Images Hijacked by Photobucket?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Re: Images Hijacked by Photobucket?

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Use attachments or viewtopic.php?t=2407621
Host the images on your own server. Way better! ;)

v12mike

Post by v12mike » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:27 am

I have made some minor updates to my image download scripts and extension.
https://github.com/v12mike/fetch-external-images
https://github.com/v12mike/imageredirect

The operational changes are:
  • The link extraction script now (by default) ignores pbpBB V3.1 format image links. This speeds up operation.
  • The download files script now (by default) adds the original file extension to the downloaded file. This allows compatibility with .svg files and perhaps some other file types that browsers will not render without the correct filename extension.
  • The download script now (by default) adds the filename extension to a previously downloaded file if it was not present.
  • The download script now (by default) skips the download of any file for which a http 404 response has been previously received. If the original server couldn't find it then, it is unlikely to find it now...
  • The Download script keeps a list of hosts which do not give valid responses to curl requests, and skips any further files located on that host. This list is recreated on each running of the script.
  • The download script now (by default) handles http redirects in the script, rather than in curl, as some hosting companies put restrictions on curl redirects.
  • The imageredirect extension now handles locally stored image files with or without filename extensions, for compatibility with the current or older versions of the download script
To upgrade to the new version of scripts, It is important to follow the correct sequence:
  • First install the new version of the image redirect script
  • Then install and run the new version of "extract_external_links.php" If you used default parameters before, they should still be OK
  • Then install and run the new version of "download_external_images.php" If you used default parameters before, they should still be OK

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 am

Effective 9 September 2019, Photobucket is now both watermarking AND blurring images posted by any free member whose remote-linked images exceed 25MB in bandwidth (calculated on a rolling basis). This basically means ALL images. So Photobucket has gone back on their public statements that they had lifted image blocking for former free accounts.

v12mike

Post by v12mike » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:10 am

KYPREO wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 am
Effective 9 September 2019, Photobucket is now both watermarking AND blurring images posted by any free member whose remote-linked images exceed 25MB in bandwidth (calculated on a rolling basis). This basically means ALL images. So Photobucket has gone back on their public statements that they had lifted image blocking for former free accounts.
Yes, and there now seems to bee no way to download images in the original format, which reduces the benefit of my scripts, but having a blurred and watermarked image is better than no image.

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:14 am

I have a potential workaround. I will PM you about it as i definitely don't want to alert the Photobucket people! ;)

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:39 am

KYPREO wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:14 am
I have a potential workaround. I will PM you about it as i definitely don't want to alert the Photobucket people! ;)
Don't worry, they won't be alerted to it as long as you stick to openly informing users that you'll PM them the solution so as not to alert PhotoBucket.

Code: Select all

We regret to inform you that your application to enter Spyschool has been denied.
:P

Holger

Post by Holger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am

:lol: :oops:

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am

Touche :D

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 am

KYPREO wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:40 am
Touche :D
It happens to just about anyone, I just couldn't resist the temptation to make a little bit of fun with it. (And I am glad you're accepting it as it was meant, and not pejorative). :thumbsup:

But seriously, once a user wanted to send me some private information (not here) but he wasn't authorised to use the PM system. So what he did was write a post explaining that the "private" information he was sending to me was in the spoiler so that it wouldn't become public :shock:

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:05 am

warmweer wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 am
what he did was write a post explaining
He should have explained that you should contact him. This is what I consider "willful stupidity" and I would have warned the user to ban him if he repeated to not think carefully about his possibilites.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am

AmigoJack wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:05 am
This is what I consider "willful stupidity" and I would have warned the user to ban him if he repeated to not think carefully about his possibilites.
Taking that stance is fine when dealing with a usergroup (or a user) from which that kind of action should be unthinkable. In this case it wasn't and your action (in this specific case shortsighted) would have caused more damage than the more or less private information being temporarily not so private.
Sometimes things aren't outright black<>white / true<>false / hot<>cold.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 am

Why are you people continuing to use PhotoBucket in light of what is going on especially given the fact there are many alternatives that exist? I use two extensions now that you can use that will solve all of your image hosting needs very easily. First, I already mentioned the Amazon S3 extension. But this requires a little know how. Especially on securing your S3 bucket. The other more viable extension is called Images Guru. I'm not too sure about that platform since they could just up and disappear tomorrow compared to the very popular imgur, but it sure beats PhotoBucket and putting up with their utter crap. I wouldn't even try hacks and workarounds. You're just prolonging the BS associated with their asinine platform. I for one would never put up with having my images blurred and watermarked.

viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2493696

It's still a release candidate but so far it has worked on my forum without issue and I do monitor my FTP all the time for any error_logs. I have asked for a few requests but they have gone unanswered.

TWEagle

Post by TWEagle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:55 am

John connor wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:43 pm
I haven't been reading the whole topic, but I just use an extension called AWS S3 which offloads attachments to AWS S3 storage. It costs me no more than 70 cents a month and that's having a bunch of other data there as well. BUT! You need to know how to use it and how to secure it. Once you do it's like having the greatest cloud-based segregation ever. So attachments will all load from a different URL rather than your host's server.

Once upon a time I used Photobucket which I liked to call Photo-F-It. Not anymore. If I'm sharing images on the Internet beyond my own forum I'll use imgur or imagesGuru. In fact, I think there was a hacker tool called Photo-F-It. I think it cracked user accounts. This was years ago though and I'm sure that vulnerability has been sense patched.

Note that the current extension version of AWS S3 doesn't work with PHP 7.2. I had someone recode it for me. I can share it if someone wants it.
This is something I like to use please

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:11 pm

This is the version that will work in PHP 7.2. https://app.box.com/s/z19jdomhkcyx532xlx8gkq1pw9bw1zh4

KYPREO

Post by KYPREO » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:54 pm

John connor wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 am
Why are you people continuing to use PhotoBucket in light of what is going on especially given the fact there are many alternatives that exist?... I wouldn't even try hacks and workarounds. You're just prolonging the BS associated with their asinine platform. I for one would never put up with having my images blurred and watermarked.
You're absolutely right, but perhaps what you haven't considered is what forum administrators would like done and what their users actually do are 2 different things.

My forum has allowed uploading of attachments since the feature was first introduced on phpBB and I've got over 50,000 images on my forum locally hosted (and backed up regularly). I have always used the attachment feature since I implemented it. However, before phpBB introduced an attachment feature, users went to free hosting sites to upload and remote link images. Most commonly this was with ImageShack which went under about 5 years ago. Users became accustomed to this and remote linked all their images. Photobucket became really popular, even before ImageShack disappeared. I estimate I have around 40,000 images hosted by Photobucket remote linked on my board. I have absolutely no control of how the users chose to host and display images in their posts. I would have preferred they uploaded them as attachments and the forum wouldn't be in this mess, but they didn't. Many of those users are now gone, some are dead. But I want to ensure the legacy they left lives on and other people can enjoy the content they posted in its original glory. I have one user who sadly passed away 3 years ago - he started a topic for his car build that now has 50+ pages and hundreds of thousands of views with over 1,000 images in there - all hosted in Photobucket. All now just a blur.

I hate the situation and to free myself, and all the users on my forum, from it, hacks and workarounds are all I have.

Once I actually have access to images and can host them myself on my own server, then I consider hosting them on the cloud (which is a great idea and I've been toying with your extension for a while, once I get as many images back as I can).

Return to “General Discussion”