you want a sitemap you the one I linked to previously is what you want to use. The static one you have already may be doing more harm than good. Delete it and use the one thats made for the purpose.
Listen to you

dansk

Post by dansk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:08 pm

If you do not get any of the folder, should I upload it all to root? How do I add it to a Google Webmaster?

dansk

Post by dansk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm

No one knows how to make it work? First they say it's this one you'll use then so when you ask they do not answer.

posey
Name: Gijs

Post by posey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:42 am

They are trying to help you.
You make a (rather unclear) enquiry and they provide you with an answer, in their spare time. So yeah, it might be possible that they don't instantly respond to a topic in General Discussion...

You have to download the SEO Sitemap Extension and place it in your Extensions folder as: root/ext/shredder/sitemap/readme.md
Then in your Administration Control Panel (ACP) under Customise enable the "phpBB3 SEO Sitemap" extension.

Helpful links:

dansk

Post by dansk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:10 am

posey wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:42 am
They are trying to help you.
You make a (rather unclear) enquiry and they provide you with an answer, in their spare time. So yeah, it might be possible that they don't instantly respond to a topic in General Discussion...

You have to download the SEO Sitemap Extension and place it in your Extensions folder as: root/ext/shredder/sitemap/readme.md
Then in your Administration Control Panel (ACP) under Customise enable the "phpBB3 SEO Sitemap" extension.

Helpful links:

Have I said something else or? And no, it does not work as you say, so much I know too!

Return to “General Discussion”