Are Facebook, VK and other social nets killing your forums?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
olsserik

Re: Are Facebook, VK and other social nets killing your forums?

Post by olsserik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 am

It would be interesting to see some stats from e.g Phpbb on downloads or likewise.

"The death of Forums" due to Facebook is a well established sentence in my niche. Extremely sad, not only for us who likes and runs forums. It is a spiral downwards; stop posting on forums -> less info to index by search engines -> people do not find what they looking for -> starts a group on FB.

Here are some more info: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2215216

Willoughby_wx

Post by Willoughby_wx » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:41 am

For us - yes. But people know we're a great source of good information and they come back.

Variations mainly due to severe winter weather impact, but you get the idea...
Capture.PNG

newsbee

Post by newsbee » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 pm

I agree with the logical portrayal of forums as libraries and FB etc. as daily papers.

Theoretically, you go to a library to look for whatever you need to know, but, according to my experience with the forum vs social net, people tend to ask same questions again and again in the daily newspaper, rather than go to the library i.e. forum. So there is no need to scroll down to find a story that was published six months ago - you just repeat your question and get a new answer, often from new people and sometimes a better answer than six months ago.

I've lost one huge discussion board to a social network group that I myself set up to promote the board in the first place, and now amstruggling to keep going a smaller version of the same board, by adding lots of off-topic forums to make it more attractive. It does attract lots of spammers, but Facebook users do not return.

In my opinion, people have changed along with the social networks. All they want is to post their stuff, get a couple of likes and continue posting.

Besides, even with niche subjects, you do not need to go a forum with your question, the Internet now has all the answerss, just Google.

No?

Return to “General Discussion”