Fuel drivers offered 14% pay rise

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
rickyreter40

Fuel drivers offered 14% pay rise

Post by rickyreter40 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:36 pm

What do we all think about the latest tanker strike????

Tanker drivers delivering fuel for Shell have been offered a 14% pay increase over two years after their four-day strike hit UK fuel supplies.

The increase will be worth 9% in the first year and 5% in the second, taking average annual earnings to £41,750.

Drivers and union officials rejected an earlier offer of about £36,000. The union representing the drivers, Unite, has urged them to accept the new offer.

The strike affected petrol stations and oil depots across the UK this week.

ummmmm..... :roll:

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Re: Fuel drivers offered 14% pay rise

Post by Jim_UK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:49 pm

I have little sympathy with the drivers. They have complained that their pay of £30,000+ has not changed for the last 15 years!
Well I am sorry but they are already earning twice the National average and for a job that requires no qualifications other than to be good driver.
Imagine how that £30,000 compared with National earnings when they got it 15 years ago!

They know that they can hold the country to ransom or even bring it to it's knees and they have exploited that.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

gilb29

Post by gilb29 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:23 am

I think its outrageous!! 14%, im in the building trade i dont see anyone helping us now the housing market has crashed there will be thousands loose there jobs in the next few weeks as june is the end of year for mosst building companys!!

Interlog

Post by Interlog » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:29 pm

Getting a 14% increase is rather steep but to say that you don't need any qualifications to drive a truck is a little naive.

You need to pass a HGV test for a starter, be subjected to medical examinations every 5 years once your passed the age of 45, in very due course have to site examinations (a driver's CPC) once in a while and I've not even started on the various bits of legislation drivers have to comply with. Furthermore, these tankerdrivers need to have an ADR certificate that needs to be earned and paid for.

Add to that the fact that their wage is not very much higher than what other professional drivers earn (Supermarket trolley drivers earn approx. £ 35000 per year), I would say that they wage is just about justified. They, in effect, are driving a bomb down the motorways.

Mark :D

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:16 am

I haven't heard about this strike aside from this topic, but it brought an observation to mind: it must be nice to be able to strike in demand of a few thousand dollars extra per year while countless families are fortunate if they see a few hundred dollars throughout an entire year.

I've no problem if a person is well-to-do, but to refuse to do work until you receive so much extra per year?

That just seems incredibly, well, like the behavior of a spoiled child.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Interlog wrote:Getting a 14% increase is rather steep but to say that you don't need any qualifications to drive a truck is a little naive.

You need to pass a HGV test for a starter, be subjected to medical examinations every 5 years once your passed the age of 45, in very due course have to site examinations (a driver's CPC) once in a while and I've not even started on the various bits of legislation drivers have to comply with. Furthermore, these tankerdrivers need to have an ADR certificate that needs to be earned and paid for.

Add to that the fact that their wage is not very much higher than what other professional drivers earn (Supermarket trolley drivers earn approx. £ 35000 per year), I would say that they wage is just about justified. They, in effect, are driving a bomb down the motorways.

Guess we shall have to agree to differ then.
Of course you need to pass the HGV driving test. I should have explained myself more clearly. What I meant was no academic qualifications. There are folks (like myself) that had to go into further education and then on to university to take degrees to get into their chosen "professions" and had no opportunity to earn a bean until they were in their twenties. As a teacher of 40 years experience and a head of department I did not earn as much when I retired as they were earning 15 years ago.
The National average wage now is about 1/2 of what they were earning 15 years ago. It beggars belief that they could effectively hold the country to ransom by their actions.
If they do not feel that they get enough for what they do let them find something else that will pay as well. I am unsure what a "Supermarket trolley driver" is but how about that if they feel hard done to.
I doubt there would be any shortage of folks prepared to take their places.

Jim
The truth is out there.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:10 pm

I too am aggrieved at their pay rise. People seem to think that in science we get paid a lot. I'm certainly no where near their £32k, after just over 15 years in the job, and I haven't had a pay rise for 5 years. Unlike them, we can't hold the country to ransom for more money. We can't go on strike as too many long term projects rely on us being in work.

They may well be driving a potentially explosive material but it's not like you read about them blowing up every week. When was the last time a tanker blew up? They're getting paid a fortune for driving a lorry. That's about it. I would love to be on £32k let alone the raise they've managed to blag themselves.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Interlog

Post by Interlog » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Supermarket drivers get paid approx. £ 35000 per annum for a 50 hour week. Some of our agency drivers managed to earn £ 45000 per year last year.

Perhaps you're all in the wrong profession :shock:

There was a big shortage of drivers some years ago. So short that Companies had to go and recruit drivers from the Eastern Block.

It is one of those jobs that nobody wants to do until they realise that it is a good paid job when working for the correct employer.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Interlog wrote:Perhaps you're all in the wrong profession :shock:
Clearly was eh Kevin?
Sadly now too old to think about a career change myself.

I would like to challenge the use of the word "profession" that these days seems to be applied to all forms of work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession

Jim
The truth is out there.

Interlog

Post by Interlog » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:45 pm

From the Wikipedia page:
A profession is an occupation, vocation or career where specialized knowledge of a subject, field, or science is applied.[1] It is usually applied to occupations that involve prolonged academic training and a formal qualification. It is axiomatic that "professional activity involves systematic knowledge and proficiency."[2] Professions are usually regulated by professional bodies that may set examinations of competence, act as a licensing authority for practitioners, and enforce adherence to an ethical code of practice.
Not all of these apply to HGV drivers (and I'm not a HGV driver - I work in the industry) but the highlighted bits of the quote in my opinion apply to any HGV driver.

Something else to consider... these Hoyer/Shell drivers work 2,540 hours per year against 2,080 for your 9 till 5 person. That is an extra 460 hours per year. Something overlooked by quite a few. Their hourly wage (based on £ 41750) is £ 16.43 per hour. Compare that to a 9 till 5 manager on £ 30000 per year and there is not a lot in it.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:52 pm

I like the way you have highlighted the ones that you consider apply.
I don't think the definition said any/or some of these criteria. ;)

Jim
The truth is out there.

Interlog

Post by Interlog » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Hence why I said that not all of them apply.

OK.. call it a job then. Same difference. They get a wage to do a job. Their wage is higher than yours and mine.

Good luck to them - that's all I say.

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Interlog wrote:OK.. call it a job then. Same difference.
Just a change in perception I guess. I feel exactly the same when I see photographs in the local paper that show students that have "graduated" wearing cap and gown for the award of their GNVQ or "City and Guilds" certificates.

Non UK members would need to look up those qualifications to see what their level is.
No disrespect intended to any UK residents holding those levels.

Jim
The truth is out there.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:27 pm

Jim_UK wrote: Well I am sorry but they are already earning twice the National average and for a job that requires no qualifications other than to be good driver.
I don't know how it compares over there to the U.S. but obtaining a license here to drive such a truck is just the first step of many. To get a license like that you need to be 21, pass the tests and even go through what amounts to a background check.

Once you get it being able to use it is another matter entirely. You'll need many years experience driving other trucks with a very good driving record before a company that has such trucks will consider you. In most cases it's only the very best drivers that will be driving these trucks especially where the tractor trailers are concerned.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Who do you think will end up paying for said pay rise?

The consumer ;)
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Return to “General Discussion”