Forum names

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Forum names

Post by Brf » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:53 am

Jav's Forumz sounds pretty boring to me.
I would think a more functional name would draw more interest.

juniper76

Post by juniper76 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:24 am

Is there a special topic you are covering in your forum? That is where I would start. Otherwise, is the forum going to be about you? ;)

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:49 pm

Brf wrote:Jav's Forumz sounds pretty boring to me.
I would think a more functional name would draw more interest.
I totally agree - my interests cover model aircraft, fishing and caravanning. Now I can type any of those topics into Google and come up with a set of sites. I would not visit one that said Jav's Forumz.
I would also be put off by the spelling of the words "Forums" and may well decide that your site was aimed at a very young userbase (10 to 15 years of age I would think)

The name says nothing at all about the content of the site unless of course yours is one of the increasing number that say "Discuss anything on here" [sigh!!]

You need to decide what your site is about and get a Domain name that reflects that.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

god0fgod

Post by god0fgod » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:52 pm

I just put "[Website name here] forums". Does the job.

kzone

Post by kzone » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:19 am

I think a short name is always good. A "sentence" type domain is never appealing. I don't know whether is irrelevant but a .com domain is better (my opinion)

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:19 am

The same name as the rest of the site works for me. The forum doesn't need it's own name.

Funk Theory

Post by Funk Theory » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:11 am

i think a name can be boring but it depends what its trying to say if that makes sense?! Joe Bloggs Forum sounds dull and wouldnt earn much by googling etc if you wanted to find a place to chat about what you were interested in. On the other hand if were interested in football and you googled your team for example the name would be boring but it serves its purpose and does its job imo.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:21 pm

I am not sure why you would find the team name boring!
In my opinion the Domain name should say something about the content of the site if it is going to attract folk to look at it. If I Google for say "Manchester United discussion forum" I would expect to find a list of such sites - I would hard bother to have a look at the content of the site called JoeBloggsDiscuz.com as it would likely have pulled that one out in a search for someone having posted that they like Manchester United.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:20 am

Does the overall theme of your board have a real-life counterpart?

My board, which provides a place of Christian discussion & debate, can in a way be compared to a church's fellowship hall or other informal meeting place; therefore, I went with the name "The Fellowship Hall Christian Forums," after searching around to see if the name had been used elsewhere.

All sorts of topics have real-life counterparts that can be used as-is or tweaked to be unique as board titles; some of these counterparts include arcades (gaming), arenas or sports bars (sports), schools (education), town halls (politics), and so on.

Return to “General Discussion”