Opera 9.5 released.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Re: Opera 9.5 released.

Post by SamG » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:01 pm

Mike Barlow wrote:Windows ME... as for that, I have nothing to say, nothing at all. Let's all try to forget about WinME. :P
Absolutely.
dhn wrote:Yes, but did you test on Windows 95...?
That is an excellent suggestion, and I do have a couple [legal!] copies of Win95 here that I could use for that purpose. Testing under Win98 is much easier for me, since I use it regularly, but for the sake of completeness, and as soon as I get a drive loaded up with Win95 and complete the test, I'll report back.

:P
We should talk less, and say more.

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:15 pm

Double_J wrote:have not yet tried the debugger toolkits for development of Javascript and such, but will surely try those too.
Have you had a chance to play with these yet? Opera's out-of-the-box ability to assist during development is one of its benefits, IMHO, so I really need to set some time aside and just tinker with the new tools.

MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Post by MGadAllah » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:50 am

Why any one may still need to use 95!?

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Nobody really does. It's all in jest, and it's because dhn is poking fun at me for actually making a comment about Opera 9.5 compatibility with Win98 :) . It's like, who cares?? And that's probably true.

Not to change the subject, but there are two things about Opera as a "project" that make it's life difficult, I think. The first is its "values":
Why does Opera always emphasize that it follows W3Cs standards?

Opera believes in an Internet where everyone can meet, innovate and thrive. For this to happen certain international standards must be followed by everyone. The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) [www.w3.org] develops interoperable technologies (specifications, guidelines, software, and tools) that make this possible. We don't want to own or monopolize the Internet, we want an Internet that stays true to its true ideals....
The second is its chief competitor:
Why is Opera's default identification set to Internet Explorer?

Opera needs to identify itself as Internet Explorer, as some sites simply will not let Opera in. This includes many Microsoft sites and others. Some sites also fail without warning if the user tries to identify the browser as Opera or as an unknown browser. This is particularly true for sites running Microsoft IIS server, since Microsoft introduced a method that makes all unknown browsers fail and decided not to include Opera on the list of known browsers.
Together, these two things cost Opera, perhaps a great deal. For example, not a few web-based applications run in Microsoft environments. I work with one that is in the process of certifying Firefox (currently IE7 is the sole supported browser); Opera has no chance of even getting on the table.

So, should Opera do what Mozilla has done to a degree and figure, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em?

symbolicpixel

Post by symbolicpixel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:29 pm

I see what you guys mean! This is news to me because I never read about websites that become picky with internet browsers as sites would block them without valid excuse(s). But only JavaScript would be one thing to use to ensure all bases (IE, Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Konqueror, Safari) are covered. If I get me a website, I wouldn't do anything crazy like that. I wouldn't block browsers and be picky with them.

$.X

jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:00 pm

symbolicpixel wrote:I see what you guys mean! This is news to me because I never read about websites that become picky with internet browsers as sites would block them without valid excuse(s). But only JavaScript would be one thing to use to ensure all bases (IE, Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Konqueror, Safari) are covered. If I get me a website, I wouldn't do anything crazy like that. I wouldn't block browsers and be picky with them.

$.X
It's not altogether a choice or being picky at that matter. Many web designers find it hard to keep up with every browser simply because every browser parses that page differently. In many cases three different browsers will display a page with particular dissimilarities. This is very frustrating and something hard to keep up with if things go out of hand. That's why people think it's easier to simply discontinue support for non-popular browsers.

Return to “General Discussion”