Google announces Google Chrome web browser

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Re: Google announces Google Chrome web browser

Post by stickerboy »

Playing about with it just now in work - actually not a bad little bit of sortware. Simplistic, easy to use and navigate - doesn't have all the clutter of other web browsers. Oh and <3 "stats for nerds" :mrgreen: (about:memory) - about:cache seems to work too :P
Colours on their page-source syntax highlighting could be a bit better though. Now to give her a whirl on some of my sites and see how they render.

*edit* ok the search history seems to have picked up my browsing since Monday. I've signed up with google web history and was logged in when Chrome imported my settings from Firefox. That's pretty cool. It logs the page and time it was visited (helpful for me as I often close pages i've been looking at, forget what they were and then need info from it again :lol: )

*edit 2*
So google tells me this is the list of commands that work :)
  • about:
  • about:dns
  • about:plugins
  • about:memory
  • about:cache (click on a cache item for details about it)
  • view-cache:[URL]
  • view-source:[URL]
List of keyboard short cuts: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bi ... swer=95743
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

ElbertF wrote:It's build on Webkit so it renders like Safari.
That’s good news then. It means that we don’t have to support another set of standards. Webkit does really really well already. (Safari still needs to catch up)
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.
c4gamerz

Post by c4gamerz »

I am using chrome right now and it looks cool, features and stability wise it is excellent! But i am missing my adblock, flashgot and many other firefox extensions :D i hope we will see addons for chrome soon ;)
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Uhmmm
Google Browser License Agreement wrote: 11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
Everyone okay with this? :?:
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Uhmmm
Google Browser License Agreement wrote: 11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
Everyone okay with this? :?:
I kinda figured Google would pull a fast one like that, which is why I held off on downloading it. In other words, anything you post here on phpBB.com is fair game for them, including private messages. So much for Google's motto of not being evil ...
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
jaunty_mellifluous
Name: Asad Kay

Post by jaunty_mellifluous »

I don't think they're storing everything I write in my browser. Are they?
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

jaunty_mellifluous wrote:I don't think they're storing everything I write in my browser. Are they?
You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
Yup.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Why would anyone want to give google more information than they're already getting?

Not me. No thanks.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Frost°

Post by Frost° »

I told you lol

I didn't even visit the site, nor read any of the TOS or eula.

Look at it this way...

1. Concerning that other post with the paid blogging: Yea well, that post doesn't belong to either of you anymore, once you post it google can post it as their own, on their own blog if they like it.

2. Made a mod or addon for firefox and posted it on FF website? Not yours anymore, google takes it and makes it their own for their own browser.

3. Spend hours or days doing a digital masterpiece or submit a stock photo... go ahead, it isn't yours anymore, it's google's.

4. Sent a steamy email to your wife/husband? Google employees are going to have a laugh.

5. Now what about all your personal information. Your SSN, your CC information. What you buy, where you buy it, where it's mailed too. Does your address and information become their property after you click submit? Does that mean they can now spam your address with advertisements in real mail format now?

I don't think so. F*** you google ;)

------

The only thing I can see good out of all of this (even though I'm sorry they will get screwed in the long run) is that more people may go away from IE and to a browser that is more standards compliant (since they stole code from someone else that got it right). Being a designer, I can only welcome this and be happy, even though it would feel wrong for me to suggest it to anyone, so I never will.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

Well that didn't take long.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Frost°

Post by Frost° »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Google Chrome vulnerable to carpet-bombing flaw

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843

Well that didn't take long.
That's what they get for stealing vulnerable code, especially from browser that was built for a Mac... right Highway? :lol:
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Oh my, while editing an user in ACP with phpbb2 it puts my personal nickname and password into the email field and the following one. That's really a no-no. :lol:

Back to Firefox. :ugeek:
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

Report it as a bug, I would.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

god0fgod wrote:Report it as a bug, I would.
I'll do. ;) In the meantime I must get back to use firefox though.

Return to “General Discussion”