help in updating 15 year old site

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
K_tonk

help in updating 15 year old site

Post by K_tonk »

Hello,

I do not have a clue how to update my website. it's over 15 years old. Can anyone recommend a web developer?

thanks for any insight.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: help in updating 15 year old site

Post by HiFiKabin »

Do you mean website or phpBB Board? This site is for phpBB support only.

We can not recommend but we can help you bring a phpBB board up to date. Either post in viewforum.php?f=661 to let us help you or viewforum.php?f=656 if you want to pay someone to do it.
Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

K_tonk wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 am
Hello,

I do not have a clue how to update my website. it's over 15 years old. Can anyone recommend a web developer?

thanks for any insight.
First, I would like to know what kind of a site is yours.

Second, if it's a forum then I suggest that you don't bother, because it's too much of a hassle to update a 15 year old site (forum?) and that has to do with outdated PHP and/or obsolete forum software etc etc.

Instead keep the old site as it is similiar what IGN in May 2012 decided to do with FilePlanet.

I know someone who is a developer, but he is busy with both family and work in RL which gives him very little time left to be active on his forum. I also doubt he is willing to do some work for someone else when he has his own project to work with, unless he need money a lot money.
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

if you are talking about a phpBB board that is 15 years old, it shouldn't be any harder to upgrade it now that it would be if it was only 5 years old etc.

it is a process.
part of that process will be to upgrade the php version on your server so that the newer versions of phpBB will run properly.
that usually takes about 1 minute if you have the access to the control panel of your hosting account.

if you wanting to hire someone to do this you should post in the correct forum here:
viewforum.php?f=656
supply the information and those of us that are interested can reply to you there.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”